Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 8:15:36 PM EDT
From what I have read I am assumeing that boxer primer verses berdan primer is better. But What do they mean. Why is boxer better than berdan. I know that you can reload the boxer but that is all that I know about them. Will one of you guys please educate me on this please. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Boxer primers were invented by a Brit and adopted for use in the US.  The primer cup in a case has one hole in the center that makes it easy to punch the spent primer out, and the powder is ignited by one jet of fire.

Berdan primers were invented by an American and adopted for use nearly every where else in the world.  The primer has two holes, so the powder gets two small jets of fire, and the primer is more difficult to remove for reloading - it can't be punched out with a regular decapping pin, other means are required, and Berdan primers are difficult to find, so almost no one reloads them in the US.

They both supply sufficient fire to ignite cordite propellant, are equally reliable, and make the gun go bang.

I suspect there is lots more info on the internet if you want to search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top