Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 7:49:34 PM EDT
Anybody here familiar with RFID tags?

How many tags would it take to overwhelm a sensor.  Say they start putting them into the seams of clothing, small appliances, MP3 players, etc, "purely for consumer research, of course", how many would it take to crash a typical reader with data overload?  

100 on a credit card you carried around with you?
1000?
more than you could possibly carry?

thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
wow

quickest thread-death ever.

when my check clears and my bronze membership kicks in, and I have a cool avatar of Hillary Clinton with a plasma rifle in the 40 watt range, you WILL respect my au-thor-i-tie.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Easily much more than you can carry. The idea is that you can wheel a pallet load of stuff by a sensor and everything will be scanned. The scanners are rated for how much they can recognize at once.

I think its something like 50+.

Thats the theory anyway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks L-G-B

holy crap, its going to take reducing them to the size of IC transistors (with a million or so on a chip) to spoof the readers.  And I suppose the readers will keep up with the technology curve as well.

they will end up spraying them on us like perfume at a department store, just a little cloud of RFID particles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Easily much more than you can carry. The idea is that you can wheel a pallet load of stuff by a sensor and everything will be scanned. The scanners are rated for how much they can recognize at once.

Thats the theory anyway.

You wouldn't happen to work in the RFID business would you?  There is a company in WA that I know does RFID work and just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks L-G-B

holy crap, its going to take reducing them to the size of IC transistors (with a million or so on a chip) to spoof the readers.  And I suppose the readers will keep up with the technology curve as well.

they will end up spraying them on us like perfume at a department store, just a little cloud of RFID particles.

Thanks! Now I'm not going to be able to leave the house unless I'm in a full NBC suit!

You're not paranoid if they're really out to get you!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A while back there was that device that supposedly was able to detect and "wash" it, cause the RFID chip to
not function... anyone heard anything about that?????????
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody got a device that can keep those evil UPC codes from working???
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the theory anyway.

You wouldn't happen to work in the RFID business would you?  There is a company in WA that I know does RFID work and just wondering.

No, but some of our customers (medical device suppliers) are asking us about using RFIDs instead of barcodes. Most RFID tags don't respond well to being sterilized...., and those that will handle it, have very short range. I did some research on it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's a kick ass company if it's the one I'm thinking of.  I had a chance to invest early on, but didn't have the cash.  I won't miss the opportunity again if/when they IPO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top