Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 6:35:04 PM EDT
All I have is pictures of what is left behind. Someone apparently left the highway, mowed down the stop sign and street sign, hit my fence and carried on their merry way. The stop sign has since been put back up but the street sign is still down

Based on the part number and the "GM" on the back of the light reflector it appears to have been a GM vehicle. Judging by what they left of the mirror, I'm guessing that it is perhaps a mid 80s Oldsmobile but I dunno.

Wire for mirror adjustment, broken mirror and inside of mirror housing

Wire for mirror adjustment, broken mirror and outside of mirror housing

Light housing, reflector side

Back side of light housing, GM maybe?

*looking South from crossroad* If you look carefully you can see where the tracks through the ditch start and that they pass right through where the sign is

*looking North from crossroad* Here you can see what is left of the street sign, a JB&D siding sign, the damage to the fence and the tire tracks.

The scary thing is that this is the second time my fence has been hit in this vicinity in less than a year. This summer a Cherokee drove through the adjacent landowner's fence on the South side of the gravel road before driving through mine about 10 yards from this location. On both occasions, the vehicle that struck the fence was traveling Northbound. My ground is on the West side of the highway meaning that to hit my fence traveling Northbound, the vehicle first has to cross the Southbound (oncoming) lane

You can see roughly where the car went back out on to the road in the above pic. It looks like they managed to drive close to 100 yards in the opposite ditch in the course of crossing one road, taking out two of the crossroad street signs, and a chunk of my fence and the siding advertisement. Unfortunately these guys didn't leave a license plate like the last guy that ran through my fence. Not that the police did anything about that either. Too many teenagers with air fresheners obstructing their view to tend to, I imagine.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that... blood or paint?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is that... blood or paint?

part of the red lens cover, not pictured
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#3]
UFO
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't identify it but if you wish to do so a trip to a local junkyard will turn it up I bet.  Just ask for the gm section and go looking.

As for the problem, I would research what is legal to do for landscaping and what is not.

Some serious mail boxes, like an I beam that goes 4 feet into the ground and has a 55 gallon drum of cement attached to it would be illegal here due to immovable object to close to road.

Some landscaping boulders are ok though.  Size and placement varies.

I found the best thing to do is say some construction down the street lost a skid of concrete block.  That truck was going so fast it scattered a whole skid of blocks along my road frontage.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Try mounting some reflectors along that corner.  It might help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Cobalt?

or other small gm car
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Somthing older, like a mid 80's caprice or somthing, maybe a delta 88.

When was the last time you could get cable adjusted manual mirrors in a GM car?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Chevette
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Somthing older, like a mid 80's caprice or somthing, maybe a delta 88.

When was the last time you could get cable adjusted manual mirrors in a GM car?

I agree, the mirror with inside wire adjustments and the chromed steel housing reminds me a lot of the 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham I used to own but I think it's a little different. Somebody here has to own one of these cars. Caprice? I think a lot of 80s Caddys had "cadillac" in script on the mirror housings... maybe not?

I'm pretty sure the Cobalt has plastic break away mirror housings. While this housing clearly broke away, I don't think it was by design and certainly not plastic.

I'm doubting it's a Chevette based on the enormous dual light housing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cobalt?

or other small gm car

If it was a newer plastic GM car, we would have a lot more to go by, as huge junks of car would be on the ground.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My dads full size 84 delta 88 LS had the same mirror.
They were also available with the painted "aero" mirror but it was smaller. I think the painted mirror was the option or vice versa
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Yikes.  Those curvy, hilly, roads are dangerous!!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
i can look the pn up tomorrow if you must know.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I sure am curious so that would be great if ya don't mind!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Those look like production code numbers .  I don’t think
they will be much help .

But FWIW , GM hasn't used cable remote mirrors since the
mid 80's  . Judging by the mirror housing . I'm thinking olds
or caddy .
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#16]
bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]
My 84 LeSabre has a remote mirror cable like that one (also used on other full size GM sedans).  1985 was the last year for the full size Buick sedan, but it could include up to 1989 GM B-body station wagons.

On second thought, it would have to be towards the end of the 80's, most of the early to mid 80's cars used sealed beam headlight modules.  That appears to take a bulb, not a sealed unit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I learned the make and model but not the year. Anyone else wanna guess? I found out a little more about the story... I will post it a little later

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Between the newspaper article and this survey marker that appears to have been hit by the antagonist in this story I figured that the offending vehicle didn't make it far and was towed off before I got home. I checked the local junkyards and found the vehicle at one of them and snapped some pics I will put up later in case anyone still wants to guess the make and model.

The story is this:

Car belongs to an airman stationed in Virginia. His dad takes the car to go see his honey in Southern IL. Dad is returning home to wifey new year's eve and for whatever reason, crosses oncoming traffic on the highway and slams into my fence, etc. Daddy flees on foot and somehow makes his way back to Iowa. He was allegedly driving on a revoked license. I wonder why?

Anyhoo, in the process of lousing up my fence, the guy manages to tear the bumper off the car. Being the conscientious fellow he is, he leaves it in the highway where another motorist strikes it and his car is disabled resulting in a twofer tow, destroyed signage and fence and the BG goes home at the end of the night. Obviously Illinois is not going to chase the guy into Iowa so he is off scot-free. How  'bout that?

I intend on obtaining the accident report to see if there is any insurance I can file a claim on.

survey marker:

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
If you said Delta 88, you were right. Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham. Just like my old silver one. Found it at the local wrecker.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I win!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top