Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 6:21:52 PM EDT
My buddy stopped by and showed me his used Seecamp in .380. He paid $750, it's seems like its in really good shape but $750 used!!!. Whats the deal folks...enlighten me. Why so much???

ETA...it came with a couple extra mags, 4 boxes of ammo and a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
artifically IMO lowered supply  so therefore  high $$$
i have never been much impressed with them
My boss has one
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#3]
think thats bad, a CT shop sells the .32 seecamp for $1.3K when in reality if they picked it up straight from the manufacturer a few miles away they could get the same thing with custom serial numbers for less than 1/3rd the price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
He could have bought 3 Kel-Tecs for the same price and twice the reliability.

Seacamps are jam-o-matics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a Seecamp .32 that I kept as a pocket gun, but I sold it a few years ago to make room for a NAA Guardian in .380.  I put at least 400 rounds or so through it and never once had it jam.  I always thought that it would be interesting to put it in a Ransom Machine Rest and test it, but never did.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually you can pick one up these days for $350. Thats the .32 model.  The .380s are double that price or more.  But you can find them for a reasonable amount.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Seecamps are nice little guns but with the plethora of small CCW weapons in better calibers nowadays they are somewhat dated. I've handled a few at the local shop but was not impressed enough to consider buying one. At least not for the fare they ask for them. I also do not like that they only recommend a very limited selection of ammo to use in them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Jan Libourel spent the entire 1980-2005 period going on and on about how incredibly awesome these pistols are as back ups if you use silvertips.....crazy
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jan Libourel spent the entire 1980-2005 period going on and on about how incredibly awesome these pistols are as back ups if you use silvertips.....crazy

I believe silvertips were the only round that you were supposed to put thru them. And Jan sure did tout them forever.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve found Seecamps to be quite reliable.

Part of that, I suspect, is that they are specifically designed for one particular load.

OTOH, they have a bizarre (if not downright stupid) design where you can’t fully retract the slide if a magazine isn’t at least partially seated.

And I see no reason why they shouldn’t have sights of some sort!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I myself would rather have a real Semmerling LM-4.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn I just found out that had I kept the one I had and sold for $150 a few years back would have got enough to start another EBR.
One thing I had to say for it was that it fit the top of the full leg cast that I had when I busted up my leg.
Went in one day for a cast change and forgot I had it since it fit so nice there the nurse freaked out. The Doc was cool about it, I was a LEO at the time and regs. said that I had to be armed 24/7. He unloadd it (he knew his way around a firearm) put it into a rubber glove, and made a holster for it in the new cast so it didn't set against my skin. I thought that was pretty cool. Got a lot of comment around the station.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC, the manufacturer specified that Winchester Silvertips were the ONLY ammo you were supposed to feed a Seecamp.

...makes about as much sense as saying "No Handloads"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The one (.25) I gave my X always went bang. Nice little gun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Gun of choice for Howard Stern...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He could have bought 3 Kel-Tecs for the same price and twice the reliability.

Seacamps are jam-o-matics.

Mine isn't.  Maybe I'm just lucky that way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Seecamp now recommends other hollow point ammo in lieu of the silvertip.  specifically speer Gold dot and hydra-shoks.  

The reason for their recommendation is that a hollow point bullet is shorter than a hard ball.  Since a 32 acp shell is a semi rimless there is a real posibility for rimlock.  In order for the shorter hollow point ammo be used in the gun, they had to reduce the dimension of the magazines so that the bottom cartridges could not move forward in the mag and cause rimlock.  In the early years the Winchester silvertip was the only round available that worked dimensionally.

A person can remove the spacer in the mag and use a hardball bullet but a hollow point can not be used reliably until the spacer is replaced.

My seecamp .32 is 100 percent reliable.

Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top