Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 5:18:03 PM EDT
My zip code.
Results for store locations:
No locations were found within 250.00mi. Please expand your search or modify your search criteria.

It is NOT!  A national chain.  NOT everyone has one around the corner.  NOT everyone even knows what the heck you are talking about.  It took several times of seeing it mentioned before I asked, and was told what Academy is.

So please stop telling me and others that I should just go to Academy to get my ammo.

I'm not griping about people posting about great sales there.  I'm sure that that is helpful to many people.  But when someone talks about a gun, or ammo, or some other thing, and you quote them and tell them they are a moron because they could have paid $10 less at Academy, please take a second to pull your head out of your ass and realize that not everyone has this wonderful mecca of great fricking wonderfulness!!!!!!!!

Thank You
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You fell for the old "buy your ammo from Academy" trick?  Dumbass!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No Academy?

have you considered moving?

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one about 8 miles from me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Academy is great.  I have one in between my house and office.  It's about a 3 mile run from either place. Cities/States that don't have Academy should be BANNED!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
They were gonna put one about 20 miles from the house - and now - not so much

I'm assuming it has something to do with the hurricane but still I need ammo :)

Barry
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#6]
i have one .3 miles close to me, do you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I got two within 25miles of me, I buy 9mm ammo for $3.86/box, and I don't even own one yet, figure when I get enough of it laying around it'll be an incentive for me to buy a lorcin or jennings.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5 near me with in 20miles
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I just looked at their website.  UMC 9mm 250 round box= 27.67

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Apparently this "Academy" does not exist in the Midwest.  Bastards.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why yes, I sure do!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does REI?

Yes as a matter of fact.  About 15 minutes away from me is one, in Oak Brook, IL.  

Illinois has:
REI
Dick's House of Nut Cakes(Dick's Sporting Goods)
Gander Mountain
Bass Pro.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Academy rocks

the old dude behind the counter actually likes firearms and people with manners

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Bass Pro about 5 mins down the street from my house. I hardly ever go there..I should check to see if we have an Academy
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#17]
def a regional chain...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#18]
There is one about 20 miles from me,maybe a little further. Really great selection in boots/shoes as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#19]
One thing I have to say about Academy is that any sporting goods or ammo I will buy from them than from Walmart. After the hurricane Academy was selling guns and ammo. The Walmart by my house still will not sell guns. The sad part is that Walmart is the only game in town. I have to travel 30 plus miles to go to Academy but for now on I will.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Academy rocks

Wow.  Really?

Every Academy has an old dude behind the counter who actually likes firearms and people with manners?

That is incredible!  It is a wonder that they have not had some sort of discrimination thing against them because they refused to hire a young woman with contempt for firearms and like people who spit on the floor.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey I've never seen a Dick's, no comments smart asses, or a Sportsmans Warehouse, so quit your crying.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
i was just suprised to find a chain store that actually handled the business of firearms well
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It is NOT!  A national chain.  NOT everyone has one around the corner.  NOT everyone even knows what the heck you are talking about.  It took several times of seeing it mentioned before I asked, and was told what Academy is.

So please stop telling me and others that I should just go to Academy to get my ammo.

I'm not griping about people posting about great sales there.  I'm sure that that is helpful to many people.  But when someone talks about a gun, or ammo, or some other thing, and you quote them and tell them they are a moron because they could have paid $10 less at Academy, please take a second to pull your head out of your ass and realize that not everyone has this wonderful mecca of great fricking wonderfulness!!!!!!!!

You must be angry at "Arsenal" ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does REI?

There's one at the Golf Mill shopping center in Niles as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You must be angry at "Arsenal" ?

No.

www.academy.com/

And I'm not really mad at them...well maybe for not putting one near me..yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
def a regional chain...

It is just a matter of time....  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Academy rocks

+1

I buy 2-3 cases at a time and get no-smart assed comments. Tell him I run it in a SMG and he asks what do you have, instead of usual - "those are illegal" or "what do you need that for". Guy is actually very pleasant to buy from.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
CCI Blazer 9 MM Ammunition- $3.86  Every Day (50 round box)

Academy Rules!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Now you know how some of us feel when you mention the great deal you saw at Gander Mtn...........
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#31]
103.48  miles  to closest one
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Now you know how some of us feel when you mention the great deal you saw at Gander Mtn...........

I don't have Gander Mountian either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have Gander Mountian either.

There's one no more than 30 miles from me in Fredericksburg, VA
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one located right next to a Borders, Best Buy, and Target only five minutes from my house. w00t.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I went there tonight.

FWIW, if you went to Academy tomorrow, and walked around, you might chill out a bit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I went there tonight.

FWIW, if you went to Academy tomorrow, and walked around, you might chill out a bit.

The plane ticket to the nearest one would probably negate my savings.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Academy, the only chain that trust people and lets the customers pick up the ammo and not have to ask for it behind a counter (except for pistol).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Academy rocks

+1

I buy 2-3 cases at a time and get no-smart assed comments. Tell him I run it in a SMG and he asks what do you have, instead of usual - "those are illegal" or "what do you need that for". Guy is actually very pleasant to buy from.

Yep.  I was not used to a store stocking so MUCH ammo either.  First time I went in there years ago.... I wanted to pick 3k of 9mm.  I asked the old guy behind the counter if it was $3.86 a box, he said "yep.... how many you want?"  

Feeling cocky, I said "Oh, I will take everything you got, I shoot a lot." and smiled.  He grinned, and said "hope you brought a big truck"

He pointed under the counter where there were 10 cases of 9mm sitting there, and with my jaw open, he said.... "you want me to go get the rest from the back too?"

I sheepishly told him I would take 3 cases.... thanks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:51:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Academy, the only chain that trust people and lets the customers pick up the ammo and not have to ask for it behind a counter (except for pistol).

And they sell Bushmaster AR15's too!  They always have three in stock at mine.  A M4-A2, a camo flat-top, and a Carbon 15.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Move out of Virginia!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does REI?

There's one at the Golf Mill shopping center in Niles as well.

Thanks Tango.  Oak Brook is still the closest one to me.

Gander Mtn is in Elgin, Joliet, Geneva, and Rockford.

Bass Pro is in Gurnee...but they're supposed to put one in Bolingbrook according to their site.

Dick's I haven't seen anywhere except Orland Park and Schaumburg...there could be more, since wherever a Galyans was, a Dick's is...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Academy rocks

+1

Yep.  I was not used to a store stocking so MUCH ammo either.  First time I went in there years ago.... I wanted to pick 3k of 9mm.  I asked the old guy behind the counter if it was $3.86 a box, he said "yep.... how many you want?"  

Feeling cocky, I said "Oh, I will take everything you got, I shoot a lot." and smiled.  He grinned, and said "hope you brought a big truck"

He pointed under the counter where there were 10 cases of 9mm sitting there, and with my jaw open, he said.... "you want me to go get the rest from the back too?"

Figures that I'd be the only one to get a comment at Academy.

I went there a couple of months ago (during the last tax free weekend as a matter of fact) to pick up a 250 pack of UMC .45 ACP. The guy behind the counter says "that's alot of bullets" I told him I did alot of shooting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Want to get real mad?

My step daughter works for Academy and I'm getting a rather super discount on white-box 3131.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Move out of Virginia!

Or just pressure Academy to put a store in VA.

Granted, VA ain't TX, but it's a free state.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
No such thing in VA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Want to get real mad?

My step daughter works for Academy and I'm getting a rather super discount on white-box 3131.

that's sweet
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#47]
I drove by 2 today in the span of about 40 mins.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Academy rocks

+1

Last year the guy at Spring Creek told me that store alone, sold over 400,000 rounds of CCI/Blazer/9mm in 2004. I was responsible for about 2.5% of it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

i do
btw-none of the girls at the registers have ever made any comments about the amount of ammo i buy....they recognize me and know me by name
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top