Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 1:24:19 PM EDT

I just saw a movie called "the Manhattan Project" It stars Christopher Collet and John Lithgow. This is probably the most wildly innacurate movie I've ever seen.

It's about a boy who steals plutonium from his mother's boyfriend(John Lithgow) who happens to be a Nuclear Weapons scientist. He ends up constructing a bomb that supposedly would acheive 50 megatons of power.

First off, he steals the plutonium from the main containment chamber and places it in his duffel bag. The place was only gaurded by one lackey security gaurd. This movie takes place during the cold war. The plutonium is also in nothing but a fucking nalgene bottle. Then, somehow he obtains several pounds of C4 and places the plutonium in the steel vessel with nothing more than rubber kitchen gloves while it's in a baby incubator...

The government eventually finds out about it and the military lets the 16 year old kid escape. C'mon if this happened during the cold war, the entire city would have been crawling with special ops. He then decides to blackmail the government into giving away the secret of a classified nuclear facility by threatening to detonate the bomb.  He walks into the facility with hundreds of times what is required to detonate the suitase bomb that he built. The entire time, the sniper teams are standing up(looks like with anschutz target rifles) on the ground..... Several oppurtunities arise to take the mother fucker out, but they don't kill the kid while the bomb's disarmed.  They even let him arm it while they stand around with rifles pointed at him. Throughout the movie, he prances around a major city as he treats the fucking thing like a toy car. In the end, they actually let him go.

Has anyone ever seen this movie? I think it's a travesty to modern physics, the government, and even snipers. They make the whole thing up to be like a little kids temper tantrum and treat him likewise.

My grandmother actually worked with Oppenheimer. She used to tell me stories about how they handled radioactive material back in the day. I'm sure if both she and Oppenheimer had seen this movie, they would be rolling in their graves....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
saw the end years ago. Never really thought much about it. But the idiocy makes sense for hollywood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That was a Back in the 80s the Military is a bunch of souless machines movie.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, yeah, I saw that a few months ago.

I was bored, nothing else was on. It sucked a big one.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Silly goose, its an indoctrination movie for how to treat terror suspects. Sheesh, some people.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember it <yawn>.

Hope the kid doesn't plan on having (normal) kids someday...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
We'll thank you to leave the worst parts of the 80's alone.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You probably wouldn't like "War Games" either then.

Movies are meant for entertainment purposes only, not for their accuracy, authenticity, attention to detail or realism.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Now watch Wargames.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahhh I loved that movie when I was a kid.  Mostly because I was big into science and nuke stuff (did report after report about nuclear power, weapons, waste disposal, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world) and wanted to be that kid, hah.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
     I just saw a movie called "the Manhattan Project" It stars Christopher Collet and John Lithgow. This is probably the most wildly innacurate movie I've ever seen.

It's about a boy who steals plutonium from his mother's boyfriend(John Lithgow) who happens to be a Nuclear Weapons scientist. He ends up constructing a bomb that supposedly would acheive 50 megatons of power.

More like 50 kilotons, a Hiroshima or two because it was some "super-plutonium".  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought the movie was entertaining but not believable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You probably wouldn't like "War Games" either then.

Movies are meant for entertainment purposes only, not for their accuracy, authenticity, attention to detail or realism.

Oh wow, I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. I think i'll have to track it down.

Tromatic: Ha, 50 megatons would be a huge explosion. My bad.. I can't remember, wasn't hiroshima around 15 kilotons? I guess i'll have to search the web..
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Nope, the Wright Patterson Airforce Base museum website says that Little Boy was around 20 kilotons
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nope, the Wright Patterson Airforce Base museum website says that Little Boy was around 20 kilotons

The Air Force museum website is wrong.  Trust me!!!!

The Little boy was approx. 12 KT to 15 KT depending on sources

The Fat Man was approx. 20 KT to 21KT depending on sources

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#16]
How about a nice game of  "Global ThermoNuclear War"??

MIRV'd Missile Launch ^ 6,000.

Your move.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top