Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 12:16:11 PM EDT
Based on advice that I saw in another thread, I am using a limited Windows account to browse the web instead of the administrative account.

The problem is with my security software packages. I run Panda anti-virus and firewall and ewido anti-malware. Ever since I created the limited account, when I start-up the computer and log into either Windows account, I get a message from Windows Security Center that my anti-virus software is turned off. But, the icon for Panda is in the system tray and it indicates that the virus protection is active.

Additionally, my ewido will only load (or at least only appears in the system tray) on whichever Windows account that I log into first from a reboot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the windows warning for the built in firewall that comes with SP2?

I'm not familiar with the other programs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

No, it is alterting me that my virus protection is disabled.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
i resell panda antivirus.   this is a common problem.    the windows protection service loads before the panda loads.    So the   WPS doesn't see that panda is uptodate, therefore giving the message that its out of date.  

you can add more ram to the system( i would suggest having at least 512 with panda being installed) , so it will boot up faster, or when the red shield pops up tell it not to monitor antivirus, you will monitor it self.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would make sense.

Limited user accounts are not for system maintence, installing/removing programs, modifiying system configuration, etc.

Altering virus scan settings would be system maintence.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i resell panda antivirus.   this is a common problem.    the windows protection service loads before the panda loads.    So the   WPS doesn't see that panda is uptodate, therefore giving the message that its out of date.  

you can add more ram to the system( i would suggest having at least 512 with panda being installed) , so it will boot up faster, or when the red shield pops up tell it not to monitor antivirus, you will monitor it self.  

Won't Windows XP also give you the same warning if you have not updated the detection list lately?

Shok
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Not framilar with your Firewall program...just a recommendation to go to www.grc.com and test you firewall to ensure all the ports are either closed or made invisable.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]

You can shutoff the windows notification since they don't recognize Panda.

Start ---> Control Panel ---> Security Center       Then on the left bar click "change the way security center ntifies me and uncheck all that stuff.

BTW, if you use spybot or adaware, you may have to do this again if it cleans out cookies, because it'll wipeout the settings in the registry that tell windows to shut the hell up about notifying you constantly.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Some programs can only run under an Administrator account.  Two that I use that are like this are Nero Burning ROM and Norton Anti-Virus.  Panda AV may be the same way.

To run one of these on a Limited account you right-click on the icon and select "Run as.."  In the dialog box select the Admin account and give the password.  But don't worry, only that program will have Admin permissions, you'll still be protected by the Limited account against spyware and trojans.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
All my systems run under Admin accounts. Firefox and smart surfing habits and I never had a virus. I do not even remember the last time I had a pop up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top