Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 10:45:33 AM EDT
Security Guards Involved In Violent Incidents At Two Area Malls
http://www.wral.com/news/5838164/detail.html

POSTED: 9:35 am EST January 4, 2006
UPDATED: 12:09 pm EST January 4, 2006

WILSON, N.C. -- Security guards at two area malls were involved in violent altercations Tuesday while trying to thwart suspected shoplifters.

A security guard was cut while trying to stop a man from shoplifting in Wilson and an off-duty deputy working as a security guard shot out the car tire of a man fleeing in Fayetteville.

The incidents happened Tuesday evening at Belk's in Wilson and J.C. Penny's in Fayetteville.

In Wilson, police said that on Tuesday around 6 p.m. a man was seen taking items inside the Belk's store at Parkwood Mall.

A security guard met the man outside the building and tried to stop him. A fight ensued, and the man and security guards ended up back inside the store, police said.

The security guards were able to get one handcuff on the man during the struggle. During the fight, the man pulled a knife and cut the victim on the left upper arm and across the left hand, police said.

Police said the man threatened the other security guard with a knife and later fled the store with the handcuffs belonging to the security guards.

Jeffrey Reason of Elm City, who is also a reserve police officer for the town of Scotland Neck, was taken to the Wilson Medical Center where he received treatment.

Benjamin John Eason, 30, was arrested Wednesday morning in Raleigh and charged with assault with a deadly weapon, inflicting serious injury, assault with a deadly weapon and misdemeanor larceny.

In Fayetteville, security guards pursued a man suspected of shoplifting from J.C. Penny at Cross Creek Mall, Cumberland County Sheriff's officials said. An off-duty Cumberland County deputy, who was armed and was working as a mall security guard, became involved in the incident, deputies said.

At one point, the suspect got into a car and drove near an area where mall shoppers walk.

The off-duty officer, who happens to be a sharpshooter with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department, fired his weapon at the suspect's car, hitting one of the tires, deputies said.

The suspect still managed to escape, although it is not clear how. No one was injured in the Fayetteville incident.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Egad.

* rethinking whether a trip to the mall is a good idea or not *
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Egad.

* rethinking whether a trip to the mall is a good idea or not *

Just make sure you rock out with your Glock out while cruising Pacific Sunwear or the Gap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anyone else snicker every time thay walk by a mall cop and see them armed with pepper spray and maybe a baton, while you have a 45 under your shirt?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL!

I hope no aviator shades or flashlights were harmed during these heroic events.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone else snicker every time thay walk by a mall cop and see them armed with pepper spray and maybe a baton, while you have a 45 under your shirt?

No, of course not, never.

However, do you think they have a company policy restricting them from carrying their own weapon under their shirt if they have a CCW? I'd say more than likely they do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
However, do you think they have a company policy restricting them from carrying their own weapon under their shirt if they have a CCW? I'd say more than likely they do.

I don't think most mall security ninjas can physically carry a gun concealed, as most have their shirts tucked into their tighty whities.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Crap like this is why I wont work offduty at a mall.  I do security work for a small business, but very few people try to steal and I've yet to have someone try to physically resist when I either kicked them out of the business or when I grabbed them for stealing.

I do get a kick when they refer to me as a security guard.  They change their tune when I make the comment that I can call several hundred more guys dressed just like me to the scene.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
"Stop, or i'll throw my keys at you!"

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I do get a kick when they refer to me as a security guard.  They change their tune when I make the comment that I can call several hundred more guys dressed just like me to the scene.  

That's a lot of mall ninjas...that'd have to be one very determined shoplifter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
At one point, the suspect got into a car and drove near an area where mall shoppers walk.

The off-duty officer, who happens to be a sharpshooter with the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department, fired his weapon at the suspect's car, hitting one of the tires, deputies said.

So this "sharpshooter" uses the pedestrians as his excuse to use deadly force, but then shoots in the direction of the people he was shooting to defend.  

WTF, this deputy should be fired and brought up on reckless endangerment charges.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#11]
My brother lived in Fayetteville when he served. It is a fairly low kept town to say the least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top