Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:55:29 AM EDT
And in my town, no less.  w00t!

St Pete Times

LARGO - A veteran police sergeant was fired Tuesday for letting a subordinate officer spray whipped cream on her neck and chest and lick it off at a birthday party, police officials said.

Sgt. Joan Short, 42, a 23-year veteran, jeopardized public confidence in the department during an Oct. 21 gathering at the Green Iguana bar in St. Petersburg, an internal investigation found.

The party was to mark the 30th birthday of Officer Melinda DeKyle, who received a 10-day suspension for her part in the incident.

Twice during the party, Short allowed DeKyle to lick the cream from just below her collarbone while two other Largo officers watched, investigators found. Also, at one point, the sergeant was photographed with another woman grabbing her breasts.

Short might have avoided being fired if not for her disciplinary record, said Deputy Chief John Carroll. Since 2004, she has been cited three times for disrespectful behavior, with one of the incidents resulting in a five-day suspension in December.

"The real shame is that she's an extremely talented officer," Carroll said.

Short and DeKyle could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

The internal probe began in early December after rumors about the incident reached Carroll, he said.

Short told investigators she arrived at the bar with two other Largo officers about 10 p.m. She said she had three beers, several glasses of water and a shot of Jagermeister.

DeKyle then sprayed the chocolate-flavored whipped cream, which she had received in a gift basket, investigators said.

"I didn't know what to do when it was done to me," Short told police officials. "It was no big deal at the time. . . . It was her just being silly and intoxicated and I didn't want to make a scene."

Short's supervisors recommended to Chief Lester Aradi that she receive a five-day suspension and lose her rank as sergeant.

But Aradi decided on the more severe punishment.

"With all the sensitivity to supervisor-subordinate relations and the conduct of employees, the chief has been very clear about what his expectations are," Carroll said. "He felt that this situation warranted termination."

After the party, Short left the Green Iguana at 2 a.m. with boyfriend Robert Wojociechowski, a Pinellas County sheriff's deputy, she told investigators. Largo police Officer Albin Soto ended up pulling their car over on suspicion that Wojociechowski was driving under the influence.

Soto let them go, with Short replacing Wojociechowski at the wheel, detectives said. Carroll said he was satisfied that Soto was sufficiently diligent in his investigation.

"This guy makes those decisions every night on the street," he said.

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said they were notified Tuesday of the alleged incident involving Wojociechowski and were reviewing it.

In this story, DeKyle's girlfriend gets in on the act...

Tampa Tribune

Officer Fired After Whipped-Cream Celebration
1/4/06 1:36:40 AM

LARGO - A police sergeant was fired Tuesday after she allowed a female police officer to lick whipped cream off her chest while they celebrated the officer’s birthday at a bar, according to internal affairs documents.

Joan Short, 42, who had been with the department for 23 years, was at Melinda DeKyle’s party at the Green Iguana on Bay Pines Boulevard on Oct. 21, the documents say. DeKyle, 30, was suspended for 10 days.

Both officers engaged in off-duty conduct that, among other things, “adversely affects the morale” of the police department, documents say. Other law enforcement officers were at the party, including Short’s boyfriend.

DeKyle received some chocolate whipped cream as a gift. While she and others were seated at a table, DeKyle sprayed it on Short’s chest and licked it off, the documents say. Later, DeKyle and DeKyle’s girlfriend both licked some off Short’s chest, the documents say.

Short’s discipline was more serious because she was a supervisor with a disciplinary history, including at least three instances where she yelled at subordinate officers or dispatchers, documents show.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe they should have had their party at a private venue.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
No comment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I was just at a party that was 90% Largo cops at a private residence.  It was extremely tame.  

ETA- The Green Iguana OTOH is a major party bar.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]
That was hot.  To bad there isn't any vid of this to post on the net.

PS:
Are they hot?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been to the Green Iguana, have the shirt.

That's a bullshit firing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe they should have had their party at a private venue.  

I think these Women Should get together with the Minnesota Vikings and have a Party!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Heh, the department is doing a probe.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yup. Department politics.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

PS:
Are they hot?

I called a friend of mine to find out...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:04:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like an episode of RENO 911, right down to the cops driving around under the influence of alcohol and getting a free pass when pulled over. How many people get the option of being allowed to just not drive anymore or switch drivers like stated in the article ?  

Largo police Officer Albin Soto ended up pulling their car over on suspicion that Wojociechowski was driving under the influence. Soto let them go, with Short replacing Wojociechowski at the wheel, detectives said. Carroll said he was satisfied that Soto was sufficiently diligent in his investigation.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#12]
If they were off duty and out of uniform, I don't see how it has any bearing on their job. If I go out and bang a hooker over the weekend, does that mean my job at the accounting firm is going to get rid of me?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

PS:
Are they hot?

I've NEVER, EVER seen a hot lesbian cop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PS:
Are they hot?

There's always a first time.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PS:
Are they hot?

There's always a first time.

Yes, but what are the odds of them BOTH being hot? VERRRRRY small...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#16]

I'll bet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
And in my town, no less.  w00t!

St Pete Times

<snip>

Short might have avoided being fired if not for her disciplinary record, said Deputy Chief John Carroll. Since 2004, she has been cited three times for disrespectful behavior, with one of the incidents resulting in a five-day suspension in December.

<snip>

Amazing how often those things coincide, could it be that the superiors demonstrated very little to respect, like playing office politics too much?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh please this was is completely justified.

Letting a subordinate lick whipped cream off your chest is not acceptable… PERIOD.

ETA: Substitute a male officer having a subordinate female do a similar thing then imagine that reaction. Unacceptable either way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Letting a subordinate lick whipped cream off your chest is not acceptable… PERIOD

It is if I order her to do it.  And she better have the maid outfit on too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
It sounds like she gave them the excuse they were looking for
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Letting a subordinate lick whipped cream off your chest is not acceptable… PERIOD

It is if I order her to do it.  And she better have the maid outfit on too.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Lemme get this straight:

SHE has 3 write ups over 23 years, finalized by a few beers and being silly with whipped cream, off duty, among friends.  She is fired.

HE, being the boyfriend, is also a cop.  He drives drunk, and is allowed to be a passenger in anything other than the back of a squad car, and can return to work.

What kind of fucked of police policies is that?  OK for a cop to drive drunk, but whipped cream in a public place off duty is grounds for dismissal with 3 write ups over 23 frigging years

I, as a citizen, not feel much safer that cops can drive drunk, as long as they do not cut loose and enjoy themselves

BTW:  This is not directed at anyone here.  Every cop I have spoken with here on this board abhors drunks and driving drunk, and would have locked his ass up and had HIM fired.  I respect the officers here I have spoken with, but that town seems to be like an accident waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sounds like an episode of RENO 911, right down to the cops driving around under the influence of alcohol and getting a free pass when pulled over. How many people get the option of being allowed to just not drive anymore or switch drivers like stated in the article ?  

Largo police Officer Albin Soto ended up pulling their car over on suspicion that Wojociechowski was driving under the influence. Soto let them go, with Short replacing Wojociechowski at the wheel, detectives said. Carroll said he was satisfied that Soto was sufficiently diligent in his investigation.

"Professional courtesy"

this needs linked to another thread...

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Fired? That's crap. She should've been promoted!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sure, it is.

Yeah.

Supervisors and subordinates just 'hanging out' together is no big deal, at all.

How could public confidence be shaken when they see how well these folks all get along together?

Eric The(Yeah,Yeah)Hun
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Professional courtesy"

If he was DUI he should have been arrested. I have stopped people who have been drinking but not DUI (in my opinion) and the driver/passenger swap spots.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If they were off duty and out of uniform, I don't see how it has any bearing on their job. If I go out and bang a hooker over the weekend, does that mean my job at the accounting firm is going to get rid of me?

If it becomes public knowledge, I'd recommend that you start brushing up the old resume....

Accounting firms are like that. As are law firms, and other folks who worry about public perception of their professionalism.

Eric The(WatchYourAssInOtherWords)Hun
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Awesome!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#29]
That female sergeant is an IDIOT.  She made her bed, now she can lay in it.

Period.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Professional courtesy"

If he was DUI he should have been arrested. I have stopped people who have been drinking but not DUI (in my opinion) and the driver/passenger swap spots.

But she admitted earlier:

Short told investigators she arrived at the bar with two other Largo officers about 10 p.m. She said she had three beers, several glasses of water and a shot of Jagermeister.

Unless she was a fatso, she was over the (0.08) limit (4 drinks in 4 hours)

BAC Calculator

3 beers @ 12% + 1 Jagermeister @ 70 proof - (ETA: over 4 hours from 10PM to the 2AM stop)

Weights

assuming 120 pounds, BAC = 0.1063
assuming 130 pounds, BAC = 0.0929
assuming 140 pounds, BAC = 0.0814

This is the sort of thing that drives folks nuts (seeing preferential treatment due to "professional courtesy". Enforce the laws equally, or not at all.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Professional courtesy"

BAC Calculator

3 beers @ 12% + 1 Jagermeister @ 70 proof - (ETA: over 4 hours from 10PM to the 2AM stop)

Weights

This is the sort of thing that drives folks nuts (seeing preferential treatment due to "professional courtesy". Enforce the laws equally, or not at all.

Fatso?  Maybe, probably.  But then again, she could be 5'8"+  140-160 lbs on someone that tall doesn't a fatso make.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Allowing the person to go cant be chalked up to just "professional courtesy".  I, along with practically every officer I've worked with, has stopped someone that was intoxicated and not taken them to jail for DWI.  Many situations come into play.  The people chalking it up solely to "professional courtesy" are just hyping themselves up for the typical turn this thread will soon be taking (like every other thread about law enforcement on here)
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BAC Calculator

Weights

Fatso?  Maybe, probably.  But then again, she could be 5'8"+  140-160 lbs on someone that tall doesn't a fatso make.

It also presumes she was being truthful with how much she drank.

Ask any officer how much the standard DUI stop suspect claims to have drunk (I'll take "2 or 3 beers" for $200 Alex) - then amazingly blow a 0.20. Some LE on this very board have argued that impairment begins even lower than the official 0.08, I won't name names, or mention they are from Austin. So if this is really about "the safety of the public", should she really have been put behind the wheel, and if the original driver was deemed too blotto, wouldn't he have also been a hazard even as a passenger (he might have ralphed all over the inside of the windshield, obscuring vision, and potentially causing the vehicle to careen into a busload of orphans and nuns.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Allowing the person to go cant be chalked up to just "professional courtesy".  I, along with practically every officer I've worked with, has stopped someone that was intoxicated and not taken them to jail for DWI.  Many situations come into play.  The people chalking it up solely to "professional courtesy" are just hyping themselves up for the typical turn this thread will soon be taking (like every other thread about law enforcement on here)

I'm sorry, if you are going to have hard physical limits for intoxication, then enforce them equally. Period.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Allowing the person to go cant be chalked up to just "professional courtesy".  I, along with practically every officer I've worked with, has stopped someone that was intoxicated and not taken them to jail for DWI.  

May God bless you sir.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BAC Calculator

Weights

It also presumes she was being truthful with how much she drank.

Ask any officer how much the standard DUI stop suspect claims to have drunk (I'll take "2 or 3 beers" for $200 Alex) - then amazingly blow a 0.20. Some LE on this very board have argued that impairment begins even lower than the official 0.08, I won't name names, or mention they are from Austin. So if this is really about "the safety of the public", should she really have been put behind the wheel, and if the original driver was deemed too blotto, wouldn't he have also been a hazard even as a passenger (he might have ralphed all over the inside of the windshield, obscuring vision, and potentially causing the vehicle to careen into a busload of orphans and nuns.

Not arguing with ya, just sayin....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm sorry, if you are going to have hard physical limits for intoxication, then enforce them equally. Period.

- You are ignoring the fact that different circumstances come into play. If I stop a guy and he blows .08 on the street, there is a damn good chance he isnt going to go (unless there is something else in play).  I'm not going to take 3 hours out of my night to process the guy that is going to blow under the limit when he gets to Intake and then have the charge dismissed the minute it hits the courts, if it even gets past the Magistrate. This is just one example of why I might not take a guy in for DWI.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- You are ignoring the fact that different circumstances come into play. If I stop a guy and he blows .08 on the street, there is a damn good chance he isnt going to go (unless there is something else in play).  I'm not going to take 3 hours out of my night to process the guy that is going to blow under the limit when he gets to Intake and then have the charge dismissed the minute it hits the courts, if it even gets past the Magistrate. This is just one example of why I might not take a guy in for DWI.

Quit. Merrell would rather bash cops.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You are ignoring the fact that different circumstances come into play. If I stop a guy and he blows .08 on the street, there is a damn good chance he isnt going to go (unless there is something else in play).  I'm not going to take 3 hours out of my night to process the guy that is going to blow under the limit when he gets to Intake and then have the charge dismissed the minute it hits the courts, if it even gets past the Magistrate. This is just one example of why I might not take a guy in for DWI.

Ok, that is a fair explanation, but why did he pull them over in the first place?  Driving erratically? Then you find two officers in the car?  That doesn't piss you off?, as an officer?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Twice during the party, Short allowed DeKyle to lick the cream from just below her collarbone while two other Largo officers watched, investigators found. Also, at one point, the sergeant was photographed with another woman grabbing her breasts.

Yeah, well ..... I want to know where those pictures are
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't know what either of thes officers blew that night, we can only presume that, unless licking whipped cream off of each other is SOP in the LE community, that the Sgt. was a little tipsy, and her boyfriend was tipsy enough to get pulled over for suspicion of DUI, and they probably got a wink and a nod from Soto and were sent along the way. Were they drunk enough to be a hazard? According to the law (0.08), probably, according to your seasoned judgment (and likely that of the officer who stopped them, and maybe the judgment of the normal guy on the street, probably not. That's the problem with arbitrary laws designed to curry favor with soccer moms. Back in the 50's (I think, might have been late 40's) they established DUI at 0.15 and it has been sliding downward ever since (and will not stop until it is a European-like 0.02) - great source of revenue, but with limited real effects on safety. If the courtesy that you demonstrate was applied by all officers, don't believe we would be having this discussion. Some are more "gung-ho" than others.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Holy shit, cops are people?  Stop the presses.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit. Merrell would rather bash cops.

Only ones with kinky neighbors...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#45]
interesting story.  Let me know if more news are made from it.  I'm wishy washy on my reaction.  I don't think her behavior was appropriate - however if she was off duty, out of uniform and there's no company policy about dating subordenents and she's been a good cop for 23 years [I'm sorry about 4 complains in 23 years is pretty good for a woman considering she PMSes 12 times a year times 23 ]

Patty
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Irresponsible, yeah sure. Worth firing her over for celebrating a friend's birthday with some whipped cream, not at all. Last I knew, that wasn't illegal. So, if she was abiding by the law while off duty, where does the department get off firing her?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Holy shit, cops are people?  Stop the presses.

I think the firing was BS. I'm just arguing about the stop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Irresponsible, yeah sure. Worth firing her over for celebrating a friend's birthday with some whipped cream, not at all. Last I knew, that wasn't illegal. So, if she was abiding by the law while off duty, where does the department get off firing her?

Most departments have some sort of "conduct that brings discredit onto the dept." policy.  It's a handy political tool that get's abused too often in many places.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, it is.

Yeah.

Supervisors and subordinates just 'hanging out' together is no big deal, at all.

How could public confidence be shaken when they see how well these folks all get along together?

Eric The(Yeah,Yeah)Hun

Maybe the story isn't the greatest example, but hanging out with a sgt is pefectly fine and actually builds more unity with the "crew". My old dept was waaaay less catty than mine now. There was no BS goin on. 1st tues of every month we'd all go out & tip some back with sarge.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top