Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 6:44:05 AM EDT
Title says it all I think.  What would you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
[#1]
WD or seagate

make sure it not a refurb, and it has a warranty
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy a hard drive in the size that you want and then get an enclosure for it.  You will save yourself about half of what you would have paid.

This + This will cost you about 160.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Damn.  That's a lot of friggin' pr0n
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.    

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buy a hard drive in the size that you want and then get an enclosure for it.  You will save yourself about half of what you would have paid.

+1

There are small format HDs that can be powered through a USB cord. There are larger ones that will require a power cord. The small ones are more expensive, with less storage. In either case, it is a matter of slapping the drive in the enclosure and screwing the lid back on, and it is much cheaper than the prepared ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought my Dad one for X-Mas at Circuit City.

It's a USB 2.0 Western Digital 7200 RPM 80GB in a nice enclosure. $99

It came with some great backup software.

They also make it in several larger sizes. I think the biggest that I saw was 250GB.

Note: Most of the really small external hard drives are made with a notebook hard drive, which is 5400 RPM (less performance) and cost more because they are smaller. If size is not a huge issue, I'd go with the larger drives at 7200 RPM.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I always go with WD drives.

I had a 800JB fail on me.  I sent it in for a replacement and they were as nice about things as you could hope for.  The (brand new) replacement they sent me is running strong as my backup drive.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#8]
If you build your own, the new Seagate Barracuda drives have a 5-yr warranty.

I just put a 300GB drive in my PC... Was $189 @ CompUSA.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#9]
If you buy a internal hard-drive and an enclosure to put together yourself--just make certain that the enclosure can handle the drive's total capacity. Some of the cheaper enclosures have size limitations (300Gb is what I have seen) and of course now--there are hard-drives available that are larger than that.

I like Seagate for hard drives, but WD now has some with 5-year warranties too. Most others are 3 years, some are only 1. Anything with a 5-year warranty should be a good choice.
~
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This + This will cost you about 160.

+1.

I had some old 40 gb hard drives sitting around unused, so i bought a couple enclosures cheap and voila, instant redundant portable storage for under $60
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top