Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:57:31 PM EDT
With the wealth of knowledge and experience here I was wonder what or who sparked your interest in guns first? Maybe you had a bad experience and sought some personnal protection or when you was little you watched a western? For me I was always interigued in the form and functions of a gun. What made it tick and why was some stunning as well as sexy. Like the controled explosion that happens in your automobile, as a kid I wanted to know why did people die when the bullet just poked a hole in you? As I got older and took up physics it was exciting learning about energy tranfers and shock waves in terms of ballistics. But at the same time as a small child I wasn't allowed toy guns or bb guns or sling shots, anything of the nature. What about you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#1]
war movies  and my old man being in the army for 30 years
kinda sparked the intrest
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Always wanted to kill someone.  Now I can.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've loved guns my entire life. I had toy guns from the time I was about 3 and I have been boderline obsessed with guns ever since. The funny thing is that I never fired a gun before I was 18 and my family was basically sheeple when it came to the topic of guns. My dad had a single shot .22 and a breakaway 12 gauge when I was a kid, and I never saw either of them.

However, I bought my first gun (a Norinco SKS) right after I turned 18 and it has been all down hill ever since then.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad introduced me to shooting on a S&W .22 semi auto when I was 8, been in love with them ever since. Now I have a couple rifles an a .22 pistol of my own, and cant wait to buy more
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
BB guns as a little kid...I think I was about 12...had a daisy pump bb gun and crossman .357 replica pellet gun....I even made a holster out of cardboard and practiced fast draws....hehe that was fun...

Aside from that from junior high to high school I read just about every Loius La'Amour book and earned a respect for guns and also the classis good vs evil from those books.  To boot, I think some of the honor from most of his characters rubbed off, or atleast, I try to imulate that as best I can....Basically it instilled a belief and now a hard and fast knowledge that if you need to defend yourself from badguys a gun is usally the best alternative.

From there I inherited a few of "grampa's old guns" and slowly increased the collection.....I love em all...old cumbersome WWII rifles, and pistols, rusty cival war era muzzle loaders, to todays modern AR's etc.

The thing I love about guns is they are not like women, you don't need a hot one to be turned on.

God, I love guns.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
As best I can remember it was the Lone Ranger when I was in formative years.  By the time that I was 5 I had a number of cap guns.  Really freaked out my mom, who was a devout pacifist.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Grew up with guns as a kid in the early 70's. As a teenager and then young adult I did not really think that much about guns... I did not have any of my own.

Then about half way through college I started to be exposed to all of the anti-gun/anti-american liberal bull shit. I then realized that there was a political context to gun ownership in the USA that needed to be debated and protected as a civil right... I refused to live in a country that did not trust me to own firearms. As soon as I could begin to afford them I began to buy.

I now am much older, with a family and home of my own which I treasure. I see fireams and firearms training as a requirement to satisfy that most primevil instinct inherent to being a man... protecting my family and home. I derive great joy from teaching my kids about the Bill of Rights and gun ownership, and, most importantly, their proper use.

I grew up thinking about firearms as simple tools or hardware... nothing more. Today I regard firearms as a political statement, symbols of our freedom and our responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned guns since I was a kid but mostly just hunting shotguns and 22LR rifles. A guy from work with an FFL showed me a gun flyer with all kinds of surplus military rifles and I was hooked. Within a couple years I owned about 80 guns, mostly military and from all over the world. Then I saw the AK in the flyer and that got me into the "assault rifle" craze.

After I ran out of room, I sold many of the old bolt guns and upgraded my collection. I miss those old guns sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top