Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:49 PM EDT
Okay, I was happy with GEICO till today.

I got on-line and made adjustment to my policy.

Dropped my wife because she passed away last month

Then dropped my ex 19 year old step-daughter because after my wife passed away she moved in with her natural father and now has insurance elsewhere.  Her car was NOT even on my policy.  She was only on the policy because she lived here.  She no longer lives here.

GEICO sends me an e-mail with condolances on the passing of my wife and tells me they have removed her from my account.

Then about ten minutes later, they send me another e-mail telling me that I can't remove my ex step-daughter from my policy until I fax them a copy of her new insurance.  

The fuckers are willing to take my word that somebody died and remove them from my policy but won't take my word that somebody has moved, is no longer my responsibility, and has other insurance.  

I called them on the phone and pointed this out to them.  We ended up getting in a shouting match and I eventually hung up on the motherfuckers.  

Besides getting new insurance, anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

They are a SLEAZY company.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The best way that I know of is to go to another insurance company.  I had problems with GEICO and switched companies back in the mid-1980s.  About 7 or 8 years ago my mom kept telling me how wonderful GEICO was until about a year ago when they cancelled her policy for non-payment...2 months after they had cashed her check.  I went to Progressive and had a claim 3 years ago and it was handled very well.  

Robert
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

Big YUP  

Why is that?  

Warren Buffet (and everybody with Berkshire Hathaway shares) just might disagree with you.  

BTW, I like 21st Century.  At least as much as you can "like" ANY insurance company.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]

I went to Progressive, thier rates were like 40% cheaper than Geico . I just dont understand why.

Years ago when I got rear-ended, the Progressive guy was at my house within couple hours. Claim was totally settled that afternoon. I was blown away.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't Progressive owned by some guy that gives millions to Libtard groups?

I've been happy with GEICO up till now.  Three claims in three years and all were handled smoothly.

Plus, the rate I was getting from GEICO was definately better than the quote I just got from Progressive.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make some stuff up on a paper and fux it to them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

Big YUP  

Why is that?  

- Geico cherry picks clean drivers, dumps the rest

- Geico supplies free (as in YOU pay for) radar and laser guns to police departments.  You get tickets, they get to raise your rates.   This provides more funds for buying radar guns.

- years ago, a mail order company put it up to a vote by it's customers whether it should keep selling radar detectors or not.    Geico got caught stuffing the ballot box.   They issued a memo to all of their employees instructing them to vote for Banning radar detector sales, even if you weren't a customer of this mail order firm
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Every state I've lived in Geico and the fucking lizard talk all this shit about how cheap their swill insurance is.  And every state I've found them CONSISTENTLY $200-300 more expensive when compoared to WaWaNesa (don't laugh), Liberty Mutual, and Progressive.

Geico and the lizzzard are pimps...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Geico also gives money to anti-gun groups like The Brady Camp.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Condolences on your loss first off.

What you didn't say was whether the step daughter was over 18.
As a minor and driving around, Geico is only trying to protect both themselves and you from the stepdaughter getting into an accident and having the lawyers anty up for a lawsuit.
I am not into the insurance business but having had kids grow up and leave the nest here, I went through the same thing.  Daughter was last to leave but with her having college and Geico giving great breaks for Deans list type grades plus the lowest rates for what we drive, a couple minutes of faxes was well worth the small trouble they ask.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#13]
TRW,

Please accept my condolences for your wife........I cannot imagine how hard that must be on someone.

Also thanks for the tip on GEICO.....I will remember not to use them in the future.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Well they have to pay for all those expensive tv commericals that the run one way or another.  I have a friend who is a personal injury lawyer and he said GEICO is one of the worst at getting them to payout anything when there is a claim.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Condolences on your loss first off.

What you didn't say was whether the step daughter was over 18.
As a minor and driving around, Geico is only trying to protect both themselves and you from the stepdaughter getting into an accident and having the lawyers anty up for a lawsuit.
I am not into the insurance business but having had kids grow up and leave the nest here, I went through the same thing.  Daughter was last to leave but with her having college and Geico giving great breaks for Deans list type grades plus the lowest rates for what we drive, a couple minutes of faxes was well worth the small trouble they ask.

Yes, my ex step-daughter is 19.  Not in school, not my responsibility, living with her birth father.  It just pisses me off that I just can't call them and tell them that she is gone.  I have to PROVE IT.

Her damn car was not even insured by GEICO

We don't get along and we never got along.  As soon as her mom passed away she was out of here like a shot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I have AAA and have only made one claim through them for hail damage and they were fine. Great rates compared to the quotes I got at progressive, state farm, and farmers insurance.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I've been happy with GEICO up till now.  Three claims in three years and all were handled smoothly.

Plus, the rate I was getting from GEICO was definately better than the quote I just got from Progressive.

Yup I was thinking that very thing just prior to reading your post...

They are good though to use to get rates of other companies.  Usually all are very comparable.

When we moved I also used an online thing and got a bunch of quotes via e-mail.  It actually, much much to my surpise worked well....those guys are paying the online service for the leads so they are vested in getting your business.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#18]
All insurance companies suck, but I use Geico since I get a BRK shareholder discount.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

Big YUP  

Why is that?  

Warren Buffet (and everybody with Berkshire Hathaway shares) just might disagree with you.  

BTW, I like 21st Century.  At least as much as you can "like" ANY insurance company.

The insurance company that is the best deal for its investors and shareholders is likely to not be the best for its policyholders...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I went to Progressive, thier rates were like 40% cheaper than Geico . I just dont understand why.

Years ago when I got rear-ended, the Progressive guy was at my house within couple hours. Claim was totally settled that afternoon. I was blown away.

Sorry for the loss of your wife

I've never been with Geico 'cause they were too expensive.

I have been with Progressive and had two claims with them, handled very well and very very quickly.  Really enjoyed their service.  Only left them for a cheaper company as they had rate hikes every year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank God I have the best damned insurance agent in the area.  Gets me the best rates and sees to it that my stuff is taken care of if I have an accident.  3 generations of my family are insured through this woman.  We joke that we will make her handle our insurance claims after she retires because she is so good.

Helpful peice of advice for anyone reading:  STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM 'THE HARTFORD'!!!  My dad's truck was insured on my grandfather's policy, and it was hit by some bimbo on her way to work at 6am while parked on the street.  It was 2 months before he got it back, and he wasn't offered a replacement car while he waited.  I had to handle all the legwork on the phone and all that shit.  I went through so much hell because "The Hartford" refused to do diddly-squat.  There is no local agent for The Hartford, because it was through AARP.  Needless to say, dad is now insured through Debbie, the afformentioned Godsend of the insurance proffession.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

He's a pothead. Got busted in Australia or NZ and bought his way out.IIRC. They suck big time. Last on my list.

He also has a big push on for all the "spy" data recorder crap in your cars.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

Big YUP  

Why is that?  

The insurance company that is the best deal for its investors and shareholders is likely to not be the best for its policyholders...

Unless you consider staying in business a good thing for policyholders!  

I do.

It's nice if they are still around if/when you ever need to file a claim.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geico has ALWAYS SUCKED

Big YUP  

Why is that?  

- Geico cherry picks clean drivers, dumps the rest

Many comapnies do this, and it makes for cheaper insurance for good drivers.  There SHOULD be better policies for better drivers, at least in a free market.

- Geico supplies free (as in YOU pay for) radar and laser guns to police departments.  You get tickets, they get to raise your rates.   This provides more funds for buying radar guns.

If they're free, why do they need to pay for more of them?

I take it you don't believe the statistics that show speeding is connected to more frequent accidents and more fatal accidents?

- years ago, a mail order company put it up to a vote by it's customers whether it should keep selling radar detectors or not.    Geico got caught stuffing the ballot box.   They issued a memo to all of their employees instructing them to vote for Banning radar detector sales, even if you weren't a customer of this mail order firm

I'd love to see proof of this last point.

Bottom line, their business is limiting costs and payouts.  They have a right to lobby in any legal way they see fit in order to do so.  Believe it or not, it's cheaper for EVERYBODY if people drive more safely and have fewer accidents.

BTW, Geico is joined by the following insurance companies in lobbying government to change legislation promoting reduced speeds, bans on radar detetors, photo speed enforcement, etc:

Member groups
Work conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the Highway Loss Data Institute is wholly supported by these automobile insurers:

21st Century Insurance
AAA Mid-Atlantic Insurance Group
Affirmative Insurance
AIG Agency Auto
AIG Direct
Alfa Insurance
Alfa Virginia Mutual Insurance Company
Allstate Insurance Group
American Family Mutual Insurance
American National Property and Casualty
Ameriprise Auto & Home
Amerisure Insurance
Amica Mutual Insurance Company
Auto Club Group
Auto Club South Insurance Company
Bituminous Insurance Companies
Bristol West Insurance
California State Automobile Association
Capital Insurance Group
Chubb Group of Insurance Companies
Concord Group Insurance Companies
Cotton States Insurance
COUNTRY Insurance & Financial Services
Erie Insurance Group
Esurance
Farm Bureau Financial Services
Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company of Idaho
Farmers Insurance Group of Companies
Farmers Mutual of Nebraska
Frankenmuth Insurance
The GEICO Group
General Casualty Insurance Companies
GMAC Insurance
Grange Insurance
Harleysville Insurance
The Hartford
High Point Insurance Group
Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance
Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance
 Liberty Mutual
Mercury Insurance Group
MetLife Auto & Home
Michigan Insurance Company
Middlesex Mutual Assurance
Montgomery Insurance
Mutual of Enumclaw
National Grange Mutual
Nationwide Insurance
Nodak Mutual Group
Norfolk & Dedham Group
North Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company
Occidental Fire & Casualty Company of North Carolina
Oklahoma Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company
OneBeacon Insurance
Oregon Mutual Insurance
Palisades Insurance
Parkway Insurance Company
Pekin Insurance
PEMCO Insurance
The Progressive Corporation
Response Insurance
Rockingham Group
Safeco Insurance
Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance Company
SECURA Insurance
Shelter Insurance
Sompo Japan Insurance Company of America
South Carolina Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company
State Auto Insurance Companies
State Farm Insurance Companies
St. Paul Travelers
Tennessee Farmers Mutual Insurance Company
Tokio Marine Nichido
USAA
Virginia Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance
West Bend Mutual Insurance Company
Zurich North America

Notice any of your favorites there?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Notice any of your favorites there?

Nope. I have Encompass.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Geico buys them with their policy holder's money.    Their policy holders then get more speeding tickets, giving Geico more revenue.   Nice, huh?

I take it you don't believe the statistics that show speeding is connected to more frequent accidents and more fatal accidents?

To my knowledge, there are NO STUDIES that show that.   Speed differential kills, not speed by itself.

You'll have to take my WORD on this one.   I've seen the proof, but this was pre-internet days, so I doubt I could find anything I could post.

Drew, the owner of the catalog, printed a copy of the memo in his catalog
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Geico is particularly notable for their hatred of radar detectors.
They will drop your policy right away if you ever admit to owning one.

They have done this many times and have been taken to court and lost several times, for the same reason.
~
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#28]
condolences on your loss.
if you can qualify, i hardily recommend usaa for all insurance needs.  they are, by far, the best one out there.  they only take military officers--comm. and non comm--and their offspring so they are able to weed out most of the poor risks before the effect the bottom line.
good luck.

earlybirdnj
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
if you can qualify, i hardily recommend usaa for all insurance needs.  they are, by far, the best one out there.  they only take military officers--comm. and non comm--and their offspring so they are able to weed out most of the poor risks before the effect the bottom line.
good luck.

earlybirdnj

+1

USAA Member since 1986.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Are you GEICO's slave now or something? Once you have a policy with them you can't cancel it? I must be missing something. What does the insurance of another adult have to do with your insurance?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
good luck.

earlybirdnj

Would love to get hooked up with USAA but they don't seem to be interested in retired SNCOs, just AD ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
 Are you GEICO's slave now or something? Once you have a policy with them you can't cancel it? I must be missing something. What does the insurance of another adult have to do with your insurance?

I can cancel it, just haven't found anybody cheaper or as cheap yet.

It just burns me that I don't have as much control of my insurance policy as I think I do
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
By the way, thanks for all your condolances.

House is awfully lonely with her gone.  I miss her very much.  She was my best friend.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Insurance sucks all around.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#35]
USAA
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geico buys them with their policy holder's money.    Their policy holders then get more speeding tickets, giving Geico more revenue.   Nice, huh?

I suspect their motivation is to save money on the back end (in reducing payouts), and not the front end (in higher premiums).  Either way, can you really blame them for doing what they can to make their company more profitable?

To my knowledge, there are NO STUDIES that show that.   Speed differential kills, not speed by itself.

The NTHSA says this about speeding:

"NHTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a
speeding-related offense or if an officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for
conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the
crash.

Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes. The
economic cost to society of speeding-related crashes is estimated by NHTSA to be
$40.4 billion per year. In 2004, speeding was a contributing factor in 30 percent of
all fatal crashes, and 13,192 lives were lost in speeding-related crashes.

Motor vehicle crashes cost society an estimated $7,300 per second. The total
economic cost of crashes was estimated at $230.6 billion in 2000. In 2000, the
cost of speeding-related crashes was estimated to be $40.4 billion — $76,865 per
minute or $1,281 per second.

Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to steer safely around curves or objects in
the roadway, extends the distance necessary to stop a vehicle, and increases the
distance a vehicle travels while the driver reacts to a dangerous situation.
"

(emphasis added)  

www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NCSA/TSF2004/809915.pdf

I guess you could say that speeding really isn't the problem, it's stopping suddenly or in all the wrong places.  

You'll have to take my WORD on this one.   I've seen the proof, but this was pre-internet days, so I doubt I could find anything I could post.

Drew, the owner of the catalog, printed a copy of the memo in his catalog

I believe you.  People sure do stupid things.  

Oh, and "pre-internet days"?

What's that?  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
good luck.

earlybirdnj

Not true. They take ALL active duty service members, not just officers and NCO's.

And I made the mistake of switching to Geico for a while. They dropped me after another Geico member rearended me, and I reported it. Didn't make a CLAIM, just reported it, as there was no damage to my car, or myself.
The cop gave the woman a ticket.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:22 AM EDT
[#38]
ALL INSURANCE IS A F-ING SCAM

you pay dearly for years and years and make a claim you are either rated or dropped.  real nice.  Same with home insurance.  Pay them enought to buy your house and you make a hail claim and they tell you you cant make any more hail claims.  This is after you pay their $1k "deductible"  its ass rape no matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#39]
My 19 year old son was home on leave.  Wanted to buy a 2001 Z71 Chevy extended cab pickup.  Contacted several insurance companies including all those who brag about their low rates.  All came in at $4,000.  Went to my trusty State Farm agent (milsurp collector to boot) and he returns a price of $1,600.   Truck now affordable and son very happy.  

He told me that Geico has gone bankrupt 5 times in the last 40 years and every time they do, the rest of the insurance companies get stuck picking up the tab due to co-insurance regulations.   He has lost a lot of business to Geico over the years, but then customers try to return after they have had an accident and Geico screws them over in the settlement.   If your insurance company drops you after an accident, then you wind up in the risk pool many companies won't take you on as a new customer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep, if you qualify for it, USAA is the bomb.  Highly recommended.

- CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top