Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 5:12:07 PM EDT
Well, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Credit card company called and told us about it. We called to CC company back, to make sure it wasn't some sort of a scam attempt (we weren't asked for any info, but you never know).

I think I'm going to reconsider online purchases.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What company?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My brother's CC number was copied when he
went to pay for gas somewhere.
They hit the account with $250 in drinks at some hotel
in Miami Beach.
The CC company refused to accept that the number was stolen.
I'll have to ask him if he paid the CC co. or told them to FOAD.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
USAA thankfully.
I was fully expecting the CVC scam.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to cancel my card and order a new one with different numbers every six months from now on.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:23:16 PM EDT
[#5]
When we called back, we used the number on the back of the card obviously, they started asking about charges today. Seems the thief bought or tried to buy an expensive watch this morning at 0510. He or she decided to buy from a shoe store three times today.

I had to explain the Midway USA charge was mine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
For online I use a debit card, which has its own account, used only for the debit card.

When I need to make a purchase online, I log into my bank's website and transfer funds.

Hard to charge up money on a stolen debit card # when there's no funds in the account 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For online I use a debit card, which has its own account, used only for the debit card.

When I need to make a purchase online, I log into my bank's website and transfer funds.

Hard to charge up money on a stolen debit card # when there's no funds in the account 99% of the time.

This is an oustanding idea.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, check your credit card issuer's website. A few of mine have added a new feature that  gives you the ability to create 1-time use credit card numbers that are linked to your credit card. Once the number is used, it is deactivated and can't be used again. Seems perfect for online usage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When we called back, we used the number on the back of the card obviously, they started asking about charges today. Seems the thief bought or tried to buy an expensive watch this morning at 0510. He or she decided to buy from a shoe store three times today.

Do you think your CC number was stolen/compromised from an online purchase? I assume that because you say you're going to "reconsider online purchases".

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you think your CC number was stolen/compromised from an online purchase? I assume that because you say you're going to "reconsider online purchases".

Yes. I haven't used that CC for an in person purchase in forever.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Some credit-card companies support "virtual" card numbers--these are generated off the website and are only good for one purchase. Citibank is one that does this.
But as I said in another thread, nowadays most of the credit-card fraud that occurs is NOT "some person copying off the number when you pay for something in person", by far most of it is stolen over computer networks, by people who can be anywhere on Earth, as it moves between the dozens of companies that probably already know your CC#. Some of these companies are retailers you buy from and others are just processing companies involved in managing CC transactions.
And there's no way to get around the risk.
You just watch the charges, and call+cancel when something fraudulent gets put on.
There is nothing you can do, short of "not having any credit cards".
~~~~~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top