Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2001 4:56:20 AM EDT
I need to ship my AR back to the manufacturer for repair because of a bad fitting upper.  I was told to ship via UPS.  Do I just pack up the gun and bring it to the UPS office to ship?  Are their any other restrictions?

I emailed UPS, but their reply talked mostly about shipping handguns.

Thanks

York
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You are allowed to also ship your long gun via, Parcel Post (USPS), Federal Express, etc. Do whichever is most convenient to YOU, not them (UPS doesn't get ANY of my business). Generally the drill goes like this: pack your rifle securely and deliver to the shipping point. Declare the contents and insure for whatever amount you feel is necessary (usually actual replacement cost for me). If youy choose to give your hard earned money to the assholes at UPS, you will sometimes have to argue with an uninformed and uneducated moron at the counter regarding the legalities of this (sending your rifle back to be repaired). They may open your package and pull all of your stuff out, "Cuz we need to see if there's really a gun in here." If you ship via USPS, take a statement into the counter that says something like, "Postmaster- Enclosed is my blah-blah rifle, that I am sending back to blah-blah for repair. I hereby declare that it is not a Class III weapon, it is unloaded, and there are no live munitions contained herein. Signed, ME." And that's the end of that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  I didn't know that I could ship via FedEX.  That would be a heck of alot easier for me.  Do they give a hassle about declaring a firearm?  I'll be shipping it from New York City ( I live in NJ, but work in NYC).

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help Chuck.  I've got it broken down into the two halves, but I just have to find a box for it.  I may stop by the FedEX office this afternoon and ask them some questions.

York
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:39:01 AM EDT
[#5]
look in the old posts here for a thread on your same subject. I sent a rifle back thru UPS in the city with no problems, make sure you insure it. walked mine into UPS in a hard black carrying case but paid extra so they also put it in a big unmarked box & stuff it with packing paper too.  funny thing I sent it to Springfield by UPS & they shipped it back by FED-EX
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
It's illegal for you to bring your AR-15 into NYC. You'll be subject to arrest and confiscation of the rifle.

Play it safe and ship it from NJ via USPS.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#7]
rkbar15,
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't actually keen on bringing in the box to NYC. It is just convenient, since there is a FedEx office right next to where I work. I just have to find some time to get to the post office, or a FedEx office in NJ to ship the rifle back.

York
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top