Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:34 PM EDT
The neighbor just called and said he picked up his Bushmaster at the local gunshop that he had ordered from a distributor and had shipped in. When he picked it up he paid the transfer fee (understandable), but then he was charged PA state sales tax on the gun also. Anyone hear of this before? The dealer said that if he had a used firearm ordered and shipped to him, then he wouldn't have had to charge state tax. Is this something new? I never had to pay tax on a gun that I ordered in from a distributor before.  Thanks,  Terry
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of that, it sounds like the dealer may have made a little extra.

Jerad
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
no
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Did the buyer pay the shipper directly for the gun,or did it go through the dealers account? If the buyer paid the shipper directly, then he doesn't pay the dealer anything but the transfer fee and whatever tax applies to that. Some states will have him declare the tax he SHOULD have paid to the out of state shipper on the tax return at the end of the year.
And I don't know about private citizens being able to order directly from distributors. Usually the dealer has to place that order.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
If your friend paid the transfering dealer for the rifle then yes tax has to be added. If your friend paid the seller in the other state for the rifle and just had it sent to the local dealer then no tax should be added. I think your friend got reamed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did the buyer pay the shipper directly for the gun,or did it go through the dealers account? If the buyer paid the shipper directly, then he doesn't pay the dealer anything but the transfer fee and whatever tax applies to that. Some states will have him declare the tax he SHOULD have paid to the out of state shipper on the tax return at the end of the year.

Pretty much every state has a law on this, but enforcement is sporadic at best.  It's usually called a 'Use tax.'

I think that either the dealer doesn't know what the F their talking about, or they made a little extra on the deal.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Dealer made extra...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
He made extra, i pay tax on the transfer fee,thats it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Was the sale made out of state? Then the dealer shouldn't be collecting sales tax.

Unless it was really put up on a computer / register and collected as sales tax, the dealer likely just pocketed a little extra lucre for himself.

Have your friend call the state revenue departmant and get an opinion. Then, if it turns out the dealer is wrong, have him go back to the dealer and get his stolen money back. Let the dealer know that if he doesn't give his 'tax' payment back, he'll report the dealer to the state.

The world of gunshops doesn't need any more slimey dealers around.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know what the deal is, but I have to say that if the dealer made a mistake, it was totally unintentional. I have dealt with this guy for years and I trust his as much as many of my friends. Great guy. That said, he might just be reading into something the wrong way. I would prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'll tell my neighbor to look into this further and then contact the dealer again. Thanks for the input,  Terry
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
no
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
No.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#12]
do you pay ups sales tax for bringing you stuff purchaed out of state? i think the dealer relied on the fact that most people don't fully understand how out of state transfers work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top