Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 11:46:47 AM EDT
I am in a never ending cycle of buying and selling handguns due to various reasons. Here's my problem -I want an Auto and reliability is a must. The guns I've owned:

My Sig 220 was the most reliable gun I have ever owned. Went bang each and every time. But they are too big for CCW for me. Just picked up a new P2009 with the changeable grips. That will be for sale soon in the EE - too big still -nuff said

My Kimber CDP2 compact felt the best in my hand and was easy to CCW, but it was not reliable. I was told it was because I was limpwristing. But if that is the case, why didn't the Sig which I owned for several years before the Kimber ever do that? So right now a 1911 is the last thing I feel like trusting my life too. Can limp wristing be overcome? because honeslty I really like the feel of a 1911.

CZ 75c is a fine gun, but the damn trigger is too far away for my finger to reliably grab with each pull.

S&W Sigma, felt ok, easy enough to conceal, but lousy trigger.

XD9 best bet so far but kinda large, although it does fit my very hand well.

Kahr PM9 -just did not like this gun or the way it felt in my hand.

HK USP40C just a bit too large for my liking.

I'm leaning towards the Para's or maybe a P2000 although they don't really look all that smaller than the compact HK.

Any ideas? right now I am carrying a Keltec p3at, at least it is on me everyday, but I really would like more firepower.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Glock 30 or 36
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would vote for the XD 9.    its single stack.  how small are your hands   i own 3 XD pistols.   i have no complaints

cz would be my next vote
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
No, the guns listed are the ones I own and for whatever reason do not like for CCW.

The 30 and 36 are great choices. Do these things really have a tendency to blow though?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, the guns listed are the ones I own and for whatever reason do not like for CCW.

The 30 and 36 are great choices. Do these things really have a tendency to blow though?

No more than any other pistol, just run factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
One word . . . GLOCK
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Look into the Sig 245, a single stacked 45 with a shorter grip and barrel than the 220. Or the now discontinued 225, a single stack 9 (my personal favorite and #1 on the CCW)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in same boat.  Started with the service and sub in XD, then went to Colt, then Sig, now back with XD sub.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
stick with
SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG SIG  
226, 228 the smallest 239 .40cal

the P239

Caliber
9mm
Overall Length  6.6 inches
Overall Height  5.1 inches
Overall Width    1.2 inches
Barrel Length     3.6 inches
Weight w/o Mag   25.2 oz
Mag Weight          2.3 oz
Sight Radius        5.2 inches
Mag Capacity       8
Available Finishes   Nitron®, Two-Tone

Caliber                 .357 SIG, .40 S&W
Overall Length     6.6 inches
Overall Height      5.2 inches
Overall Width        1.2 inches
Barrel Length         3.6 inches
Weight w/o Mag     27.4 oz
Mag Weight            2.4 oz
Sight Radius           5.2 inches
Mag Capacity         7
Available Finishes  Nitron®, Two-Tone
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sig 228.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]
You're SOL dude.  Sell all your guns and move to california where its safe.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Send the CDP off to a reputable 'smith. You like the way it feels, do what you need to do to make it right.

practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Sig 239 in .40 cal. or .357 Sig
27.5 ounces empty
7+1 capacity
Sig reliability

Link to P239 details

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm leaning towards the Para's or maybe a P2000 although they don't really look all that smaller than the compact HK.

the bigger P2000 uses USPc mags, so the size will be similar. The backstraps are interchangable, so the grip size can be changed though.
the P2000SK is pretty small though
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Why mess with the best (Flame suit on)
Get a 1911 ( or clone) shoot it untill you can handle it.
I know that there are threads here that tell you different, but the clue is can you handle it, and hit?
High cap. mags. are nice, but if you can't with what you brought it don't mean sh...t.
Can you run point and hit a 2 litter bottle at 15 yards? Can you hit the same target from cover?
Do you need more the 8 rounds do do this?
And if you say  that you "aways" get 1' groups it will show that you have never been shot at.
I was a pistol team shooter
When I had to use the knowledge  I learned a 8 inch group is what did the trick.
BTW the first shot counted the others were for effect. But the bastard shot 3 more times.
he did'nt hit anyone but he shot.. damn non brain pan shot as I was dving for cover..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like what I went through in my quest for my CCW, in the end I carry a fullsize 1911, either a Springfield TRP or a Kimber Custom CDP, both are extremely reliable (or I wouldn't carry them), slimmer than most Glocks, Sigs, HK, etc.., and I shoot the 1911 better than the other plaforms as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am in a never ending cycle of buying and selling handguns due to various reasons. Here's my problem -I want an Auto and reliability is a must. The guns I've owned:

My Sig 220 was the most reliable gun I have ever owned. Went bang each and every time. But they are too big for CCW for me. Just picked up a new P2009 with the changeable grips. That will be for sale soon in the EE - too big still -nuff said

My Kimber CDP2 compact felt the best in my hand and was easy to CCW, but it was not reliable. I was told it was because I was limpwristing. But if that is the case, why didn't the Sig which I owned for several years before the Kimber ever do that? So right now a 1911 is the last thing I feel like trusting my life too. Can limp wristing be overcome? because honeslty I really like the feel of a 1911.

CZ 75c is a fine gun, but the damn trigger is too far away for my finger to reliably grab with each pull.

S&W Sigma, felt ok, easy enough to conceal, but lousy trigger.

XD9 best bet so far but kinda large, although it does fit my very hand well.

Kahr PM9 -just did not like this gun or the way it felt in my hand.

HK USP40C just a bit too large for my liking.

Any ideas? right now I am carrying a Keltec p3at, at least it is on me everyday, but I really would like more firepower.

You said you like the Sig, doesnt Sig make a smaller 45 that the 220?

ETA: I think its the Sig 245??
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Sounds like what I went through in my quest for my CCW, in the end I carry a fullsize 1911, either a Springfield TRP or a Kimber Custom CDP, both are extremely reliable (or I wouldn't carry them), slimmer than most Glocks, Sigs, HK, etc.., and I shoot the 1911 better than the other plaforms as well.

What about the limpwristing/stovepipe issue? And why doesn't it do it with the 220 when I shoot that? Is stovepipiing a 1911 thing?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]

You said you like the Sig, doesnt Sig make a smaller 45 that the 220?

ETA: I think its the Sig 245??

I went that route and just brought myself a Sig Pro 2009 for Chirstmas. Problem was I brought it here off a dealer and never held it. But I thought since it was the plastic frame with the interchangeable grip plates I'd be ok, but even that is too big for my hand to comfortably wrap around. I just assumed that was the smallest pistol Sig made.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What about the limpwristing/stovepipe issue? And why doesn't it do it with the 220 when I shoot that? Is stovepipiing a 1911 thing?

I've only heard of limpwristing issues with the small compact, subcompact and micro 1911 frames, not the full size. My wife is very petite and has very weak wrists, she never has any problems shooting fullsize 1911's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Your best bet would be to have somebody who knows what they're doing actually watch you shoot the Kimber.
They can see whether you're limpwristing or not.

I don't know anything about Sigs, so no help there.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude you sound JUST like me.

You know what ended up as my carry gun?

My SP101 revolver.

If you can get over the fact it only has 5 shots, it really is the best carry pistol.

Feels the best in your hand, follow up shots are a breeze, small footprint while you carry, can be used a club, can be pulled out of my hoslter ready to rock at any standing and sitting position with just one arm/hand the list really does go on.

Me, I've came to grips with my urban CCW encounter. I know that it will be at close range and it won't be a friggen 3 mag shootout from house to house or car to car so I'm OK with 5 shots.

As soon as most of you get over your CCW fantasies you'll realize that revolver makes for one of the best carry pistols, at least thats one mans opinion.

1911's are by far my favorite pistols but I would stay far away from them as CCW pistols unless you do it right a FULLY test that bitch. And I mean FULLY.
I personally have had NOTHING but problems with my Kimbers, not that Kimber's should be a benchmark in 1911's. Myabe their old clackmas models but NONE of the shit they've put out in the last 8 years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#26]
When you finally figure it out and buy a Glock, let us know!

G
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
When you finally figure it out and buy a .40 Browning Hi-Power, let us know!

G

Fixed it.  

Seriously though.. I went through the same thing.  I ran through three different Para Ordnance pistols, all of which I eventually sold/traded, a Walther PPK/S, a Sig 229, a Colt Officers' ACP, and I eventually picked up a BHP in .40 S&W.  It turned out to be the most accurate and reliable pistol I've ever handled, and it fits my hand well.  Just keep looking.... you'll eventually find the one that works for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Aren't the high powers a bit big for CCW though?

Everyone's comments are great by the way  I'm taking in all the info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Glock:

1)  Cheap mags everywhere - check
2)  Cheap replacement parts online - check
3)  Cheap/free repairs at USA HQ - check
4)  Works out of the box - check
5)  Easy to clean/maintain - check
6)  Rust proof - check
7)  Reliable?  check this:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658

OK, it needs new sights as the factory ones suck, but nothing else except lube and ammo.  Really, save the $$$ and use it for a training course with a good pistol/tactical instructor.  That's much more important than which pistol you buy.  

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top