Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 9:48:24 AM EDT
I have one set of surround sound speakers and two PCs I want to be able to run the speakers (not at the same time).  Can anybody recommend a low-cost switch that will let me switch the speaker input between the PCs?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I could find off newegg were multimedia KVM switches:

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&description=speaker+switch&InnerCata=143
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you want to switch all the channels of the surround sound?  How are you currently connecting from the computer to the speakers?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Make one. Seriously, I've made a/b switches for $10 bucks and a few minutes of my time telling the guy at Radio Shack to leave me alone.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The only thing I could find off newegg were multimedia KVM switches:

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=GO&Range=1&bop=and&description=speaker+switch&InnerCata=143

Thanks, but I don't need a full-blown KVM switch.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Make one. Seriously, I've made a/b switches for $10 bucks and a few minutes of my time telling the guy at Radio Shack to leave me alone.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing.  Do I just need to run two wires from each jack?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Do you want to switch all the channels of the surround sound?  How are you currently connecting from the computer to the speakers?

Just using the simple "speaker" jack on my sound card.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No you havent.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No you havent.

WTF?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking of doing.  Do I just need to run two wires from each jack?

Just google something like "guitar a/b switch schematic". That's what I did. You just end up using 1/8" jacks instead of 1/4" inch jacks. Nothin' to it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#10]
$21 if you don't feel like doing your own soldering.

Link
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
$21 if you don't feel like doing your own soldering.

Link

Thanks.  This is the one I came up with when I Google'd for it, but I figured there would be cheaper ones out there.  I'll probably run by Radio Shack tonight.  If they don't have one I can buy, I'll just pick up the materials and make one myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top