Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 9:00:27 AM EDT
I'm thinking of building some furniture (tables), and once I get to the finish stage I've got to decide whether to put a nice finish on it, or whether to beat on it with chains and rub the finish off at places to give it the shabby antique look.  And although I like that look, it just seems sorta lame...  

Like people that buy already worn out jeans and rub the finish off thier AKs
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You pay wayyy too much for good furniture to intentionally ding it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would you build tables and then ruin them?

If you want beat up furniture then go to a garage sale.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:05:42 AM EDT
[#3]
what kind of wood? cheaper, no character wood may actually look better distressed and antiqued. don't think id do it to inlayed walnut though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You pay wayyy too much for good furniture to intentionally ding it up.

Good Point!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've only distressed used furniture that had a terrible finish,and was being painted over.
Any wood of better quality than white pine, I wouldn't distress.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes........It is lame...

The whole predistressed thing is supposed to look like its time worn, sort of faux antique...

What it looks like is some idiot took a cheap piece of furniture and intentionally  pockmarked it with a nail.  Funny, but I never seen honest wear that looked like little nail holes...

Predistressed sucks...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#7]
oops  shitty hit the submit button twice thingy
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
GF wanted a table like that... We found the exact same table at an unfinished funiture store for for a lot less. I let my nephew beat on it with various things, finished it, let it sit out for a week, scraped some of the finish off... Distressed !
I drug it around the back yard behind my truck a few times for good measure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:00:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not lame if you like French styling
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I sell paint. People come in all of the time wanting distressed, antiqued, and cracked finishes on their furniture and cabinets.

When I sell them the paint and supplies to do it they bitch at me if the can of paint or stain I give them is dented.

Its cool for $4,000 cabinets to be dinged up but if you gotta buy a dented can of stain to get the job done the shit is going to hit the fan!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
just make some furniture....when it gets fucked up, dont freak.  

when I bought my last pickup, I didn't fuck the bed up by loading rock into it on day one...but it's fucked up now w 220k on the clock.

I dont go out to eat Mexican and smear picante on my shirt off the bat, even though I realize some may end up there as I wait for the meal....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
It's lame when they do it to guitars.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I sell paint. People come in all of the time wanting distressed, antiqued, and cracked finishes on their furniture and cabinets.

When I sell them the paint and supplies to do it they bitch at me if the can of paint or stain I give them is dented.

Its cool for $4,000 cabinets to be dinged up but if you gotta buy a dented can of stain to get the job done the shit is going to hit the fan!

Now THAT's funny !  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#15]
the only thing gayer than distressed furniture is a distressed AR
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I think the distressed look is teh gay...especially on the cheap particle board crap they call furniture...

But think about this for a minute... I bet most of us wear distressed jeans...

When I was a kid, I wore regular blue jeans...no one had heard of  "stone washed"...

These days, I think regular jeans look wierd...I always buy stone washed jeans...

Jeans tumbled in a machine with real stones, so they look old...

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top