Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 8:43:50 AM EDT
Modern Philly sucks but since I'm stuck here in "The City of Brotherly Love" -  I figured I'd check out some of the historical sites around here. Will update throughout  the week as I visit other places.

Old Independence Hall. National Park Service gave a very informative tour of the building and its history. This is where the Declaration of Independence was written and signed, among other important pieces of history.  

Inside Independence Hall. Limited tour and all the pics I got came out dark. This is the room where the Declaration of Independence was signed and where the the Articles of Confederation were scrapped in the 1780's as the Continental Congress attempted to form a new government - which eventually became the Republic we know today.

The Liberty Bell. I expected this 2,000 lb bell to be a LOT bigger. Like the Statue of Liberty - perceptions are always larger then life. Still neat to see. The current bell hanging in Independence Hall has been there since the late 1800's.

.......More to follow
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been to these places on several occasions and it is awe inspiring to know that in that building(Independence Hall) this nation was born..  Did you see the chair with the rising sun?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Now I have to watch National Treasure again.

Nice pics, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Alos, last year or maybe 2 years ago some asshat took a 2lb hammer to the bell.  he got arrested and sent to jial on federal charges IIRC..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nice pics, thanks.

Right, where are all those secret passages

thanks for the photos
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no love for Phili. City of Brotherly love must be a sick joke.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nor do I but it is the most historical place on the world map IMHO.  What happened here 230 years ago changed the world more than any other event in recorded history..  Flame suit on for the religious folks to go on the offensive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Philadelphia is steeped in rich history & tradition.

I wish NJ would adopt it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nice pics, thanks.

Never been to Philly but I would like to go someday.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but it is on the list to see very soon.

Thanks for the pics.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nor do I but it is the most historical place on the world map IMHO.  What happened here 230 years ago changed the world more than any other event in recorded history..  Flame suit on for the religious folks to go on the offensive.

I agree and I don't see any reason for you to have your flame suit on.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, safe is better than sorry, LOL!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Philadelphia is a great city.  I went undergrad and grad school there (drexel and penn).  The city has alot to offer if you are so inclined.  Here are some highlights...some of which has been seen already...

Independence Hall
The Liberty Bell Museum
The National Constitution Center (this is by far one of the best displays re: American History anywhere, even Smithsonian)
The U.S. Mint

The Philadelphia Art Museum
The Rodin Museum (has the second largest number of Rodin art next to the Louvre in France)

Philadelphia has world-class restaurants as well.

Buddakan
Morimoto (yah, Iron Chef Morimoto)
Le Bec Fin
Susanna Foo (my aunt)
and many more...

Philadelphia is a great city, it's generally very clean, has alot to see, and the eats are great.  I've been all over the world and all over the US to every major city...Philadelphia can compete with any of them.

Now, if you don't like urban activities, you probably wont like it.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
The biggest thing wrong with Philly is  the mayor, former  street vendor, the Honorable John Street.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool pics
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have been to these places on several occasions and it is awe inspiring to know that in that building(Independence Hall) this nation was born..  Did you see the chair with the rising sun?

I saw the chair this morning - pretty cool story. I have a good deal of time left here so I'm going to make it a point to see some other sites off duty. There is a Marine Corp military museum nearby I plan to check out tomorrow.

Planning on going to the Old City Tavern tonight - I guess its an "authentic" type tavern that serves beer and food in a colonial atmosphere.

I saw a lot of interesting sites growing up - Lexington & Concord, Bunker Hill, Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Colony, Jamestown, Antietam, Gettysburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Appomatox, Harper's Ferry, etc, and most everything inside Washington DC. Its sucks that many of these great historical sites are located in the heart of now liberal cities. That aside, I think its important to take the opportunity to visit what you can if the opportunity is presented.

The Old Independence Hall is amazing because it is small and simple. A place where a mere handful of men set the future and legacy for an entire nation. As I mentioned, the US Park Service did a good presentation and though its just a "building" - there's a ton of history associated with it.

I couldn't recommend the "rest" of Philadelphia - but if passing through I highly recommend stopping in at the historical places.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Smith,
are you deployed there with the Coasties or are you there for fun?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]
During my time growing up in PHilly it was nice,as i got older it got nastier. Now i will not go near the city unless heavily armed. Center City is not bad if you've got maybe a .40 or .45. If you are out in the SW or North of the city you want to go with something in a 5.56,7.62 or 12 Gauge.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw the chair this morning - pretty cool story. I have a good deal of time left here so I'm going to make it a point to see some other sites off duty. There is a Marine Corp military museum nearby I plan to check out tomorrow.

Planning on going to the Old City Tavern tonight - I guess its an "authentic" type tavern that serves beer and food in a colonial atmosphere.

I saw a lot of interesting sites growing up - Lexington & Concord, Bunker Hill, Sturbridge Village, Plymouth Colony, Jamestown, Antietam, Gettysburg, Colonial Williamsburg, Appomatox, Harper's Ferry, etc, and most everything inside Washington DC. Its sucks that many of these great historical sites are located in the heart of now liberal cities. That aside, I think its important to take the opportunity to visit what you can if the opportunity is presented.

The Old Independence Hall is amazing because it is small and simple. A place where a mere handful of men set the future and legacy for an entire nation. As I mentioned, the US Park Service did a good presentation and though its just a "building" - there's a ton of history associated with it.

I couldn't recommend the "rest" of Philadelphia - but if passing through I highly recommend stopping in at the historical places.

Old City eh?  On a good night it's a blast, lots of chickies to look at!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:24:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There is a Marine Corp military museum nearby I plan to check out tomorrow.

It's too bad that the Tun Tavern (birthplace of the USMC) is no longer standing, but I heard they have a plaque mounted somewhere around the original location to commemorate the historical place.  IIRC it is on the footbridge to Penn's Landing on Market Street; go to 2nd and Market (you can take the blue line subway to 2nd and Market or cab it) and then walk east towards the Ben Franklin bridge, on the footbridge that has the "Penn's Landing" arch above it.  

Also, dunno if you've made it to the Constitution Center yet but that's also a nice place to visit.  They even have a little bit on the 2A, which is surprising given Philly's atty-tood towards guns.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#19]
who's the guy in the bunnysuit?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
i used to work right across the street from the bell

there is a park about 100 yards from the bell that is one of the largest mass graves in the USA

contractors don't like to dig there because they get a bone with each scoop of dirt

Washington Square

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude, go see the battleship New Jersey.

Right on the other side of the delaware, about 1 mile from where you were standing.

take the train.

new jersey

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Used to live in philly, dumbass mayor wanted to ban all guns from the city
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The biggest thing wrong with Philly is  the mayor, former  street vendor, the Honorable John Street.

He has to be one of the biggest hypocrites.  My dad and I can't stand him.  Headed back to Philly to see my parents in a few months.  The historical sites are cool for a tourist but if you have lived there and traveled the world courtesty of Uncle Sam you see how much of a armpit Philly is minus a few parts.  

I grew up in the city and went to public school there, rode Septa.   Not one of those suburb types that say they are from Philly
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to college there from 1995-2000, didn't seem too bad at the time.  The criminals knew to go to the UPenn campus.  When they tried to rob people on my campus it was ass-kicking time, we were poor broke bastards.

My favorite part of visiting all of the beautiful foundations of our great nation is the irony of the bag searches as you enter the Constitution Center.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Philadelphia is a great city.  I went undergrad and grad school there (drexel and penn).  The city has alot to offer if you are so inclined.  Here are some highlights...some of which has been seen already...

Independence Hall
The Liberty Bell Museum
The National Constitution Center (this is by far one of the best displays re: American History anywhere, even Smithsonian)
The U.S. Mint

The Philadelphia Art Museum
The Rodin Museum (has the second largest number of Rodin art next to the Louvre in France)

Philadelphia has world-class restaurants as well.

Buddakan
Morimoto (yah, Iron Chef Morimoto)
Le Bec Fin
Susanna Foo (my aunt)
and many more...

Philadelphia is a great city, it's generally very clean, has alot to see, and the eats are great.  I've been all over the world and all over the US to every major city...Philadelphia can compete with any of them.

Now, if you don't like urban activities, you probably wont like it.  

Thanks for the advice - I saw the National Constitution Center today. It was definitely worth the visit along with the Benjamin Franklin museum portion of it. Military discount for active duty too which was nice. I'll have to check out a few of the restaurants you listed and I still need to see a couple more museums. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Screw Buddakan, Mori Moto and Le Bec Fin.  Been to them all and a lot of it is hype.  Mori Moto was pretty average an no one I went with really liked it.  Le Bec Fin was good food, but stupidly expensive - 500 bucks 3 people and I have had food on par with it at places far less expensive.  Your paying for the atmosphere and people who grovel at your every beck and whim.  Not my kind of place.  211 York in Jenkintown is run by an ex chef from there I think.  Buddakan gets my ire because every god damned time I walk past that place I almost trip over Mayor Street and his freaking cronies as they leave.  

Get down to 16th and Spruce and go to Monk's.  Good food and an insane selection of beers from all over the world.  Figure you will drop 40 bucks there and most of that will be beer.  Get the Liefman's Goudenband.  Get there early if you do it for dinner because its a small place and it gets packed as the night goes on.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#27]
how about some photos from 6 blocks over.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Screw Buddakan, Mori Moto and Le Bec Fin.  Been to them all and a lot of it is hype.  Mori Moto was pretty average an no one I went with really liked it.  Le Bec Fin was good food, but stupidly expensive - 500 bucks 3 people and I have had food on par with it at places far less expensive.  Your paying for the atmosphere and people who grovel at your every beck and whim.  Not my kind of place.  211 York in Jenkintown is run by an ex chef from there I think.  Buddakan gets my ire because every god damned time I walk past that place I almost trip over Mayor Street and his freaking cronies as they leave.  

Get down to 16th and Spruce and go to Monk's.  Good food and an insane selection of beers from all over the world.  Figure you will drop 40 bucks there and most of that will be beer.  Get the Liefman's Goudenband.  Get there early if you do it for dinner because its a small place and it gets packed as the night goes on.

As long as we're making food recommendations, the best Chinese food I've ever had was from Sang Kee Duck House, which is on North 9th Street and Vine.  The place looks kind of shabby and cheesy, but the food is awesome.  For cheesesteaks, forget the over-hyped and over-priced, under-sized and under-flavored Pat's and Gino's and go to Jim's on South Street.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah +1 on the Jim's.  Pat's and Geno's are crap.  Although right behind Geno's on the right side is a really bad ass Mexican place.  I think they got taken out in the world trade center attack and moved to philly.  They have Coke from Mexico I think.  Taste really good.  The cooks don't speak english though so depending on who's doing what you might have to try and wing ordering in spanish.  They are cool dudes though and really friendly at least when I went.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]
filthadelphia sux - brotherly love is something Mr Penn never intended
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Second on Monk's ... try the mussels (if you like seafood) while you're there, in addition to the great selecton of Belgian beer.

I'm not a guy who's into fine foods so I can't say regarding Morimoto's, Suzanna Foo's, Le Bec Fin or any of those other places.  I've eaten at each one (except Buddakan) and I didn't have bad experiences or anything.  Le Bec Fin is ungodly expensive (good thing the company was paying for it, haha), Suzanna Foo's was nothing special and the only thing memorable about Morimoto's was the color-shifting seats.  

Me, I prefer getting an order of wings from Moriarty's and calling it a night.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Too bad its the off season or I would recommend touring Eastern State Prison. It is really close to downtown .I visited it while on a business trip recently(last day of the year for tours)-it was absolutely fascinating.

http://www.easternstate.org/
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Dude, go see the battleship New Jersey.

Right on the other side of the delaware, about 1 mile from where you were standing.

take the train.

new jersey

www.bb62museum.org/images/h45486.jpg

Or if you can get in close enough to it, check out the "mothball fleet".  

USS New Jersey is a little north-east from the mothballed ships.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#35]
The Maritime Museum is just an easy walk down a block or two from Independence Hall and is worth visiting too.

And while you're there and have the time Gettysburg is not all that far away.  Somehow you don't get the feelings at Valley Forge that you do at G'burg.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

http://www.easternstate.org/

The prison is 4-5 blocks of my place.  Definitely a thumbs up ... they say Eastern State Pen is haunted so it's a very interesting place to see.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top