Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:48 AM EDT
 Not sure of a comparable web site in this genre, sooooo, I need a combo giutar amp, something versatile, high quality, and all tube, preferably. I like the Brit sound and SRV tones, very little interest in Pantera like distortion. Any ideas? Up to $1500? I play a Strat and a 335, if that helps. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Fender Twin and a Marshall Jcm 800 2x12 with an A/B box. It will cost a little more than what you want to spend, but the tones are great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
MESA!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 Not sure of a comparable web site in this genre, sooooo, I need a combo giutar amp, something versatile, high quality, and all tube, preferably. I like the Brit sound and SRV tones, very little interest in Pantera like distortion. Any ideas? Up to $1500? I play a Strat and a 335, if that helps. Thanks.

A Fender Twin is a good suggestion. I am also fond of my 65 Super Reverb re-issue.

Fender's tube amps are great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Fender Concert with an EV 12L speaker.  Sadly, not an original 60's but a reissue from around 1987.  I got the EV out of a Mesa Boogie, and it really helped the tone.  Uses 6LC tubes as I recall.

Spring reverb, comes with footswtich for reverb and "Overdrive".

Ebay?

Edited:  I got curious and found this on Ebay.

cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Pro-Tube-Series-Concert-Amp-Near-Mint_W0QQitemZ7379162204QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like what I was talking about.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:14:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeeze...  With $1500 to spend it sounds like you need to head to Guitar Center.  Too many good choices.  I played an all tube Kustom amp at my local store that sounded real nice.  Called something like a "Hot Rod '36"  IIRC, but it was way less than what you are looking to spend.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Great topic!

I've been thinking about a combo from Genz Benz and Krank. Yes, Krank... They have a mild version to play with. They both are at least worth taking a look at if that is what you're going to spend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Mesa's but they have that scooped out mid range, to me anyway, so you might not get exactly what you are desiring with a Boogie and your axe.  They are awesome rigs though.  Fender Twin or Hot Rod DeVille?  Maybe a Marshall combo?  Peavey 5150 combo?  There's a lot of options, look around.  

Remember you get what you pay for when it comes to this stuff so be prepared to part with some $$ to get what you want.  IMHO you should take your guitar(s) to the shop and wail away on different amps, no effects, just you and the guitar.  Find what sounds good to you and go with it.  And as always, a tube amp sounds like shit unless you crank it up so output is a consideration.  Don't write off the emulation type amps like Line6 and similar.  I had a Line6 2x12 100w combo and it rocked!  Every tone you wanted at a switch at any volume from the bedroom noodler to balls out ear splitter.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Fender tube amps will give you what you're looking for. I've got a Hot Rod Deluxe, and I didn't pay anywhere near $1500 for it.

One thing particuarly nice about this amp: Off all tube amps I've listened to, this one has a preamp that actually sounds nice at lower volumes. While that signature tube tone is always best achived by cranking the volume and warming up the power tubes, this amplifier actually gets it close at a lower volume. You gotta like that!

And hey, it also sounds REALLY nice if you run your guitAR-15 through it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's the Kustom Amp I played.  Sounded quite good and didn't cost nearly $1500.  I played the '36 Coupe.  Not sure if I like the styling but the sound was great.  FWIW if you haven't heard of Kustom they've been around a while.  IIRC CCR used some Kustom amps.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#11]
What style of music are you playing?

Are you playing out?  If so what kind and size venues?

What are you using now?

In almost 20 years of playing I've owned everything from a 70's Twin (gorgeous fat tone), to Laney and Marshall stacks, to all manner of solid state atrocities.  At $1500 for a combo you've got a broad selection of excellent choices available to you.  If I were willing to spend that much on an amp right now I'd probably take a hard look at Mesa Boogie gear.  Anyway, go to some stores and play everything that interests you before you buy anything.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Just out of curiosity, why would you want a combo and not seperate the amp and cab? I would get them seperate personally, it's much more versatile.

Get your cab from here: www.avatarspeakers.com/

EXCELLENT quality cabs and you can choose what speakers you want and how the cab is configured (closed/open back - 2x12 or 4x12 etc). I've owned 3 of their cabs and they have all been excellent in both sound and build quality.

As for the amp I'd look into THD (flexi 50[Avatar sells them so see above link]), marshall vintage series www.marshallamps.com/product_range.asp?productRangeId=4 or  fender twin

HTH and have fun
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Are you playing out?

If it's just for home, then a twin is way too much.

I like the Hot Rod Deluxe but even that you won't play cranked much.

For $1500 you've got your pick of some really neat amps.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
So, I've gotten home, and am shopping in earnest now. I will be playing at home and the occasional garage gig. No need for anything huge, but I probably will go for a 2 x 12 size box.

I remember the 5150s when they first came out. Nice stuff. Perhaps a 6505.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:14:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I was talking to the guitarist from my old band recently (he has been playing gigs continuously since the 70s) and he turned me on to Bogner Amps. I spent a lot of time listening to their mp3 sound clips and these things rank right up there with the very best.

www.bogneramplification.com/

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Not meant as a hijack but does anyone know what happened to Pearce electronics ? I used to own a rack mountable head that ran two 12" EV's that was sweet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Try a Traynor - very good sounding amps, much cheaper than their competition and wonderfully versatile and warm amps all across the line.

The Valve 80 is a very nice 2x12 unit.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
" Not sure of a comparable web site in this genre"

Take a look over at www.fenderforum.com   The guy who runs it is a good guy who also likes guns (he brings up shooting Enfields and other topics in their GD once in a while).   You do have to choose the correct  forum for the topic though, their GD is more like "Everything music except gear- and a no politics rule, which they did to keep arguments from piling up in a music forum".  Fender topics go in Fender gear forum, all gear questions non-Fender, go into the Non-Fender forum he has there.  If you folllow those rules, it's a good board to ask Fender and non-Fender gear questions.

$1500 will get you a great amp.

I just picked up a Mesa Lonestar Special, which was a little more ($1799), but has an amazing clean and overdrive tones.   I agree some Mesas go overboard on mid, but those are more like their Heavy metal amps such as the Dual-Recto and Rectoverb.  The Lonestar is really geared towards blues and clean.

For $400, the Fender Blues Junior has some awesome all tube tones, but both my amp choices are biased in towards blues/clean.  Don't be turned off by the price, alot of tube tone people praise it as a tube tone bargain.

As another guy said, head to Guitar Center, and try out a bunch of stuff for yourself.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:34:44 AM EDT
[#19]
here's another decent forum for reading about expensive amps
www.thegearpage.net

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Kustom has been  around since the 60's, and made some good equipment way back when.  They withered down to almost nothing for awhile, but lately have been reintroducing some better equipment.

Way back they were known for being very rugged for working bands, and if a problem, outstanding quick repair service.  And reguar speakers were Jensen, but they offered JBL as an option, and if memory serves, also EV.   Their amps would work all the way down to 1 ohm loads.

The "tuck and roll" naugahyde was their signature.  Especially in the wild colors, like red, blue, silver, and gold sparkle.  Looks like they are trying to capture that look again.

www.kustom.com/archived/archived_products.asp

Carvin is another to look at.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Try a fender Vibro-King, I'm not sure if they still make it, but if you can find one used somewhere they are awesome sounding amps.  Also you never can go wrong with a fender twin reverb.  Matchless makes good sounding stuff too.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#23]
get a marshall 18 watt tmb clone... an Aiken Invader is a highly refined version of this and you might be able to find one used in your budget. www.18watt.com is a good place to start looking too though. www.ironsounds.com would be a good place to start if you want to build your own.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Based on the sound you like, try the Fender Hot Rod Deville 4 x 10.  The best blues sound you can get!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]
go to www.harmony-central.com

check reviews on electric guitar amps.

when you find what you want, check prices at www.musicansfriend.com
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

i play at home. i got a line6 pod xt pro. 30 or so amps simulated and around 60 effects. 700 bucks. i play it through my computer which has a very very good sound system and speakers...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

i play at home. i got a line6 pod xt pro. 30 or so amps simulated and around 60 effects. 700 bucks. i play it through my computer which has a very very good sound system and speakers...

You CAN hear the difference between a real tube amp and a Line6 sim, right...RIGHT?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You CAN hear the difference between a real tube amp and a Line6 sim, right...RIGHT?

That can take a long time to finally hear, but once you hear it, you're screwed and  can't go back to integrated circuits.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

the heck with solid state...  nothing sounds like a good tube amp.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

you prolly cant tell on a pro recording....

the heck with solid state...  nothing sounds like a good tube amp.

otay.. i got your tubes...
THD Flexi-50 50W/20W Class AB Amplifier Head

actually the line6 unit is pretty cool. tubes are cool too. get both if ya gotta.. isnt both the theme here?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Aiken Amps

Great stuff

The Gear Page is a great resource.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#32]
$1500? You could get an Orange 1x12 30 watt tube combo.

I like the Vox combo's myself.

Can't beat a nice Fender Blues Jr. or something though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

You sure can.

BTW I love my HR Deluxe, I even play my Martin through it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Sooooo, I went with a Fender Pro Junior after hosing around Guitar Center in Atlanta. This little thing cooks. 2 knobs and an attitude, wish it distorted sooner.  Thanks to all for your suggestions. It appears I have a mortgage payment and a half left over... Maybe a Tube Screamer...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Sooooo, I went with a Fender Pro Junior after hosing around Guitar Center in Atlanta. This little thing cooks. 2 knobs and an attitude, wish it distorted sooner.  Thanks to all for your suggestions. It appears I have a mortgage payment and a half left over... Maybe a Tube Screamer...

get the TS7, it sounds as good as the 9 and it only costs $40...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you playing out?

You sure can.

BTW I love my HR Deluxe, I even play my Martin through it!

Don't bet on people being able to hear the dif between tube and SS.

I have a GT-6 that plays through a SS power-amp live, and we play with bands pretty much all the time. I have lost count of the guitarists that think my rig is a tube rig. Sometimes they qualify that by asking what tubes I'm using, cause they can hear it....blah blah blah.

Is there a difference in general? Yes, but a carefully dialed tone through a good sim/preamp can sound VERY convincing....probably 95% of the real thing, and there are (shock shock) some tones that a tube amp CAN'T do, that a SS rig can, which is why I use it.

With a sim/preamp, I am able to seemlessly go between 75 very different tones in an evening, which is important if you play alot of styles or use alot of different sounds. When I ran tube rigs (Mesa, Traynor, Fender), I had to struggle even with pedals to go sonically all over the map like that. Now, it's very easy, lighter, and my tone remains consistent no matter of the gain.....which is yet another improvement over tubes. And, lastly, I can go straight to the boards with an amp sim, which solves yet even more hassles with a tube.

I love a good tube amp, but working clubs for 20 years, I have seen the light and it is a dependable, consistent pre-amp rig that fits in a small case. I'm not quite tube-sound on some patches, but it's so close that even experienced ears have trouble telling - so 99% of the audience doesn't even know or care.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I love a good tube amp, but working clubs for 20 years, I have seen the light and it is a dependable, consistent pre-amp rig that fits in a small case. I'm not quite tube-sound on some patches, but it's so close that even experienced ears have trouble telling - so 99% of the audience doesn't even know or care.

That's the key there - if you're playing clubs with all the noise and drunkeness, nobody is going to notice that you're not running an all tube amp or not. So instead of lugging a fragile, valuable piece of equipment around, why not use technology to make your life easier?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the key there - if you're playing clubs with all the noise and drunkeness, nobody is going to notice that you're not running an all tube amp or not. So instead of lugging a fragile, valuable piece of equipment around, why not use technology to make your life easier?

Yes, absolultely. In the studio? Break out the Matchless and a ribbon mic, but not on a stage where FOH sounds nothing like your rig anyway.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Swingset says it well.   Especially about the tone remaining consistent regardless of level, being able to feed the signal to the PA mixer, etc.

Good tubes are only going to get harder and harder to get.  The ones suitable for guitar amps will be gone in a few years.

SS and tube simulation will be future of guitar amps.

Also, some of the sound of vintage tube amps is also due to the alnico magnet speakers.  You can get vintage type speakers from several sources, Eminence is one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Swingset says it well.   Especially about the tone remaining consistent regardless of level, being able to feed the signal to the PA mixer, etc.

Good tubes are only going to get harder and harder to get.  The ones suitable for guitar amps will be gone in a few years.

Also, some of the sound of vintage tube amps is also due to the alnico magnet speakers.  You can get vintage type speakers from several sources, Eminence is one.

I'm sorry?

I do agree with swingset, for him, it's the right choice. Especially when you get into playing lots of different club gigs with PA's. Those of us splitting our time between VFW halls, venues, and clubs, sometimes we need the tubes for headroom and power without clipping speakers.

As far as everything else, it's a matter of taste, comfort, wallet size, and ability to carry everything.

I've played old amps through new speakers and old speakers, and the speakers do make some difference but nothing that really makes the tone of a tube amp stick out too much differently.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

yep, that's nonsense.

There will be a market for tubes as long as guitar players like them, and if there's that market, someone will be making and selling them.

And I can't see guitar players who are hooked on tubes ever giving them up in favor of simulation, even if the simulations get 99.99999% there (which I highly doubt is going to happen in the next couple of years).

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry?

yep, that's nonsense.

There will be a market for tubes as long as guitar players like them, and if there's that market, someone will be making and selling them.

And I can't see guitar players who are hooked on tubes ever giving them up in favor of simulation, even if the simulations get 99.99999% there (which I highly doubt is going to happen in the next couple of years).

exactly, and new tubes are coming out of Russia and China that are very good, not to mention that there are tubes still being produced in the US... BTW, it's not just guitar players that are driving the demand for tubes, as the market for tube audio systems is growing, due to people discovering how good tube stereos sound for listening to music. You can even get a tube car stereo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]
My son uses a hot rod deville with two 12's .jimmie vaughn strat. 699 for amp and 599 for guitar .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for Mesa Boogie.  The best, bar none.  They make the only single speaker combo amp I ever heard that could sound like everything from a Fender Twin/SRV style tone to Metallica, and be loud enough to play with an entire live band.  I have worked with various guys, and the top ones all used Mesa.  There is a reason.  

Mesa.  Don't look back.  Everything else is just trying to be a Mesa.

ETA: Agree with Swingset too, he has good points.  Note however, that the guys I am talking about are playing original music and don't have need to copy someone else's tone.  Also, you can get variety with tube amps, but you have to build switches.  Then you're looking at custom pedal boxes, quick connect snakes, all that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
exactly, and new tubes are coming out of Russia and China that are very good, not to mention that there are tubes still being produced in the US... BTW, it's not just guitar players that are driving the demand for tubes, as the market for tube audio systems is growing, due to people discovering how good tube stereos sound for listening to music. You can even get a tube car stereo.

The fall of the USSR opened up a whole new world of tube options to guitarists and other audio enthusiasts. The market seemed get much bigger instead of shrinking with the arrival of solid state technology.

There are many DSP based boxes that can give you a great sound for playing live, practicing, or recording at home. Face it, not everyone can properly set up a microphone and has the room to run a tube amp at full blast. For this the new technology serves most people very well.

OTOH, there's nothing like the smell of 100 watts of tubes heating up. It's the hoppes #9 of the guitar world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#47]
One thing about simulators, is that we're only on the 1st generation of them - and they're doing this simulating in a rather crude way. Even as it stands, some of the sims are spot-on, expecially clean tones.

Give it a few years, some better processing and a RTA modelling, and they will be right on with tubes.....even if traditionalists don't like it it'll revolutionize amps. For me, I'll switch completely when they're offering a near-perfect match to tubes because the advantages (price, size, consistency, volume, flexibility, compatibility) will be impossible to resist. I understand why guys cling to traditional amp rigs. I have a couple myself, but once you really dedicate yourself to embracing the new stuff - and this means spending time dialing patches not using crappy presets and deciding the sound isn't you - it's very difficult to go back.

Let's face it - like gun guys alot of amp nuts are in love with the idea of amps - the sound, the look, the heavy, loud idea of the things. I can't tell you how many stages I've worked where empty cabinets were holding up an unplugged head, while the 25w combo sitting off the stage was doing all the work. I have no problem whatsoever being plugged DI without a single amp on stage.....as long as the monitors work, I don't need stage dressing.

In a studio, however, right now, most guitarists including myself still use and rely on good ClassA tube power, but that too is starting to change. I did an entire session with a Johnson J-Station not too long ago because at the end of the day, it was working and the mics and amps weren't.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
A lot of "boutique" amps are not worth the money.    My friend and I have been through many,
including Kendricks, Victorialuxes, Brunos, Tophats,  and some others you may not have heard of,  and
most of them are essentially straight copies of blackface Fender designs and they are radically
overpriced for what you get.   They may sound good,  but they're overpriced.

Buy with your ears, not your eyes or wallet.    LISTEN.   How does the amp REALLY sound?  Ignore
the hype and advertising.   LISTEN.

CJ

Good advice on the boutique amp market. What do you think of some of these big "tube" companies using solid state recitifiers? Good idea? Bad idea?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top