Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:55:43 AM EDT
As the HR manager, I handle payroll as well. As some of you may remember, the good people of Florida voted to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.15 last year. Florida has a $3.02 tip credit for tipped employees, so last year our servers, were making $3.13. Well, as of Sunday, minimum wage was boosted AGAIN to $6.40, and the servers are making a whopping $3.38 an hour. To the full time employee, that would be an extra $520 a year, not including holiday or vacation pay, which is an extra $104,000 out of my employer's profits in a year.

It'd be nice if I had two salary increases within 12 months.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Just pass it on to the consumer like every one else.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Lazzie-Faire has been dead for a long time in America.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Which of course, we will end up doing... ever seen a $10 martini jump to $13?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How much do you make an hour?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:59:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The minimu wage is another liberal plan to help the poor that instead actually end up hurting them.,
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Minimum wage is supposedly something you should be able to raise a family on. Don't you love democrats?

It works just fine when you add welfare (cash) benefits, food stamps, and subsidized housing.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]
It's certainly crap when they willingly pay $9.00 an hour at the local In-N-Out Burger.  Even Wal-Mart tops the minimum wage where I live.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Which of course, we will end up doing... ever seen a $10 martini jump to $13?

Ya in a strip club one time..
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Eh, just wait until you have to fire one of them to keep the business afloat. Then, it'll really be crap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

which is an extra $104,000 out of my employer's profits in a year.

Raise your prices.   Duh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Roofers here make 15$.  Heck, Chick-Fil-A has a big banner out front stating starting pay is $9 an hour with bennies.

Where does one even FIND a minimum wage job?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Roofers here make 15$.  Heck, Chick-Fil-A has a big banner out front stating starting pay is $9 an hour with bennies.

Indiana!  No shortage of them here!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Just wait until 20,000,000 "undocumented workers" are magically made "legal" and are thus subject to minimum wage laws.

Instant inflation across the nation, WHOO-HOO!!!

Minimum wage is pure Communism.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Roofers here make 15$.  

Who could even live on that?   $30k a year for full time work.   Minus the taxes........

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Eh, just wait until you have to fire one of them to keep the business afloat. Then, it'll really be crap.

That won't happen anytime soon, we grossed 9.2 million last year, of that $1,794,070.80 were labor costs, not including vacation, or holiday pay.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since he is a salaried employee he probably makes minimum wage (per hour) unless he is non-exempt salaried employee.

BigDozer66

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Regardless of whether or not its legislatively required I can't believe anyone bitching about having to pay someone $6.40/hr.  Fucking free loaders will beliving high on the hog on that huh...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1

$7 an hour is way too easy to find, even here in backwards San Antonio.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Since he is a salaried employee he probably makes minimum wage (per hour) unless he is non-exempt salaried employee.

BigDozer66

I'm pretty happy with my salary, above $45k I'll say.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roofers here make 15$.  

Who could even live on that?   $30k a year for full time work.   Minus the taxes........

That's a damn good salary around here for a laborer esp. if he pushes 50-60 hours a week.  Heck, police officers start the academy at 36K.  The local teachers make about the same.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As the HR manager, I handle payroll as well. As some of you may remember, the good people of Florida voted to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.15 last year. Florida has a $3.02 tip credit for tipped employees, so last year our servers, were making $3.13. Well, as of Sunday, minimum wage was boosted AGAIN to $6.40, and the servers are making a whopping $3.38 an hour. To the full time employee, that would be an extra $520 a year, not including holiday or vacation pay, which is an extra $104,000 out of my employer's profits in a year.

Just do like most other employers who have minimum wage crammed down their throats...Get rid of an employee or two or ten.

That has to be the reason Wal-Mart has 50 registers (up front) and only 8-12 checkers working.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I bet all your servers drive Ferrari's.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Come live in Ft. Lauderdale and live comfortably off of $15 an hour, it's possible, but you'll work your fingers to the bone, and forget about a mortgage
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Come live in Ft. Lauderdale and live comfortably off of $15 an hour, it's possible, but you'll work your fingers to the bone, and forget about a mortgage

Duh - then don't live in Ft. Lauderdale if you can't afford it - move somewhere else. Sheesh!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#28]
[liberalwacko]But they need something to live off of!  They are probably single parents and it is tough, they need all the money they can get for health care.  The increase in the minimum wage now means that instead of feeding their children cheap hotdogs, they can now afford the expensive grillmaster hotdogs, perhaps even be able to afford some mustard or perhaps chili.  Poor people are dying and all you can think about it a loss of profit!  You are just a really, really bad person[/liberalwacko]

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

which is an extra $104,000 out of my employer's profits in a year.

Raise your prices.   Duh.

Thats the point.  Because of the minimum wage, the cost of work is artificially inflated.  In otherwords, for a job you would otherwise get someone to do for X dollars once it is mandated that the person doing that job must be paid X+Y dollars, regardless of the fact that the person would have done it for less, the price of labor just went up.  And it went up through regulation, not through market forces - which is the way it is supposed to be.

So, yes, inevitably the cost of the good/service that employee is used to make/provide will rise, and the cost will be passed on to the consumer (i.e. the rest of us).   Or, the employer will be forced to let someone or multiple other employees "go" to make up his shortfall.  Either outcome is poor.  Less money in the pocket of the average person, such as myself, so I eat in more which will further reduce the profits of the restaurant owner. Both of which leed to more unemployment.

Minimum wage mandates are a bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

To respond to FoubleDeed, err DoubleFeed, you can't raise a family on minimum wage.  Yes I know you're being facetious but you can't.  Yes w4klr, minimum wage sucks.  And you wonder why those kind of jobs have a high turnover rate?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Y'all keep in mind that Union wages are indexed to the minimum wage.  An increase in the minimum wage means a pay raise to Union workers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

IIRC w4klr, from your Walgreens pepper-spraying thread you're 19 right? And you make $45K plus?

Ho-lee-Shit!  Tell me where I can find this +$45K job man!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In Austin, it was VERY easy to live comfortably on $15/hr. What is the cost of living in your area that makes $15 too low?

$50 drug prescriiptions with insurance.

Heck, with insurance I'm running about $25k a year out of pocket.

Tell me how I could live on $21k takehome?  

Even factor out the excessive healthcare, given the cost of everything I really have no idea how folks could do it on $15 an hour even.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

IIRC w4klr, from your Walgreens pepper-spraying thread you're 19 right? And you make $45K plus?

Ho-lee-Shit!  Tell me where I can find this +$45K job man!

I got lucky when I started with the company, I started as an office helper, and I got to know HR procedures like the back of my hand, then corporate fired the last HR manager for stealing petty cash, and my boss put in a recommendation for me to boost up, since I also have college credits in Human Resources. The starting salary for HR management is in the high 40s
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#36]
MW is a joke. I almost think it is kept ridiculously low to keep pipelining people into the welfare system. We need to get all the illegal immigrants out of the country, keep them out, and then do away with MW. In short order we'd see more American workers able to afford to stand on their own two feet as lower end wages hit a more reasonable level.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Minimum wage is supposedly something you should be able to raise a family on. Don't you love democrats?

No, thats the living wage. Actually,when the minimum went up,they interviewed some woman somewhere working in a sub shop raising 6 kids on her minimum wage job,so some people DO fall into that category.I dunno how she could raise that many kids on minimum without a lot of other programs kicking in help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, thats the living wage. Actually,when the minimum went up,they interviewed some woman somewhere working in a sub shop raising 6 kids on her minimum wage job,so some people DO fall into that category.I dunno how she could raise that many kids on minimum without a lot of other programs kicking in help.

I really don't feel sorry for her.  Looks like she has made a habit out of making some really bad choices.  She has made at least 6 of them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

To respond to FoubleDeed, err DoubleFeed, you can't raise a family on minimum wage.  Yes I know you're being facetious but you can't.  Yes w4klr, minimum wage sucks.  And you wonder why those kind of jobs have a high turnover rate?

I know you can't. Everybody knows that. However, there are a contigent of Democrats who think you should be able to, and want it raised until that's possible.

I get it.  It shouldn't be possible.  A lot of people that work minimum wage jobs, in my experience, are kids my age or younger, and senior citizens.  They don't make a lot of money, and that's the point.  Again, you can't raise a family on that wages.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  There has to be some explanation somewhere.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.

I know you can't. Everybody knows that. However, there are a contigent of Democrats who think you should be able to, and want it raised until that's possible.

I get it.  It shouldn't be possible.  A lot of people that work minimum wage jobs, in my experience, are kids my age or younger, and senior citizens.  They don't make a lot of money, and that's the point.  Again, you can't raise a family on that wages.

The low wage or jobs that pay minimum wage are supose to be for teenagers who must start at the bottom to build work ethic and build employee-employer relations if you think that it is supose to suport you and your kids then you are an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Roofers here make 15$.  

High school grads who don't want to go to college. Most roofers I know are 20 or 30 something and are still single with no family to support. They do just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Because of the minimum wage, the cost of work is artificially inflated.  In otherwords, for a job you would otherwise get someone to do for X dollars once it is mandated that the person doing that job must be paid X+Y dollars, regardless of the fact that the person would have done it for less, the price of labor just went up.  And it went up through regulation, not through market forces - which is the way it is supposed to be.

So, yes, inevitably the cost of the good/service that employee is used to make/provide will rise, and the cost will be passed on to the consumer (i.e. the rest of us).   Or, the employer will be forced to let someone or multiple other employees "go" to make up his shortfall.  Either outcome is poor.  Less money in the pocket of the average person, such as myself, so I eat in more which will further reduce the profits of the restaurant owner. Both of which leed to more unemployment.

Minimum wage mandates are a bad thing.

VERY good post.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:12:57 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Y'all keep in mind that Union wages are indexed to the minimum wage.  An increase in the minimum wage means a pay raise to Union workers.

Not where I work.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not where I work.

I am sure there are some unions that aren't structured like that, but most are.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Chris Rock: "Minimum wage means, "If I could pay you less, I would."
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Hell most roofers work more then 40hrs a week.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:32:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I have worked for minimum wage before and I didn’t find it all that fun.  I was working through my senior year of high school for $3.33.  I got a pretty sweet raise a few months later to $5.25 thanks to Uncle Sugar and all of a sudden everything went up and it didn’t make a bit of difference, the numbers just got bigger.  I learned that being a bottom feeder is not the place to be so I went to college and got and AS in engineering.  I got a good job and last year I made 40K but I am still a bottom feeder in my industry and I am working hard to get off of the bottom by going to night school to get my BS and move up the ladder a bit more.  

Don’t give me any BS about how hard it is to make it on minimum wage, it is suppose to be hard that is why you do your job well and get promoted or get experience and move on to a more lucrative job.  Money really has nothing to do with it though.  Life is a very hard thing when one is stupid.  If you are making MW, live within your means and don’t start cranking out kids, don’t create unnecessary bills.  MW is low to make people work harder to make more money so that they can live more comfortably not live high on the hog.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Austin, it was VERY easy to live comfortably on $15/hr. What is the cost of living in your area that makes $15 too low?

$50 drug prescriiptions with insurance.

Heck, with insurance I'm running about $25k a year out of pocket.

Tell me how I could live on $21k takehome?  

Even factor out the excessive healthcare, given the cost of everything I really have no idea how folks could do it on $15 an hour even.

You would live within your means is how.

I grossed $40K last year not counting what my wife made but her money is just spending money all the bills are paid out of my check.

After Uncle Sugar ($7800), 401K ($5000+/-) and Ins. ($1800) I brought home about $24K.  Not great but I am working on making more BUT I have a nice house, 1 SUV, 1 truck, 1 car, guns and other toys that I could do without and I am not over extended.  Could I afford to live in NYC nope, would I want to, nope.  Columbus is a good place to get started (crappy politics aside).  I left a great town to come here because that great town had no jobs paying more than $9/hr.  For the money I make here could live at least 50% better there because property values and taxes are so much less.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top