Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:37 AM EDT
I bought a new 120 gig ATA HDD to replace my old 60 gig ATA HDD (both Seagate) in my Dell 8400. The 120 gig HDD is slave and must stay slave because of the cable layout. For some reason when I boot up my computer the BIOS does not recognise the 120 gig HDD or my DVD-RW (master). Take off the HDD and the bios recognises the DVD-RW no problem. Now here is the odd part, windows XP recognises both of them! How can I get my BIOS to see the HDD and the DVD-RW?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought a new 120 gig ATA HDD to replace my old 60 gig ATA HDD (both Seagate) in my Dell 8400. The 120 gig HDD is slave and must stay slave because of the cable layout. For some reason when I boot up my computer the BIOS does not recognise the 120 gig HDD or my DVD-RW (master). Take off the HDD and the bios recognises the DVD-RW no problem. Now here is the odd part, windows XP recognises both of them! How can I get my BIOS to see the HDD and the DVD-RW?

Do you have the jumpers on the back of the new hard drive set up for slave as well?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, sounds like you need to set the jumpers on the CD/DVD and new HD both to CS or to the proper master/slave setup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
cable select on both = NO work
Master DVD-RW and SLAVE HDD = NO work
Master HDD and SLAVE DVD-RW = working but case open and cant close it

Why would and old HDD work being slave and a newer one not?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The cable layout has nothing to do with master/slave designations, unless your actually using a cable-select cable. It sounds like the drives are jumpered wrong.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Check your jumpers!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#6]
yup sounds like you have a dell i knew it......... you need to go into the bios  and setup both drives.     but it on auto.    it will identify the drives as long as you have the jumpers right.    from the box the jumper was correct.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy a new longer cable for $4.99, make them both master, one on each channel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
cable select on both = NO work
Master DVD-RW and SLAVE HDD = NO work
Master HDD and SLAVE DVD-RW = working but case open and cant close it

Why would and old HDD work being slave and a newer one not?

Depends on the BIOS.  In better news though, you can get significantly longer IDE cables.  IM if you need some sources.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You using a standard old style cable or the newer 66/100 style (with the blue/black connectors)?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#10]
New style (ATA 80 cable)

I am positive the jumpers are correct, besides if it was CS then it wouldnt matter would it.

Using Master and Slave jumpers on the devices, NOT cable select:
When I go into the BIOS it does not recognise the HDD or DVD when HDD is Master and DVD is slave (it says UNKNOWN PATA-0 and UNKNOWN PATA-1), but when HDD is master and DVD slave everyting is fine.

BTW I cant have 2 IDE ribbon cables, my mainboard only has one slot, the rest are SATA.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
New style (ATA 80 cable)

I am positive the jumpers are correct, besides if it was CS then it wouldnt matter would it.

Using Master and Slave jumpers on the devices, NOT cable select:
When I go into the BIOS it does not recognise the HDD or DVD when HDD is Master and DVD is slave (it says UNKNOWN PATA-0 and UNKNOWN PATA-1), but when HDD is master and DVD slave everyting is fine.

BTW I cant have 2 IDE ribbon cables, my mainboard only has one slot, the rest are SATA.

So get one longer IDE cable, thne set your HDD to Master, your DVD to slave.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The cable layout has nothing to do with master/slave designations, unless your actually using a cable-select cable. It sounds like the drives are jumpered wrong.

+1

NEVER USE CABLE SELECT. Get a longer cable if the cable you have is to short, better yet get 2 cables and put the drives on different IDE channels.

If cable select jumpers are set for either drive remove them.

Then make the hard drive the master and the DVD writer the slave. The hard drive should be the master… things are more likely to work better that way and making the DVD writer the master could possibly slow down the hard drive. On some computers the IDE devices on one channel will work at IDE speed/mode of the slowest drive if that drive it is set as master.

The better solution is to put the DVD writer on the secondary IDE channel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as the jumpers are set to master and slave, the drive's position on the cable does not matter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
As long as the jumpers are set to master and slave, the drive's position on the cable does not matter.

It will if cable select is also selected on the drives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#16]
well its working now (new cable) but only if the HDD is master and DVD is slave, very odd if you ask me.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
well its working now (new cable) but only if the HDD is master and DVD is slave, very odd if you ask me.

Thanks guys!

Not really. Some (early, shoddy) BIOS require the removable media to be on the secondary chain as a slave.

In other news, I'm kind of shocked nobody suggested getting a couple ATA->SATA converters for $10 each and forgoing the whole problem. Put the hard drives on SATA and leave the burner on ATA and away you go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Not really. Some (early, shoddy) BIOS require the removable media to be on the secondary chain as a slave.

In other news, I'm kind of shocked nobody suggested getting a couple ATA->SATA converters for $10 each and forgoing the whole problem. Put the hard drives on SATA and leave the burner on ATA and away you go.

Cause it's 20 dollars cheaper to fix it properly?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

My old 60gig worked fine, but the new 120 gig freaks out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

The proper solution would have been to buy the new hard drive as SATA. I guess your "solution" passes for Canadian values of proper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

The proper solution would have been to buy the new hard drive as SATA. I guess your "solution" passes for Canadian values of proper.

It's funny because I'm Canadian.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

It's funny because I'm Canadian.

I think he wanted as little expense as possible. The cable was the least expensive solution. It's just too bad it's a proprietary Dell with only one EIDE slot, or he could run both hard drives cheaply.

That's why I always roll my own. You can upgrade with industry standard parts. A standard quality motherboard will almost always have TWO IDE slots. And these days, at least 2 or 4 SATA channels as well.

Oh well we all have to work with what we have.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top