Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 1:30:46 AM EDT
I gave up on going to bed. I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection and emerging pneumonia, and I'm puking my guts out about once an hour. Last time, I felt a little furry ring start to come up. I swallowed real quick 'cause I was afraid it was my azzhole.

Is it better to drink fluids to have something to puke, or just dry heave?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:47:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Graduated increases of water / gatorade.  If you're not going to stick yourself & hang fluids then you should start off with sips - wait 30 minutes - then mouthfuls - wait - then gulps, half glasses, & so on.

ETA: If emesis occurs during the process, go one step back.   You need to hydrate.

ETA x2: & of course it doesn't have to be water or gatorade - 7 up will be just fine  

I hung a bag around 2:00 then capped with a saline lock. Just thinking of wretching comfort at this point.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:58:16 AM EDT
[#4]
All the popular gals know that induced vomitting is the only way to go.

Dry heaving bites.  I recall the last time I was really drunk I kept dry heaving for about 12 hours straight.  My older brother forced a can of sprite and some crackers down my face.  I was puking out my nose within a few minutes but I felt a heck of a lot better afterward.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're puking that often, I'd suggest having something in your stomach to come up. It's REALLY no fun to have undiluted stomach acid try to come up...Water, 7Up whatever...get something in there man.

This of course is beside the fact that you REALLY need to hydrate heavily when you're puking all the time...even if you don't feel like it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Having just been through seven months of morning sickness, I have some experience here.

If you gotta puke, let it happen.  It helps to take two calcium-based antacids (like Tums) first to neutralize the stomach acid so that at least what comes back up doesn't burn your throat and nose.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Id drink something myself.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I would just stick to water.

I have been in the same situation before.  I spent 8 hours doing it.  It got to the point where I was puking cold clear water.  

Nothing is worse that puking stomach acid, followed closely by dry heaving.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Drink,

Dry heaving SUCKS!!!

Pops the veins in your eyeballs!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, you've taken care of the hydration so I definately say drink something so that you aren't dry heaving.  That is one of the worst things I've been through.  Plus having your wtomach acids come up your esophagus is not exactly good for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Water....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
ginger ale (a little on the flat side) seems to be reasonably well tolerated on a bad stomach. Canada Dry, not Seagrams.

you could sip it (and try not to puke) or just drink enough glasses of it that it dilutes & removes most of the yucko stuff (after a couple of technicolor yawns)

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Or you could call your doc and have him write for som Phenergan or Compazine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Drink Water.......does not feel so bad coming back up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Might try Bitters.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Drink up.

Hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Or you could call your doc and have him write for som Phenergan or Compazine.

+1,or call a friend and have him snag some off one of the rigs.  i always have a few doses at home in case needed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Might try Bitters.

That would taste really good coming back up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I gave up on going to bed. I'm on antibiotics for a sinus infection and emerging pneumonia, and I'm puking my guts out about once an hour. Last time, I felt a little furry ring start to come up. I swallowed real quick 'cause I was afraid it was my azzhole.

Is it better to drink fluids to have something to puke, or just dry heave?

I always forced water in so I would have at least something to dissipate that bile/acid/whatever the hell that yello shit is,  gotta cut it down as far as possible.

dry heaves suck diddly uck flanders.

get well soon man.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Might try Bitters.

Damn, I'll admit it, I'm scared.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#21]
when I had morning sickness for months on end with my son, my best friend was Ovaltine...  (plain chocolate - not the malted kind...)  cold chocolate milk coming back up sounds gross - looks gross, too - but it's still cool on your throat and doesn't taste bitter...  plus, the milk helps coat what the previously hurled stomach acid is burning...

I still love Ovaltine...  

ETA:  I sure hope you feel better soon, Tommy...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll add to the chorus of drink something... water, hydralyte, gatorade, 7-up.  The milk coating effect can help, and the antacid suggestion seems valid also.

Take care, hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Eat dry saltine crackers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Let the 7-up go mostly flat (stir it and let it sit for a while, or pour it warm into a tall glass then add ice, etc.).  Then drink it, and eat a small amount of saltine crackers.

Letting the 7-up go flat makes it less irritating to your stomach, so it won't be as likely to set you off.  And, if/when it does come back up, the flat 7-up doesn't add to the irritation of your esophagus.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Yoiu have to get something in you,even if you "see it again",because you are dehydrating yourself. take things slow,sip it, suck on shards of ice if thats all you can do,but hydrate hydrate hydrate!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top