Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 9:21:27 PM EDT
I was wondering if anybody here is one or know one and how they got into it cause I graduated in 05 and the school I looked at said you have too have 2 years of either full time job or school and I don't know if I want too wait that long.  And also do you know if they got to chose where they worked or not.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Norfolk Southern trains them in McDonough, GA. They train LOTS of people for conductor and engineer. Many go to the other railraods after getting the Norfolk Southen training. All the railroads have schools.

Check www.'railroadnameof choice'.com

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty much done by computer now days.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I thought it was all ball bearings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
There has been an add in the Columbus Dispatch a few times lately. Conductors, no experience necessary.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Norfolk Southern will hire you right out of high school.  All you have to do is make it through the process and pass a drug test and they will send you to school.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There is plenty of classroom and hands-on time involved along with stimulator simulator training.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:44:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Apply for a Job at a company called Loram Maintenance of way as a Railroad machine operator in early spring that’s when they hire. I worked for this company for about 2 years this company opens the doors to a lot of Railroad jobs. The pay sucks at first but you move up fast I hope you like working 100 hour weeks and never being at home.  I have known a lot of people who got jobs as conductors, engineers and maintenance of way through this company. Tough work but they teach you things that the railroads want
Like: Track safety, Proper FCC radio communications, DOT cert, signals, flagging, your limit’s, how to do brake checks, Fire fighting, how to drive a train, how to be a look out, how to get off a moving train- hell they will teach you every thing about the railroad. And you spend a lot of time talking with engineers and conductors from different railroads so you can find out where the good jobs are.

Some of the Conductors I have met like their job some hate it The Railroads have a lot of hard A$$ bosses working for them every one is working under stress and they like to give you a lot of crap. Then you have to learn how to deal with the Railroad Police, the Fed Railroad Police, Yard Rail road Police, Fed Railroad inspectors and NTSB and if you do any thing wrong they will give you a very Hard Time.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And also do you know if they got to chose where they worked or not.  Thanks.

They give all of the new people the Crappy jobs at first The jobs that no one wants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top