Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 8:31:21 PM EDT
There's probably not too may arfcom hockey players out there, but just in case I'll ask.  Its between a Easton synergy stealth and a Reebok 7K one piece stick.  I like the curve on the Rbk much better, the new synergys have some wierd blades.  At around $200 for a new stick I'd be interested for any input.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd honestly just go for a shaft and buy separate and similar blades. Break an expensive one piece out of the warranty and you're down $200. That or go wood
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've considered using shafts, but I think a one piece shoots better and feels better.  I'm definately no pro, but you only live once, so go with the good stuff.  Besides I just got my fantasy football winnings in and that money is just burning a hole.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've considered using shafts, but I think a one piece shoots better and feels better.  I'm definately no pro, but you only live once, so go with the good stuff.  Besides I just got my fantasy football winnings in and that money is just burning a hole.

In that case, there's no reason not to get the Reebok. Finding a curvature you like is key to passing and shooting with consistency. Find the curvature that suits you best. However, don't just get a one piece because it's the cool new thing. I used wood sticks until they discontinued the model I liked best. I then just got a one piece shaft and bought a ton of blades with a similar feel. I just have a bias toward wood, to me it's a much better feel. Once again, all personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used a synergy for awhile. One whole year till the blade broke then another year with putting the narrow style blades into the cut-off synergy.  But those blades aren't cheap and don't hold up the best either.   I would just like to have someone say they have used a 7k and it has held up well.  I loved the durability of the synergy but those new funky blades and lies turn me off.  I would just hate to spend the jing on the 7k and a month from now feel like I pissed it away.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used a synergy now for several years. I buy new stuff as they come out but I havent found any as good as the old synergy yet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Easton Synergy is the best stick ever made. Period.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What are your team mates using?

Neither of the two.  Nobody uses the stealth yet, several synergys, but the Rbk is new to our arena/pro shop.  

Does anyone know how far a lie angle of 5.0 to 5.5 to 6 changes how far out the puck is from your body?  I could use the Forsberg curve stealth but it has the lowest lie angle at 5.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have used a synergy now for several years. I buy new stuff as they come out but I havent found any as good as the old synergy yet.

I miss the Yzerman curve.  The curve is a tad large but that is exactly what I want, a nice mid curved stick, no open or heel curve stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Christian wood / 2 when I used to play.

operator out....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anybody have an extra set of skates. I am 31 and I  want to learn how to skate so I can play hockey.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I play goalie, against some former semi pro and college players and random "A" leaguers, and of all the new sticks I've seen shooting against me, the new Bauer XXX is by far the best forward stick I play against.

Same players, new sticks.  And a big difference.  I saw the difference when the one pieces started coming out,  the shots had a lot more behind them, and they came off of the stick different than wood sticks, or the two piece sticks.  Two of the guys just switched sticks within the last few weeks.  Both played before on synergys. One went to an RBK, and one to the Bauer xxx.  The RBK stick actually softened the guys shot.  It was easier to see coming off of the stick, didn't curve or move, and was easy saves.  This guy usually burns me for a few during our games, but the shots were a lot easier.  He switched back to the synergy towards the end of the game, and his shot came back.

The other guy bought one of the new Bauer XXX's.  The shot came off of the stick faster, was harder to see coming off of the stick, and was a lot faster.  I was much more impressed with the Bauer.  I asked to see the new sticks in the locker room and was amazed at the lack of weight of the Bauer.  It weighed nothing.

As a goalie, I'd suggest you get the RBK, but that's cause I don't want to get burned by more of the Bauers
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont know how you play goal dude. Its probably the roughest position to play.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't skate when I started playing, so they put me in net.  I learned to skate while playing.  Been at it 11 years or so now.  

Besides, people always think goalies are the crazy ones, let's think about it.

1) goalies wear the masks that cover full face and head.  I've seen more forwards loose teeth in one season than I have ever seen goalies loose in all my years of playing.

2) We are wearing nearly 50 pounds  of protective equipment all facing in the direction that the puck is coming from.  

3) Have you seen the size of the cups that goalies wear?

4) They give us bigger sticks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I play goalie, against some former semi pro and college players and random "A" leaguers, and of all the new sticks I've seen shooting against me, the new Bauer XXX is by far the best forward stick I play against.

Same players, new sticks.  And a big difference.  I saw the difference when the one pieces started coming out,  the shots had a lot more behind them, and they came off of the stick different than wood sticks, or the two piece sticks.  Two of the guys just switched sticks within the last few weeks.  Both played before on synergys. One went to an RBK, and one to the Bauer xxx.  The RBK stick actually softened the guys shot.  It was easier to see coming off of the stick, didn't curve or move, and was easy saves.  This guy usually burns me for a few during our games, but the shots were a lot easier.  He switched back to the synergy towards the end of the game, and his shot came back.

The other guy bought one of the new Bauer XXX's.  The shot came off of the stick faster, was harder to see coming off of the stick, and was a lot faster.  I was much more impressed with the Bauer.  I asked to see the new sticks in the locker room and was amazed at the lack of weight of the Bauer.  It weighed nothing.

As a goalie, I'd suggest you get the RBK, but that's cause I don't want to get burned by more of the Bauers

The Bauers are good sticks, but I don't like the lack of weight to them, they don't feel right to me, although if they made you notice that much of a difference... maybe it's something I could get used to. One piece is the way to go anyway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I am thankful for the creation of the one piece stick though, I have a lot fewer stick blades flying at me.  Nothing like making the save on a loose blade while the puck never moved.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Old Skool... Northland!

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Old Skool... Northland!

Aviator

Ahh the classics.  Bonus points for anyone who still owns a Chimo stick!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I miss the Yzerman curve.  The curve is a tad large but that is exactly what I want, a nice mid curved stick, no open or heel curve stuff.

Thats what I use most of the time.  Sakics curve is acceptable too.  But beginners like the Drury types of curve. I hated it.  Made my shot even worse then it is!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#20]
my roommate works for the dallas stars, managing equipment sales.  as he gets all his stuff for free, he has tried virtually everything.  but he always comes back to the synergy.  he recently convinced another buddy of mine, who plays for UNT's club team, to try the synergy.  after one game, the guy reviewed the stick as follows:

"why haven't i been playing with this before?"

he has 4 hatters already this season.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my Synergy. I have a Z-bubble too but it feels unbalanced and heavier than the Synergy. I have a bunch of sticks but the Synergy is great. I have more goals on the Z-bubble though- IMHO it's better for slap shots, whereas the Synergy is WAY better for wristers.

Anyone try the Warrior hockey sticks? I see they even convinced Shanahan to switch (he liked aluminum sticks, even had a HUGE run of them made based on the average # he breaks/tweaks (and I've seen his sticks before; he really wrenches them) but he still switched.)

BTW they have a "Dolomite" stick. I thought I'd put that out there in the .00000000000023% chance our member Dolomite is reading this thread.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I use most of the time.  Sakics curve is acceptable too.  But beginners like the Drury types of curve. I hated it.  Made my shot even worse then it is!  

The commercial Lidstrom curve (I need a bit of loft in my hockey sticks!) is what I use. Perfect for wrist shots, and doesn't shoot it over everyone's head on slappers.

His actual NHL sticks are way different though. Dunno why.

Wierdest curve on an NHL stick I've seen is Al McGinnis... I don't know how to describe it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I am old-new school. To be honest I kind of stopped watching hockey a few years back and didn't even know Reebok made hockey stuff until a few weeks ago. But I still use my Easton Z-Bubble shaft and switch out the blades. That way I can just bust out the heat gun and curve the blade how I want it and if I fuck up it only costs me $25 for a new blade
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I cut my sticks down so short (middle of my chest when on skates), I have a hard time with those single piece sticks and them not making them with enough whip so that after I get done cutting 1/3 of them off, there is still some action.

I was using intermediate cyclones, but they changed them and were snapping like no other. So I am using Hespler shafts now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I cut my sticks down so short (middle of my chest when on skates), I have a hard time with those single piece sticks and them not making them with enough whip so that after I get done cutting 1/3 of them off, there is still some action.

I was using intermediate cyclones, but they changed them and were snapping like no other. So I am using Hespler shafts now.

Wow!

You're not much on poke checking, are you!  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!

My lightning fast speed and hands like butter make up for it, and the fact that I am only 5 foot 5...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow!

My lightning fast speed and hands like butter make up for it, and the fact that I am only 5 foot 5...

Go go one full fist below my chin.  Any more and you are going to be having back issues in a couple of years.  

I use CCM Vector sticks.  I've tried the following:  Stealth, Synergy, Syn Si-Core, Response, and one of those Mission sticks.  Of all the ones, I always come back to the Vectors.  Total, I have 9 Vectors.   Usually depends on the team I'm playing against.  Am I going to be low or high in the slot, am I going to be taking shots inside or outside, what is this goalie like, etc.

IMHO, the CCM Vector 130 is the best you can get.  Get a stiff shaft with wither a Thorton or Recci blade.  Sick wristers, great slappers, wicked backhands, and great puck protection with control.  

Next would have to go to the orange probe aka the Easton Si-Core.  Great feel to it.   Usually on one piece composites, you have very little puck "feel" on the blade, but the Si-Core takes care of that.   I'm not a huge fan of Eastons blades on their sticks.  They always seem just a tad too thick.  Then the only reason I stay away from the Synergy's is I've seen too many break.  My one line, my wingers both used the yellow gripped ones.  Both broke within 2 games.  Sent back, got new ones, same thing.  

Then it's a tie between the Mission and the Response.  Neither one is that special.

I stay away from shafts and blades simply because of how I shoot most of the time.  Too much stess right where the two meet.  Resulted in countless cracked blades and split shafts.  Thats when I started on one pieces.

Of the 14 Vectors I've owned, I've only had 2 actually break.  The others have just weakened to the point that I need a new one to get better (stiffer) flex, thus a faster shot.  

I have yet to try a Rbk stick.  I came fairly close to getting a pair of the skates, but opted against it.  If you buy a Rbk stick, you  are supporting Sidney Crosby, so I say go for it!  Best thing I can tell you to do is to find someone that has one and asked to use it briefly.  If you like it, buy it.  

Just remember this.  There are only three pieces of equipment you absolutely CAN NOT skip out on.  1.  Helmet:  You only have one head.  Get a good, protective helmet and use it.  2.  Skates:  Its the only thing between you and the ice and its the only that makes you move.  Get whatever feels the best regardless of price.  If I found a pair of absolutely perfect fitting and feeling skates yet they costed $1k...I'd do it.  

3.  Stick.  The stick is the only thing that stands between you, the puck, and the goal.  If you don't have a good stick you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.  Examine your style of play.  If you are D-man, get a little bit longer stick with a straighter, heel curve and relate the flex to how strong you are.  If you are a finese center like me, get a nice curve pending on where you like to shoot.  I'm a roofer so I get the Jagr curve to give me added height on the fore-hand and a nice place to shoot off my backhand.  Not to mention the toe curve works very well when you need to get it high fast.  

Are the $200 Rbk sticks worth it...I dunno.  I have no experience with them but you are the only person who can determine the right stick for you.  I have a guy that absolutely can not use 1 piece composites, so he buys 20 wooden sticks at the beginning of the year.  Me, I like stiff flex and durability, so i use 1 pieces.  Its all up to you, you are the one thats going to be using it not everyone else.  If you need a stick soon and aren't sure...take the dive.  

If you have any questions for me go ahead and IM me.  I'm pretty into hockey as you can tell.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
There's probably not too may arfcom hockey players out there, but just in case I'll ask.  Its between a Easton synergy stealth and a Reebok 7K one piece stick.  I like the curve on the Rbk much better, the new synergys have some wierd blades.  At around $200 for a new stick I'd be interested for any input.

Don't forget, there are numerous blade patterns.  Don't make the mistake of confining yourself to whats "at the pro shop" if its not exactly what you want.  Check the Rbk and Easton websites for a curve/pattern chart.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#29]
A late toe curve is what I look for...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an Easton Z-bubble and an Easton Synergy.  I love the Synergy, but I have found myself using the Z-Bubble more because I like the blade better (it is a Leetch model blade which they have stopped making).  In my experience, the Synergy's have not had wierd blades, but that is really personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Go go one full fist below my chin. Any more and you are going to be having back issues in a couple of years.

Jeez. Back in the day I did chin for my sticks. I played D though, so poke checking was a critical need. That extra length can be handy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go go one full fist below my chin. Any more and you are going to be having back issues in a couple of years.

Jeez. Back in the day I did chin for my sticks. I played D though, so poke checking was a critical need. That extra length can be handy.

I like mine to hit my chin while on my tip toes (when not in skates). I'm 6'4" so I have to get longer plugs.

My buddy that got me in to hockey doesn't look strong but he hits the puck a ton... I have had some serious bruises from playing Tomas Holmstrom for him.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Am still using my 1st gen Synergy. Ruined the blade a few months into it, and Easton wouldn't  honor the warranty (was out of by 2 1/2 weeks). Have been using the hybrid lami's (Sakic cut) as the replacement, since they no longer make the T-flex blades (which was a great replacement for the Synergy blade until the lami's).

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Go go one full fist below my chin. Any more and you are going to be having back issues in a couple of years...

My Dino Ciccarelli style of play allows me to rest my back....On the D's back in front of the crease...My fake teeth and scared chin prove I got plenty/ get plenty of rest...Not so much anymore since it is not so "competitive" any more...Older (34), slower...etc...I figured I would slow down, give the young draftable guys a chance to play more
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Go go one full fist below my chin. Any more and you are going to be having back issues in a couple of years...

My Dino Ciccarelli style of play allows me to rest my back....On the D's back in front of the crease...My fake teeth and scared chin prove I got plenty/ get plenty of rest...Not so much anymore since it is not so "competitive" any more...Older (34), slower...etc...I figured I would slow down, give the young draftable guys a chance to play more

Beofre I broke my tibea, I played 10 games and posted 37 points including 20 goals.  I'm fairly fast, not the best stickhandler, a great passer, and I have a snipers shot.  I talked with a few AHL and ECHL teams about a try-out for the beginning of next season but after my leg...I honestly don't think its going to happen.  One of my best traits was my conditioning and I've lost practically all of it.  My best feature is positioning.  I find the places that the puck goes it and I bang it home.  

I also like full ice rushes
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Stick.. warrantee??

Man, I've been out of hockey too long.  My current stick is an old blue Easton aluminum with all the paint rubbed off so I can't see what model it was.  Leave some wood chips inside the shaft from the last time you had to drill out a broken blade, to give it that nice aluminum baseball bat sound when make a big shot from the point.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Easton Synergy is the best stick ever made. Period.

I second this motion! Our junior A team has had some crack problems with them though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I went a totally different way from what I had planned.  I picked up a Bauer XXX Naslund stick.  The guy at the store talked it up a bunch, and I liked how it felt so I bought it.

I've only used it once so far but here are my brief initial Amateur  (C league) findings.
It shoots nice, good velocity and goes where I expect,  But... It feels like what everybody complains about one piece sticks.  I have no feeling of the puck on the blade, I feel it all in the shaft.  When I first went one piece with Synergy a couple years ago I didn't really notice a difference of loosing feel, but I notice it now.  

Not that it matters but the sound is wierd also.  A regular mid-speed pass hits the blade and sounds like I'm a goalie deflecting 100 mph slapshots with it.  No big deal, I just thought that was kind of funny.

But like I said I only used it once so far.  I've got practice tommorrow so I should be able to experiment fully with it.  Thanks for everyones posts, I halfway expected no response, its good to see we've got some hockey fans here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#39]
The issue of feeing the puck is something a lot of guys I know complained about as well. I uses a little heavier than most stick and blade. I like to know that I have the puck.

Most of the guys I play with buy them out of trunks of cars, they are way cheaper, but they are stamped "No Warranty".

Or the guys try and walk out of the store with two receipts from a single stick purchase, one for them and one for their buddy who didn't buy his one way or another.

I was using the heck out of the tri-cores, that WAS a good shaft, they stiffened them up to a point where I couldnt use them anymore and I went to an Intermediate shaft and it snapped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top