Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
I was thinking here... and from how the law reads a winchester 1897 is a machinegun. A machine gun fires more than one round per action of the trigger. Well on an 1897 you can pull the trigger and while holding the trigger back pump the slide and when the bolt locks another round will fire. There was only one action of the trigger but 2 or more rounds can be fired.

So is the action of the trigger mean the actuial trigger or that the trigger would be the action of the pump?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#1]
NO!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was thinking here... and from how the law reads a winchester 1897 is a machinegun. A machine gun fires more than one round per action of the trigger. Well on an 1897 you can pull the trigger and while holding the trigger back pump the slide and when the bolt locks another round will fire. There was only one action of the trigger but 2 or more rounds can be fired.

So is the action of the trigger mean the actuial trigger or that the trigger would be the action of the pump?

I dont think it would ever be classified that way. Ithaca shotguns are the same way, as well as most of the older 22 pump rifles.

ETA: grrrr post 223 wasted on this!.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont think it would ever be classified that way. Ithaca shotguns are the same way, as well as most of the older 22 pump rifles.

You mean I should buy an older pump action 22 rifle now to go along with the Win-97 and the Ithaca M-37?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No, since you have to work the pump for each shot.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
26 U.S.C. Sec. 5845 (b) Machinegun – The term “machine gun” means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

When you pump it, you are manual reloading.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes.

Send me all your 1897's and I will talk the ATF out of shooting your dog.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#7]
NO becouse it does not automaticl load and fire 2 or more rounds per function of the trigger.

"CLICK RACK BOOM RACK BOOM" does not = machine gun since your manualy loadng the second round.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It is fun though. Those auto triggers are fun as hell.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, there is a simple bent wire mod that you can do to a Mini-14 that allows it to fire one round when the trigger is pulled and another when the trigger is released. BATF issued a letter stating it was legal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
NO!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Rossi 22 Pump rifles are the same way ! My brother bought one at walmart as long as you hold the trigger down and pump it will fire
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top