Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
http://www.cleanfilms.com/sale.phtml

Is it legal to edit movies?

Yes. CleanFilms is a Co-operative rental club. All subscribers to our service become members of the Co-op. The Co-op collectively purchases original, unedited DVD movies then has them edited - always maintaining a 1 to 1 ratio of edited and non-edited originals.

As owners of the original, unedited movies, the Co-op has the right to edit out content that is objectionable to its members - similar to how you might press mute to avoid hearing objectionable language today. Accordingly, you must subscribe as a member of the rental club before you can rent edited movies.

Bottom line is they are taking commercial movies, modifying them, making copies of the modified version and distributing it. How is it that the MPAA is turning a blind eye to this while I can't even download an episode of a tv show I missed?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Do they have Deep Throat or Debbie Does Dallas?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what the answer is, but how is it any different than network TV (even cable), cutting out scenes and/or overdubbing the dialog?

FWIW, I hate watching bastardized/censored movies made more palatable for viewing audiences.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes. CleanFilms is a Co-operative rental club. All subscribers to our service become members of the Co-op. The Co-op collectively purchases original, unedited DVD movies then has them edited - always maintaining a 1 to 1 ratio of edited and non-edited originals.

As owners of the original, unedited movies, the Co-op has the right to edit out content that is objectionable to its members - similar to how you might press mute to avoid hearing objectionable language today. Accordingly, you must subscribe as a member of the rental club before you can rent edited movies.

Bottom line is they are taking commercial movies, modifying them, making copies of the modified version and distributing it. How is it that the MPAA is turning a blind eye to this while I can't even download an episode of a tv show I missed?

The MPAA stands for it because they pay, per copy, for everything that they make copies of.

So I want my son to be able to watch a war movie without haveing all of the cussing?  What of it?  He gets exposed to that enough on the schoolbus without having to have it in the house.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FWIW, I hate watching bastardized/censored movies made more palatable for viewing audiences.

The whole concept of censoring movies for TV is so completely retarded that it boggles my mind.

I remember seeing an episode of a cop show a few years back, where two detectives were trying to find the guy who had brutally beaten his pregnant wife to death.  When they called him an asshole, it was bleeped.

So apparently, our kids will be fine watching violent shows explicitly depicting the beating to death of pregnant women, as long as no foul language is used.  If you kid is mature enough to watch that kind of programming, they better be mature enough to hear the word "asshole"  - IMO.  Too many people are idiots, looking for simple solutions as substitutes for judgment.  Language is not the problem, context and meaning is.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet they are busy with Tarantino's films. Or anything with Samuel Jackson in it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The MPAA stands for it because they pay, per copy, for everything that they make copies of.

So I want my son to be able to watch a war movie without haveing all of the cussing?  What of it?  He gets exposed to that enough on the schoolbus without having to have it in the house.

so he's not mature enough to handle people swearing in the context of warfare but he can handle men being blown apart?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top