Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:39 PM EDT
Returned a gift to Dick's Sporting Goods... a new Leatherman Wave. I got on their website to make sure that they sold the Leatherman Surge (which is what I wanted). According to their site they did. Got to the store... they didn't Then I thought, "well, as long as they give me some sort of gift card that's only good for Dick's I can just order it online."

They give me Merchant Credit card (I think that's what it's called.). I walk out happy. Then I gte back to the house, jump on their site throw the Surge in the shopping cart along with some camping stuff. I get to the check-out and it asks me to put in the card number and pin number. I put the card number in but there is no pin number. I look on the back of the card... "Cannot be used ONLINE".

WTF!?!?! Dick's is Dick's, right? They're getting the money regardless of where their wares are bought from right?

So now I'm just hoping that the store by my house will either carry them or special order one so I can buy it in the store. How frickin lame.

[/rant off]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Returned a gift to Dick's Sporting Goods... a new Leatherman Wave. I got on their website to make sure that they sold the Leatherman Surge (which is what I wanted). According to their site they did. Got to the store... they didn't Then I thought, "well, as long as they give me some sort of gift card that's only good for Dick's I can just order it online."

They give me Merchant Credit card (I think that's what it's called.). I walk out happy. Then I gte back to the house, jump on their site throw the Surge in the shopping cart along with some camping stuff. I get to the check-out and it asks me to put in the card number and pin number. I put the card number in but there is no pin number. I look on the back of the card... "Cannot be used ONLINE".

WTF!?!?! Dick's is Dick's, right? They're getting the money regardless of where their wares are bought from right?

So now I'm just hoping that the store by my house will either carry them or special order one so I can buy it in the store. How frickin lame.

[/rant off]

why don't you get a real multi tool from a company that does't give your money to gun grabbing commies and get a Gerber?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[/rant off]

why don't you get a real multi tool from a company that does't give your money to gun grabbing commies and get a Gerber?

and get an inferior tool?  fuck that.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A SOG is NOT an inferior tool, any way you slice it. nor is a Gerber.

Tim Leatherman, OTOH, is a tool any way you look at him.

Fuck Leatherman.

SG
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The Original Leatherman was the best multitool out there,at least for me.Have no use for the current selection-not enough stuff,or too much MacGyver shit.AND,no longer made here.Plus,he's a weenie!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Dick's is also known for selling over priced WOLF ammo!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dick's is also known for selling over priced WOLF ammo!

They NEVER have ammo priced right.. It says one thing on the shelf, and rings up something else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This is inferior????  

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So they are dicks because you left the store without really knowing what you had?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So they are dicks because you left the store without really knowing what you had?

No they are dicks because they separate their online business from their "physical" store business. The way I see it they should be all encompassing... especially since their retail stores don't stock everything that is on their online stores.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I love Dick's Sporting Goods...well actually I love repeately using the $10 off a $25 purchase coupons that I find and print out.  There is nothing like a 40% discount on everything in the store!  I have noticed the website doesn't have items the stores have and the stores don't have a lot of what's one the website...but I just buy what they have when I'm there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#13]
When Dick's bought out Galyans (Indianapolis-based), they immediately cut back the variety of everything stocked.  The only good thing was the handgun sales when they eliminated them from the stores, but I missed that while travelling in Mexico.  

Then again, Galyans was sold for a reason and maybe Dick's will be more profitable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Original Leatherman was the best multitool out there,at least for me.Have no use for the current selection-not enough stuff,or too much MacGyver shit.AND,no longer made here.Plus,he's a weenie!  

Dunno about the politics, but I can vouch for the original leatherman.  Just as good as the Gerber I currently use, IMO.  They're all tools and they do what they're made to do.  Sometimes I even use a old Swiss Army "Camping" knife that my dad bought back in the '70's.  Works fine for my purposes.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:19:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
<SNIP>

Why does someone always have bring this crap up?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah.... I wasn't asking for a discussion on the pro's and con's of the tool and/or its competition. IMHO Leatherman makes the best multitool, which is why I buy them.

I guarantee everyone who spews that BS about buying something from a gungrabber company buys something else from another one. You can't avoid it in today's market to quit trying to sound like you do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Why does someone always have bring this crap up?

Some people find it hard not to stand up for what they believe?  Of course, others find it quite easy because they don't believe in anything unless it benefits them immediately.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I was at  a Dick's a few days ago and they had very little ammunition

No 223, ect
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When Dick's bought out Galyans (Indianapolis-based), they immediately cut back the variety of everything stocked.  The only good thing was the handgun sales when they eliminated them from the stores, but I missed that while travelling in Mexico.  

Then again, Galyans was sold for a reason and maybe Dick's will be more profitable.

Galyans was pretty much forced out by Dick's.

Dick's offered to buy Galyans.  Galyans said no.  Dick's built mega box stores, in many cases literally across the street from Galyans.  Then, there was more sporting goods stores than Indianapolis would support.  When Dick's announced they were going to build more stores, Galyans threw up the white flag.  They weren't big enough to compete.

It's ashame.  Galyans was cool.  Dick's is not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Gander Mtn, Cabelas and Bass Pro sell handguns.

Shop there.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Galyans was pretty much forced out by Dick's.

Dick's offered to buy Galyans.  Galyans said no.  Dick's built mega box stores, in many cases literally across the street from Galyans.  Then, there was more sporting goods stores than Indianapolis would support.  When Dick's announced they were going to build more stores, Galyans threw up the white flag.  They weren't big enough to compete.

It's ashame.  Galyans was cool.  Dick's is not.

Agreed.  The Dick's on the south side of I-465 (north side, on 82nd street) was only open a few months before it closed.  Some good deals when they closed the Dick's, but I missed most of them.

Overnight the Castleton Galyans Dick's dropped half of their models/styles of about everything.  Lately, however, they've begun to restock some good camping items and there's decent competition from Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I miss the Mountain Hardwear and Marmot...  The high end stuff.  

If you want a tennis racket or a soccer ball or a fitness mat, go to Dicks.

I was REALLY pissed off.  I found out that the Mountain Hardwear stuff all went for 75% off!  My God!  I could have bought it all and sold it on ebay for a profit!

But, Gander Mountain rules!!!  For hunting, fishing, shooting.  I heard there was going to be another on on the south side of Indianapolis?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't gone to Dicks since I was looking to buy my Springfield XD.  I went in there with a wallet full of cash and found out that they "don't carry handguns".  WTF?  So I went down the street to Gander and dropped $450 there instead.  This Christmas I wanted a 10/22, but Dick's was the only one with them on sale so my crafty wife went to Scheel's and had them match the price since I didn't want her going to Dick's.  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Shop there.

Try buying someting on the Gander Mountain website.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I just recently bought a handgun from Cabelas. They had a $30.00 off Club members. They also werent able to aquire the 7.62x39 when I needed it, so they refunded the last club discount I used on ammo which was $50.00.

So here I have $80.00 to take off ammo? Nuh-Uh. So heres this nice 45 acp. Thank you Ill take it. Go to the customer service to process the purchase with the discount, and what do they ask me? "Do you want to use your points, Sir?" Hows that work? "Well, you have 13 points from your last purchase. Thats $13.00 we can also take off the price." At this point Im grinning heavily. Sure, why not.

Moral of the story: Know your options before you go into the store and use them to your best advantage on that day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I miss the Mountain Hardwear and Marmot...  The high end stuff.  

If you want a tennis racket or a soccer ball or a fitness mat, go to Dicks.

I was REALLY pissed off.  I found out that the Mountain Hardwear stuff all went for 75% off!  My God!  I could have bought it all and sold it on ebay for a profit!

But, Gander Mountain rules!!!  For hunting, fishing, shooting.  I heard there was going to be another on on the south side of Indianapolis?

Check out "Extreme Outfitters" in Carmel.
Pretty cool and they carry the Snow Peak Titanium cookware and stuff.
They also carry Mountain Hardware and other high-end items, as well.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#28]
They do live-up to their name.  I haven't been back since I went with my great-nephew when he bought a rifle.  He bought it, but they wouldn't let him have it.  They told him to come back in two weeks when the guy that knew how to fill-out the paperwork was going to be back from vacation.  After he asked for his money back the girl told him there would be a 25% restocking fee since he also bought something that had a group discount on the same receipt.  He paid for a couple of basketballs and jerseys for his church basketball team at their discount price.  They weren't going to have to restock anything since he never had it for them to restock.  He ended-up having to fight them for the $50 with his credit card company.  It's unbelievable the crap companies try to get away with now.z
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shop there.

Try buying someting on the Gander Mountain website.  

I remember getting GM catalogs when I was a kid. Too bad they dropped 'em.
GM and Sportsman's Warehouse need online shopping!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah.... I wasn't asking for a discussion on the pro's and con's of the tool and/or its competition. IMHO Leatherman makes the best multitool, which is why I buy them.

I guarantee everyone who spews that BS about buying something from a gungrabber company buys something else from another one. You can't avoid it in today's market to quit trying to sound like you do.

You can have some principle at at least try instead of just giving up entirely. Buy comparable (or better products, I didn't like Leatherman before I found out about his stance) when you have the option.  I understand about having to pick and choose your battles, or you'd be walking around nearly naked with almost nothing.

And at least now you know to ask a store if you can use a gift card/gift certificate/rain check/store credit/whatever on their website, or just their brick and mortar stores.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#31]
we have had so-so experiences at the the Dicks here, but i think we are about done with them

a friend of mine who is dating a shooter wanted to buy him some ammo for Christmas--shes a noob and still not very into shooting, so, on hubby's advice i took her to Dick's to buy a few boxes of ammo for her BF's AK

the service was awful--the first person we asked didnt know what 7.62 was and the second was just plain old rude

we also waited in line for at least 15 minutes--there were only 2 out of 10 registers open, two weeks before Christmas  

told hubby about the experience and he said we prolly wont be back

of course hes bent about prices about everywhere else...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]

The south side Gander Mountain is located near I65 at County Line road (exit 101).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
You can have some principle at at least try instead of just giving up entirely. Buy comparable (or better products, I didn't like Leatherman before I found out about his stance) when you have the option.  I understand about having to pick and choose your battles, or you'd be walking around nearly naked with almost nothing.

He's just more vocal about his stance. Imagine how many products you buy every day made by companies that do or don't that support the anti-gun agenda but don't run around telling everyone.

I'm not giving up entirely... I'm just accepting that balance that goes on behind the scenes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top