Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:49:32 PM EDT
Looking into taking a carbine class sometime in March/April.  The class suggests 1,000 rds of ammo for the carbine and 100 for the pistol.  But do you think they would care if I brought more?  

Never taken a formal training class before and didn't know if most instructors are pretty cool about letting students bring more ammo to practice with after class is done...  

EPOCH

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
bring as much as you want....just means you can shoot more and you wont be like scrooge with your ammo.  Some classes even have you eject live rounds on the ground and the people with bare min. of ammo will be bitching the entire time about it
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
They may or may not let you do any solo shooting depending on whose range it is. Bring extra just in case,I always have,although any opportunity for extra shooting has  usually been minimal.The one exception I can think of was my basic instructors course when we had a part of one day where we did a fun gun shoot where everyone brought any gun they wanted to let everyone else shoot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Always bring extra ammo. I've always shot more than the minimum amount, and it would suck to run short on the last day and have to sit it out.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never been to a formal course where there was any time (or energy!) left for additional shooting.

That said, there's nothing more useless then ammo left at home. They aren't going to care if you bring it. But there may not be any opportunity to use it.

Don't forget to bring backup weapons. Nothing worse than paying big bucks and travelling far away for a course and having to dick around with a broken weapon.

What school are you going to?

aa
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Won't hurt to bring extra ammo.

At Thunder Ranch, there was no "after class" shooting.  None allowed.

But during the drills, the instructor would say, "Shoot at least two to the head, two or three to the body."  Those that brought only the minimum shot 4 rounds.  Those of us with lots of ammo shot 5 or 6 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What school are you going to?

aa

Looking at Tiger Valley's level I Carbine Class

Just trying to put together a mental list of what all I will need to bring...  Getting pretty long already

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Bring extra ammo.

At Defensive Edge carbine courses, I've heard the instructor say more than once. "Anyone want to try that again?"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the instructor.  Some underestimate and others are pretty much on.  At Gunsite, we shot a bit below the estimated amount.  With Jeff Gonzales, we went over by a few hundred.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I've found Jeff's classes to be VERY ammo intensive
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope to attend a Patrol Carbine class this year.    

You bet your backside, I'm bringing extra ammo.  I'll have an extra carbine, incase something breaks.  [cross fingers, that doesn't happen]  

Bring more than you need.  If someone runs low, you could make new friends.  Some maybe of the female gender.    

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've found Jeff's classes to be VERY ammo intensive

+2, I had to buy extra ammo at one of his pistol courses. Fantastic training!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Depends on the instructor.  Some underestimate and others are pretty much on.  At Gunsite, we shot a bit below the estimated amount.  With Jeff Gonzales, we went over by a few hundred.

I keep running over the alotted amount at Gunsite. Course, I really like NSRs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I keep running over the alotted amount at Gunsite. Course, I really like NSRs.

Should have clarified...it was the PR1 class and we didn't get to fire NSRs.  Would have been fun trying tho <G>
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top