Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 2:45:51 PM EDT
So I am thinking about getting a DVD recorder.  I want to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD (for personal use) so I can put the VCR away in the crawlspace.

Any tips or suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Get one that has a VCR built into it and copies to the DVD.

You can go it with PC but it is time consuming.

If the tapes that you want to copy are protected (movies) it is not that easy.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
So I am thinking about getting a DVD recorder.  I want to copy my old VHS tapes to DVD (for personal use) so I can put the VCR away in the crawlspace.

Any tips or suggestions?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]

I bought a Lite-On LVW1101-HCW for the same thing.

It is the best $90 I've spent on electronics in a long time.

There are SVHS, component video, RCA connections and cable input/output connections.

There are inputs on the front for camcorder/vcr/whatever for dubbing.  You can also use it like a VCR and record TV shows.  Most of the functions are controlled by the remote, this I don't like.  If the remote is lost, most of the functionality is lost.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I bought a Lite-On LVW1101-HCW for the same thing.

It is the best $90 I've spent on electronics in a long time.

There are SVHS, component video, RCA connections and cable input/output connections.

There are inputs on the front for camcorder/vcr/whatever for dubbing.  You can also use it like a VCR and record TV shows.  Most of the functions are controlled by the remote, this I don't like.  If the remote is lost, most of the functionality is lost.

Hope this helps

That's actually one of the models I was eyeing based on my preliminary search.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Have to disagree with you on that one.

1. He probably has a vcr already.
2. Connections are easy.
3. All-in-one devices are harder to repair when they break.

Look for one that has a built in 80gb (or more) hard drive, and that records DVD-R/RW discs.

Panasonic DMR-E500HS Progressive Scan DVD Video Recorder with Built-in 400 GB Hard Disk, Ethernet Network Connection, and TV Guide On Screen™ - Records to DVD-RAM and DVD-R discs
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. Connections are easy.

Look for one that has a built in 80gb (or more) hard drive, and that records DVD-R/RW discs.

www2.panasonic.com/static//LargerPhoto/DMR-E500HS_Front.jpg

Panasonic DMR-E500HS Progressive Scan DVD Video Recorder with Built-in 400 GB Hard Disk, Ethernet Network Connection, and TV Guide On Screen™ - Records to DVD-RAM and DVD-R discs

That unit looks nice, but $$$.  Is it a PVR also or just ethernet addressable?
I can't bring myself to pay for a PVR when I can rent one from the cable company for $12/ mo.
The technology has evolved so fast, in the 3 years it would take to pay the same amount as buying one, I'm sure the features will be much more enhanced by then.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. Connections are easy.

www2.panasonic.com/static//LargerPhoto/DMR-E500HS_Front.jpg

That unit looks nice, but $$$.  Is it a PVR also or just ethernet addressable?
I can't bring myself to pay for a PVR when I can rent one from the cable company for $12/ mo.
The technology has evolved so fast, in the 3 years it would take to pay the same amount as buying one, I'm sure the features will be much more enhanced by then.

No not a PVR...theres plenty on ebay for a good deal less. That's where I got mine for about $150.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top