Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 9:34:47 PM EDT
    Is DPMS as good as, say, Rock River Arms or Stag Arms?  
www.impactguns.com/store/DPMS-RFA2AP4AAP4.html

OR

should I build my own?

ETA:
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one - friend has a DPMS that's about 10 years old, and it's crap.  He fires only winchester WB through it, and he can't get through a magazine without a failure.  

Of course, it could just be that particular gun, or he could be an idiot as far as maintenance.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had problems with mine.

If a rifle doesn't work, there is usually a fix for it. Some people just can't figure out how to take it apart and fix the problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a dpms m-4A3 and it is a good rifle got it for 850 with a cleaning kit 2 30 rnds 1yr warranty and a case.  If i get another ar I mean when i get another ar i will get a dpms, bushy, or rra they all are good enough for me and are all priced well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
second tier IMO but not a bad rife
RRA ,COLT, Bushmaster,Armalite   are all better rifles
I would say they are a tad nicer than a Olympic
never seen a complete stag rifle so I cannot compare
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't own a DPMS, but I have used one of their lower parts kit and it was fine, but their rifles don't have chrome lined barrels.  That may or may not be a concern to you.  If I wanted a M-4 type rifle and was unsure about building my own (it's actually very easy, see the build it youself board) I would order a complete Stag lower w/ 6 position stock (here) and a complete Stag M-4 upper (here) and push the 2 pins and put it together.  The total price would be $750 plus shipping and transfer fees.

ETA:  Damn, now I'm thinking I want an M-4gery.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, with a few exceptions, virtually ALL ARs made today are pretty good.

Sure, some are better than others, but the patents have expired years ago and much like 1911s, everyone and their cousin are making them.

For the most part, they are pretty much interchangable, parts wise except for Colts. FWIW, you see damned few Colts at matches.

I have a DPMS CMP type rifle and it prints sub 1.5" groups at 200(TWO hundred) yards, which is about .75 moa. Not bad for a PRODUCTION gun at all.

I bought the CMP model before they worked all the bugs out and I'll say this: Randy Luth busted his ass to make damned sure I was a happy camper. Of ALL of the consumer goods(cars, toasters, name it) I have bought, I have NEVER had service like I got from DPMS. And it never cost me a dime, except, maybe for the price of mailing the upper back to DPMS.

If you want to go whole hog with accuracy in an AR, you have to steer clear of the mass manufacturers and go custom. Plan on big bucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK, with a few exceptions, virtually ALL ARs made today are pretty good.

Sure, some are better than others, but the patents have expired years ago and much like 1911s, everyone and their cousin are making them.

For the most part, they are pretty much interchangable, parts wise except for Colts. FWIW, you see damned few Colts at matches.

I have a DPMS CMP type rifle and it prints sub 1.5" groups at 200(TWO hundred) yards, which is about .75 moa. Not bad for a PRODUCTION gun at all.

I bought the CMP model before they worked all the bugs out and I'll say this: Randy Luth busted his ass to make damned sure I was a happy camper. Of ALL of the consumer goods(cars, toasters, name it) I have bought, I have NEVER had service like I got from DPMS. And it never cost me a dime, except, maybe for the price of mailing the upper back to DPMS.

If you want to go whole hog with accuracy in an AR, you have to steer clear of the mass manufacturers and go custom. Plan on big bucks.

Accuracy isn't too big because I just ordered a RRA National Match A2.  I don't know why I want an M4gery either (are we allowed to call them M4s now?) because I use my AK-47 for almost everything I would use an M4 for.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#8]
dpms is good. my first ar was dpms, love it.   the internals i use for all my builds are dpms, never had a prollem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one with really low serial #. Started being weird a few years back. Changed out the inards. Problem solved. Had it for years, no REAL probs here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#10]
About ten years ago, all I was able to get my hands on were DPMS lowers.  So, I have a few that are built using forged DPMS lowers.  I have never had any problems with any of the ones that I have used.
I noticed the newer lowers that they are now selling look a little cleaner/crisper than the ones they were trying to crank out after the '94 ban.
I have no regrets using DPMS lowers or internals.  
I don't have much experience using their uppers.
I never had an issue where I had to use their customer service so, I can't comment there either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been shooting one for four years.  A year after I bought the standard A2, I send the upper to White Oak Precision for some accurizing and that's all that has been done to it.  

In the time I've had it, I have NEVER experienced a failure of any kind.  Not Once.  I've recieved nothing but the best from customer service whenever I inquire about something as well.  In fact, I wrote them expressing my happiness with their rifle and they mailed me a letter and a full size DPMS print signed by their staff.  I'd call that first rate.

Everyone says stick with the "ABCs" is should be the "ABCDs".  Most people that have something bad to say have never even touched a DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I only have about 5000 rounds though my DPMS 24" Superbull.  No malfunctions with the weapon.  It even absorbed a couple case ruptures without a hiccup.

DPMS is fine quality IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe that DPMS rifles are top-notch.  Those that do not like them most probably have never owned one.

Mine has first rate fit and finish.  Here it is:

With well developed handloads, it will shoot ragged one-hole groups.

What else could you want?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Never had problems with mine.

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I believe that DPMS rifles are top-notch.  Those that do not like them most probably have never owned one.

Mine has first rate fit and finish.  Here it is:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20260

With well developed handloads, it will shoot ragged one-hole groups.

What else could you want?

Painless-

I have a DPMS 16" Bull barrel just like yours.....but with a Leupold 1.5X5 scope.
Upgraded the trigger, and you are right it will shoot ragged-hole groups with the right load.

Also have a DPMS AP4 .223 (Chrome lined) and it is a great rifle.

IMO DPMS build great rifles, they shoot just as nice as my Colts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Painless-

I have a DPMS 16" Bull barrel just like yours.....but with a Leupold 1.5X5 scope.
Upgraded the trigger, and you are right it will shoot ragged-hole groups with the right load.

Also have a DPMS AP4 .223 (Chrome lined) and it is a great rifle.

IMO DPMS build great rifles, they shoot just as nice as my Colts.

I feel that DPMS and Colts are in the same league, along with a couple of others.  Best of the best.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#17]
they are good quality

just wish thier parts were a little darker....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Choosing an AR rifle.

Follow the ABCD's and R's:

Armalite,
Bushmaster,
Colt,
DPMS, and
Rock River.

There may be one other C that I am not ready to endorse just yet.

ETA:  DPMS is an industry leader with several unique upper and lower receiver configurations that you will buy nowhere else.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
DPMS is decent quality. Not the best, but certainly adequate.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I feel that DPMS and Colts are in the same league, along with a couple of others.  Best of the best.

I dare NOT put Colt in the same league as DPMS.

How come you don't see very many Colts at Camp Perry?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two DPMS rifles. They sent many thousands of rounds downrange with no problems. They are more accurate than I am. I would not hesitate to buy another.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
i had a cryo barrel dpms thatd shoot sub 1 inch at 100. rock river is better for plinking as its chrome lined and has a wylde chamber.

dpms= accuracy rifle
rra= shoot the shit outta stuff
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
mine works fine....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a old investment cast DPMS lower with a Fulton Armory upper. Havent had a problem yet. Although most AR problems occur in the upper reciever and not the lower. I think if i were to butt stroke someone the lower would probably crack same thing would probably happen if i fell on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Love mine.20incher...only complaint was the mags they sent along with it..Clear brown plastic and they cracked..This was a few years ago and I believe they stopped doing that
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Hasn't this been done to death??
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.strangepersons.com/images/content/8531.jpg

Hasn't this been done to death??

No?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:29:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had my "Sweet Sixteen" for 4 or 5 years now and it has never given me a problem. One issue that I am experiencing is that the handguard slip ring is losing its finish and is becoming purple in color. I have emailed DPMS a couple of times regarding this loss of finish, but have yet to hear from them. I'm curious to see how it goes, and I would hope to have it refinished or replaced.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:06:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I don't own one - friend has a DPMS that's about 10 years old, and it's crap.  He fires only winchester WB through it, and he can't get through a magazine without a failure.  

Of course, it could just be that particular gun, or he could be an idiot as far as maintenance.

When that was built DPMS was recommending against Winchester ammo.  I think that it was considered under-powered by them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Paging dpmmn!!!

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Paging dpmmn!!!

Being this is GD and all, I'll offer this advice

First I am in no way affiliated with DPMS
I'm not going to tell you to look at another brand of rifle and I am not going to tell you which brand of rifle to buy, it is all up to you.

But I will tell you this,

If you are going to get a DPMS Rifle, make sure you order one with a chromelined barrel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Paging dpmmn!!!

Being this is GD and all, I'll offer this advice

First I am in no way affiliated with DPMS
I'm not going to tell you to look at another brand of rifle and I am not going to tell you which brand of rifle to buy, it is all up to you.

But I will tell you this,

If you are going to get a DPMS Rifle, make sure you order one with a chromelined barrel.

how?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Depends on what you want the rifle for. Basic shooting and durability? Chrome.

Accuracy? Steel.

They can't get chrome to stuck to steel evenly. hence minor uneven ness.

OTOH, if you DO get a chrome lined that shoots real good, it'll last a long time.

Think I'm wrong?

Go to the competitive forum.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I have sold all of the major brands  and Ar15s are my stores niche around here
we no longer sell DPMS or olympic for a reason
I have sent DPMS  back to the factory 2 to1 compared to the ABCs and RRA
olympic 3to1
some will  say its just small problems  that are easy  to fix , that is true but why should a customer or me  have to fuck with a brand new rifle , when the other brands do not seem to have nearly the amount of problems
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I give DPMS an overall approval score of 88%.
Bushmaster 92%
Armalite 89%
Rock River 88%
Oly 68%

Also DPMS is usually a good bargain too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#36]
got a 16in.  sad to say that I use and abuse mine and Ive never had a problem.  Some of my friends are afraid of taking their guns out hunting in the rain or throught the swamp...not me, Ill swim with mine if thats what it takes.  No doubt in my mind that it'll fail me.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No doubt in my mind that it'll fail me.

LOL
sorry hate to be a grammer NAZI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top