Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 5:33:45 PM EDT

I know it will vary by state, but I'm wondering if you typically get fined, etc?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, a fine should be expected.  If you were hunting big game without a license and actually harvested an animal, expect jail time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
In Texas you get fined.  If you actually killed something they'll take your gun, your vehicle, and probably your manhood.

There was a high profile case here a while back, some guy shooting  a bunch of geese.  I think he landed 19K in fines and lost the aforementioned gun and truck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone walking the bush after hours are we?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They let 5 year olds eat your soul.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Here you can either pay the fine after contacting the appropriate court of if you want to contest it, go to court. The court proceedings vary from county to county.  IF YOU DO NOT PAY IT OR SHOW UP IN COURT YOU WILL BE ARRESTED for contempt of court.

GR
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In Texas you get fined.  If you actually killed something they'll take your gun, your vehicle, and probably your manhood.

There was a high profile case here a while back, some guy shooting  a bunch of geese.  I think he landed 19K in fines and lost the aforementioned gun and truck.

Generally you can get what is confiscated back after you pay your fine, in most states than literally confiscate the clothes of your back when game laws are violated
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of that info isn't exactly correct.

In Texas, if you are trespassing and kill a whitetail, expect severe penalties including state jail time.

If you shot a deer on your land or lease and didn't have a license.....expect a citation for hunting without the license, and failure to properly tag the deer, and failure to fill out the log.(you can't tag it or log it without a license)

Might lose your gun, for sure you would have to pay the state for the animal.

In all probably about $2000.00 total.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Are souls good?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here you can either pay the fine after contacting the appropriate court of if you want to contest it, go to court. The court proceedings vary from county to county.  IF YOU DO NOT PAY IT OR SHOW UP IN COURT YOU WILL BE ARRESTED for contempt of court.

GR

Maybe so, but if you just go by the courthouse and pay the fine, it will be something ridicously low like $35.00 or something like that. Most game violations have really low fines. Just look in GON's Hall Of Shame.
TS
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Fine and court costs.  Usually runs around $120.

No license and you kill a big game animal, you also pay replacement cost.  If memory serves, a deer is around $350.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone else want more information from the poster?  Yes?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
just don't do it...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at on state hunting grounds, at the rifle range and got a written warning for no hunting license.

It was kind of funny, I had on double hearing protection, and eye protection.  I wasn't doing any rapid fire, but taking nice, aimed shots at 200 yards in the prone position.

The warden had to tap my foot, because apparently I didn't hear him trying to call me over.  Wonder if he got the clue when I took my muffs off, then the plugs.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No license and you kill a big game animal, you also pay replacement cost.  If memory serves, a deer is around $350.

Wow....hunting is a lot bigger business in Texas, and the fines here reflect that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does anyone else want more information from the poster?  Yes?

Yep. I do.

Why would you be asking a question like that BB?

Pretty much, pochers are frowned upon around where I come from.

No hunting license = pocher
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Pocher?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow....hunting is a lot bigger business in Texas, and the fines here reflect that.

Wheeler County Judge told my brother that Hunting fines are usually around 500.00 per incident
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's a little-known game management fact that many pochers can't spell.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Neighbors buddy got caught with a deer and no tag a few weeks ago. They took the deer, his rifle, and his fine is supposedly around a thousand bucks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope,

Drunks can't speel.

BTW.

Fuck you Rodent.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#22]
In MI if you get it they can take anything being used to "poach", guns, cars/truck, atv, house maybe.  If its an "accident/mistake" you might be able to get charges reduced or maybe dropped.  Depends on the officer or judge.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GR

Maybe so, but if you just go by the courthouse and pay the fine, it will be something ridicously low like $35.00 or something like that. Most game violations have really low fines. Just look in GON's Hall Of Shame.
TS

It depends on the county. Some will be $35.00 some will be $350.00. It depends.

GR
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are souls good?

[homersimpson]"Mmmmm....forbidden donut...."[/homersimpson]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it is a well guarded secret. That's one way we catch them!

GR
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are souls good?

Needs a little hot sauce sometimes, depends on how dry it is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#27]
If you are shootin game on my land without permission and out of season, I think you will start to understand what a Barrett 82A1 with API will do to your pickup.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you are shootin game on my land without permission and out of season, I think you will start to understand what a Barrett 82A1 with API will do to your pickup.  

Nice!  Wouldnt it just be easier to get a license then worry about what would happen if you didnt have one?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Fine . Loss of weapon . Criminal record . Can not get a hunting permit for awhile from what I here .
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:23:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Some states, like Idaho if I remember correctly, require one to be in posession of a valid hunting license if carrying an uncased firearm in the field. This means on any public land, including any range on public land.

Oklahoma must have a similar law if you got pinched at a state range target shooting. That sucks.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I know it will vary by state, but I'm wondering if you typically get fined, etc?

Actually, I think that Chuck Norris kills 100 kittens for every shitty movie or shitty television show episode that he has starred in when you poach!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
In MI if you get it they can take anything being used to "poach", guns, cars/truck, atv, house maybe.  If its an "accident/mistake" you might be able to get charges reduced or maybe dropped.  Depends on the officer or judge.

Yep, expect to get reemed pretty good. You WILL lose your gun, and if you are "car hunting" probably your car. You will get your car back usually but don't think that getting the gun bck is an automatic sure thing. A "late shot" by a few minutes is one thing, poaching on the other hand is entirely different. You CAN lose your liscense permanantly if you are caught multiple times.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Take game on your own land, and that of your (well secluded and consentual, or on vacation)) friends.  Shouldn't need to pay tax to feed the folks...

Where I am from they can't question that unless they are better armed than you and your family (read "well-regulated-militia").

"I swear that big-ass bear was running straight towards me!!!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yes, a fine should be expected.  If you were hunting big game without a license and actually harvested an animal, expect jail time.

Yes. The MAN doesn't take it kindly when the serfs kill the King's critters without permission.

Don't get me wrong; I'm for responsible game management. But I object to having to pay for the priveledge of hunting on public lands. And I object even more strenuously over states that require you to get a paid license to hunt on YOUR OWN LAND. That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Personally, I think poachers should lose their hunting rights, be fined and, their equipment confiscated. and, be kicked in the nuts several times.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#37]
pay the fine and buy a hunting license, not trying to be funny
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Oklahoma must have a similar law if you got pinched at a state range target shooting. That sucks.  

I guess they do!   There were three of us, and two of us didn't have licenses.  There were two Game Wardens that approached us, and the young guy was all uber tactical and JBT like, the oldtimer was all friendly and honestly.  He was even asking about the ARs!  If the younger GW wasn't there, I bet the oldtimer GW would've been like "You guys can finish up, but next time bring a hunting license."  They let us stick around though, which was cool.  Luckily we didn't get fined, but we were being responsible.  We weren't rapid firing, blowing stuff up, drinking, etc.  But I got my hunting license after that, and never saw a GW at that range again.  Eh it was only $25.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#39]
What I'd like to know is where in the hell they get off ASSUMING that if one has a gun on public land, one MUST be hunting, and therefore MUST give PAYOLA to the state. Hell, I used to carry my SKS when I was hiking on public land during hunting season; the rationale being that if some dumbass hunter shot at me, he'd get a real suprise when he shot at a noise, not even bothering to ID his target.  This there "deer" shots back...even worse if it was a Sunday, when hunting isn't allowed.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Where i hunt you lose the gun as evidence of the crime and the vehicle/RV you drove in on as a instrumentality of the crime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top