Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
Dec 11th I tried to fly back with an AR upper in my checked suitcase.  TSA told me it had to be in a locked, hard-sided case.  According to their website's summary of policies, it said nothing about firearm parts being in a locked case.

I spoke with UPS yesterday, and they want firearm parts to go from FFL to FFL.  What in the hell?  I refuse to do that!  On a side note, I find it odd because I've received firearm parts through UPS, and I have no FFL!

I can understand complete firearms, but firearm parts?  They are inoperable pieces!  Who in the hell makes up these ridiculous policies?  If it isn't a complete firearm, then what is the big deal?   It's merely just a paperweight!

Luckily, I've been discussing this in painstaking detail with TSA, and they believe the agent was wrong in telling me it wouldn't go on the plane.  I believe it when he gets a mark on his record.  The applicable sections in the Code of Federal Regulations that deal with TSA and checked baggage do not state anything about firearms parts needing to be in locked hard-sided cases, but only that they be in checked baggage.  Wonder if I can sue them for damages?   (My parents had to come back to the airport and pick up the upper, which was a 45 minute one way drive.  Then they had to mail it to me.)

UPS is my next mission.  I want to get to the bottom of this, but first I want to let them know that I refuse to use their services.  A phone call tomorrow during business hours should get the ball rolling.  Once I find out who to write a letter to, they will have it!

Screw TSA and screw UPS.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it through UPS as "machined metal parts", don't tell them what it REALLY is.
No serial number, not recognized by the BATF as a firearm, fuck'em.

As far as the TSA goes those asshats can make policy at the drop of a hat, you'll never win.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Send it through UPS as "machined metal parts", don't tell them what it REALLY is.

As far as the TSA goes those asshats can make policy at the drop of a hat, you'll never win.

Sent something fedex the other day.  Counter guy asks what it is. "Parts for a c22 upper assembly."  Was sent no problems.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
So I guess we can't mail order parts anymore? Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You are dealing with an idiot at UPS they ship firearms parts all the time. I ship parts from the UPS counter at Office Depot all the time with the description firearms parts. I take them to the UPS depot sometimes and never a problem.

You can use the US Mail.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sure, that's one way to do it.  Even listing the item as "sporting goods" does the trick.  However, I'd rather have them change their policy!

TSA did exactly that when I showed them their own policy straight from their website!  I want that scumbag fired.  He wasn't a normal agent, but the supervisor of the agents in the immediate area.  I believe he let his personal anti-gun feelings get in the way of his job, and I would love to see him get fired.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You are dealing with an idiot at UPS they ship firearms parts all the time. I ship parts from the UPS counter at Office Depot all the time with the description firearms parts. I take them to the UPS depot sometimes and never a problem.

You can use the US Mail.

I called them up yesterday, and spoke to some sort of supervisor.  She had to talk to her supervisor and I sat on hold for over 10 minutes while they sorted it out, and eventually looked into their policy.  She read it word for word over the phone.

USPS has no problem with firearm parts.

The part you mentioned that I highlighted in red truely surprises me!!   According to them, firearms and firearm pats must be shipped from one of their centers, and not a store.  Let alone that I assume you have no FFL and the person on the receving end wasn't an FFL either.

Lack of enforcement/standardization!  HORRIBLE!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can use the US Mail.

I called them up yesterday, and spoke to some sort of supervisor.  She had to talk to her supervisor and I sat on hold for over 10 minutes while they sorted it out, and eventually looked into their policy.  She read it word for word over the phone.

USPS has no problem with firearm parts.

The part you mentioned that I highlighted in red truely surprises me!!   According to them, firearms and firearm pats must be shipped from one of their centers, and not a store.  Let alone that I assume you have no FFL and the person on the receving end wasn't an FFL either.

Lack of enforcement/standardization!  HORRIBLE!

I do it all the time... I always take firearms to the depot but parts only when I am going that way.

UPS’s public firearms policy at their web site does not mention parts. Maybe something has changed maybe not and they just told it has… did you talk to a local person or someone at the National number.

When you read close their policy does not even restrict firearms shipments to FFL to FFL shipments. I think someone might be telling you what they THINK UPS policy is.

www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/guidelines/firearms.html

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Firearms will be transported only between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, law enforcement agencies of the United States or of any department or agency thereof and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency, or political subdivision thereof, and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws.

You must ship your packages that contain handguns with UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services.

Follow These Packing Requirements
Your packages that contain handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS
Ammunition cannot be included in your packages that contain firearms (including handguns)

About Documentation and Labeling
When you are shipping your package that contains a firearm with UPS, you must affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a firearm from UPS daily pickup accounts and through UPS Customer Centers
When you  are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk
You can use UPS daily pickup accounts to ship firearms, not including handguns, through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS On-Call PickupSM, and One-Time Pickup
Your packages that contain firearms will not be accepted for shipment at UPS Drop Boxes, with UPS SonicAir® service, at locations of The UPS Store or any third-party retailer, or with international services
See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff for shipping firearms

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
UPS’s public firearms policy at their web site does not mention parts. Maybe something has changed maybe not and they just told it has… did you talk to a local person or someone at the National number.

I called the National number to make sure I had UPS' official policy on firearm parts as their website was of no use.

I didn't want my Mom and Stepdad to make a trip only to be refused service.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I called the National number to make sure I had UPS' official policy on firearm parts as their website was of no use.

I didn't want my Mom and Stepdad to make a trip only to be refused service.

Having dealt with UPS for nearly 2 decades I know it is very possible to get bad information from their help people as I suspect you may have. I have known them to tell people that firearms could only be shipped FFL to FFL and you can see that at least was not true.

When they change their shipping rules it usually goes up on the website as soon as the changes take effect. People use that site as a shipping information ceter that information is usually right.

I do believe someone read what they thought was in UPS’s shipping policy and not what was actually there. I would call them back and point out what the web sites says and ask them to square that up.

If you do let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
does anyone know if any of the carriers xray packages? either randomly or as part of procedure....say for air packages or anything not on their own jets? if you send parts or gun stuff and its not labled as such, how likely is it that it might be found and flagged?

eta..i knew about the locked case for parts thing from reading posts here. others have experienced that as well. need to use tsa approved locks too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I insured a gas block for 400 bucks for shipping. Got a funny look from the guy behind the counter, he picked it up and looked at it quizzically and asked "What is it?"
"Gas flow control device, custom made"

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I insured a gas block for 400 bucks for shipping. Got a funny look from the guy behind the counter, he picked it up and looked at it quizzically and asked "What is it?"
"Gas flow control device, custom made"

I have found if you walk in and say you are insuring whatever for $1000+ you could say it was hand grenades and they would probably ship it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Having dealt with UPS for nearly 2 decades I know it is very possible to get bad information from their help people as I suspect you may have. I have known them to tell people that firearms could only be shipped FFL to FFL and you can see that at least was not true.

When they change their shipping rules it usually goes up on the website as soon as the changes take effect. People use that site as a shipping information ceter that information is usually right.

I do believe someone read what they thought was in UPS’s shipping policy and not what was actually there. I would call them back and point out what the web sites says and ask them to square that up.

If you do let us know what you find out.

You betcha.  

Like I said before, I can tolerate certain things.  But when people don't know the answer and lie to me, shame on them!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top