Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 2:30:12 PM EDT
I haven't gotten a new pair in 8 years.  I know my prescription has to have changed... but I suppose not by too much.  I paid $175 for my last pair, frames and lenses together, 8 years ago.

I went into Lens Crafters... and got sticker shock!

Cheap frames are $100.  The ones that I liked are $200.

Lenses are $120 for their bottom of the line model (duralens), with the featherweight, antireflective being from $240 to $280!!!!!!

That is $220 for the cheapest decent pair I can get, or $480 for the pair I want.

She said she would knock off $100 a pair if I buy a 2nd set, which I was thinking of getting prescription sunglasses as well....  Sunglesses are gonna run another $350 or so.

So $480, plus $350, minus the discounts, is $630 plus tax!!!!!  My insurance only covers $100 of that.

Should I shop around?  Are the good discount places to get lenses with all the bells and whistles, without paying through the nose?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
are the frames still good on your current glasses?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lemme guess - an eye doctor?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to the local guy,and have done so since 1990.My entire family now goes to him because of the service we receive fromhim.He knows us as soon as we walk through the door,has been there when we have emergency optical needs,and gives a good service for the price he charges.I'll never go to a chain store as long as I have any other option.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
WalMart, and I'm not kidding.  Three pair for 150$ with exam.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1 That's where I get mine.

Of course, I can't hit shit... maybe not.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok - I added a poll to find out what the "hive mind" pays on average.

Where else do you guys buy your eyeglasses?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Oakley sunglass frames + lenses cut at the eye-doctor's office.  Better quality and WAY cheaper than buying actual eyeglass frames.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oakley sunglass frames + lenses cut at the eye-doctor's office.  Better quality and WAY cheaper than buying actual eyeglass frames.

Where did you get your Oakley frames?  Just bought a pair of oakly glasses?  Can any lens place put them in any frame?  Thats a neat idea... cause most of the crappy sunglass frames at the optos are still $100.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you get your Oakley frames?  Just bought a pair of oakly glasses?  Can any lens place put them in any frame?  Thats a neat idea... cause most of the crappy sunglass frames at the optos are still $100.

I get 'em at the Sunglass Hut.  You have to watch out though, because depending on how curved the frames are (in the lens area) and how strong your rX is they might not be able to cut the lenses.  When I got my last pair I wanted to use X-Metal Juliet frames, but the eye-doctor people said if they tried to put my rX in a frame curved that much it would have too much distortion for the lenses to be useful.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 That's where I get mine.

Of course, I can't hit shit... maybe not.  

Yep, Wallyworld for about ...geeze....over 6 years easy now. Good service, good price AND if I'm in another state I can go right in and get some more contacts or glasses.  
Try losing your contact three states from home with no extra.
We are all in the big computer, give it up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
When I wore prescription glasses, I had used the cheap ones from LensCrafters and such. I then switched to Oakley prescription frames, and they were the best, most durable frames I'd ever had. They were expensive, but worth it.

Now, not needing prescription glasses, I wear Oakley M Frames for sunglasses/shooting glasses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top