Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 1:43:49 PM EDT
Seafood Gumbo

Roux in initial stage.

Peanut Butter stage...or very close to it.

Final Stage...Chocalate or very close to it.

Ingredients.

This recipe makes two full pots....this is one of them cooking down the veggies.

Seafood=5 lbs shrimp, small bucket oysters, 1 lb crab meat.

Fresh baked french bread.

And the final product.

I was too hungry to search for the extra items for the pic....including the spoon....

HAPPY NEW YEAR ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn Davey you is making me hungry!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn that looks tasty... hard to get a good gumbo in this area, barbeque yes, but no gumbo.

ETA: Where's the okra?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I had that when I went to Key Largo, FLA. It was good............
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Damn that looks tasty... hard to get a good gumbo in this area, barbeque yes, but no gumbo.

No matter how hard I try, I can not make myself like okra. Too much slime. Im stuffed
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No matter how hard I try, I can not make myself like okra. Too much slime. Im stuffed

hehe, yea, it's pretty odd stuff. Proper gumbo has the consistency of snot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
looks nice, but I hate anything seafood....

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:15:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm guessing but that looks like it cost about $100 to make. Am I close?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
OH MAN!! post the recipie for that. The wife works nights and for the first time in our 14 year marriage I am the one on days. Home everynight at 1530. I feel her pain of making dinner every night for the kids now!!!
Always looking for something new to make.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:57:49 AM EDT
[#10]
How long did you cook the roux to get it to the "chocolate" stage?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I love seafood gumbo

The best gumbo I ever had was at R&O's; a shrimp and pizza joint in Metairie, LA.
I wonder if that place is still there, post Katrina...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
First off you slowly add flour to the oil. It looks like you are working with cake batter. Also use a big cast iron skillet. Heats evenly and better. Also what the heck is the tomatos for? We don' put tomatos in a gumbo. Seafood looks good tho. Use real shrimp and boil the heads and shells and use the stock. Man I am making myself hungry early in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First off you slowly add flour to the oil. It looks like you are working with cake batter. Also use a big cast iron skillet. Heats evenly and better. Also what the heck is the tomatos for? We don' put tomatos in a gumbo. Seafood looks good tho. Use real shrimp and boil the heads and shells and use the stock. Man I am making myself hungry early in the morning.

Man, just like anything else, everybody has their own style. Not only do I use all three cans of Tomatos but all the juice as well. I do normally like to include whole cleaned crabs, just didn't feel like cleaning them yesterday. Honestly, I know I can not duplicate real LA Gumbo, so I stick with my favorite recipe passed on from my father.

Price to make: 80 bucks.

Since I was using the non stick skillet as opposed to he big black iron mofo, the roux took a good 40 minutes....... plus I was being really careful so I could get it darker. Truthfully, it still could have used a few more minutes over heat.

IM me if you really want the recipe

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn! That looks good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top