Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 12:35:35 PM EDT
China.  Was going through some antique stuff my mother left. It's FABULOUS!

It's a whole tea set with cups, saucers, cream pitcher, tea pot, sugar bowl, and desert plates. Each piece has a raised, handpainted dragon on it. I'll try to get some pictures posted later. I have never seen such quality and beauty in cups and saucers! AWESOME!

My question is this: how does one get a viable appraisal, and how do you know if they are low-balling you in the hopes that you will sell it? I live in the sticks and there isn't a big museum anywhere close where somebody who knows this stuff would work.

Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

It's a whole tea set with cups, saucers, cream pitcher, tea pot, sugar bowl, and desert plates. Each piece has a raised, handpainted dragon on it. I'll try to get some pictures posted later. I have never seen such quality and beauty in cups and saucers! AWESOME!

My question is this: how does one get a viable appraisal, and how do you know if they are low-balling you in the hopes that you will sell it? I live in the sticks and there isn't a big museum anywhere close where somebody who knows this stuff would work.

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.

Fuck you! I'm serious...it's neat shit!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just like seeing "Hive Mind" threads at the top of page 1.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
take pics and post them someone that collects china will be along shortly.

other than that i can't help you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You're probably screwed.

On one hand it could have been bought in the early 1950s.  Lots of low quality stuff flooded into the US, 'made in occupied japan'.  At the time they had lots of cheap labor.

If its the right type of china, it could be very valuable.  There are some shops in Japan that have been making china or enamel ware using the same methods for centuries.  If its from one of these shops, you're in luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.

No thanks.  That teapot is really starting to effect your mind and sexual orientation.  Are you talking like Christopher Lowell yet?  

I'm really no help in these kind of matters, so I have to talk some shit.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This is going to get ugly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Contact Christie's, Sotheby's or Bonham's.
They will definitely know.
Be prepared for a hefty appraisal bill.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Now this is funny shit. sharing a fabulous teas set story on a gun website, this place is turning into martha stewart dot com
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.

Fabulous and low-balling in one thread....that is...is....Splendid!!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.

Fabulous and low-balling in one thread....that is...is....Splendid!!!!

Darling, don't get me started.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It is a long shot it is actually worth anything at all. If it is, good luck trying to find a buyer for it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
My mother knows a fair amount about antique China and knows a few people who trade it for a living. If you post some good photographs, I will be glad to show them to mom. Be sure to take detailed close-ups of the information on the back. The little seals and whatnot they put on the bottom are what China dealers usually use to determine the maker and the era.

Galland
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like "whiptail" from your description....pics needed
Does it say "Japan" or "Occupied Japan" on the bottom of the pieces?

My wife has collected this stuff for around 25 years....should be able to I.D. it for you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a bit of knowledge about older antique china and I would be glad to have a look at it.

When you post pictures be sure to photo the boxes that they came in.
The boxes have quite an impact on the price, especially if they are made of wood.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]
*******PAGING THE HIVE MIND,PAGING THE HIVE MIND,PLEASE REPORT TO THIS THREAD ASAP!!!!!!!!*******

OOaaaahhhhhh A cream pitcher AND a sugar bowl ? Surely you must be fooling around with us.

Might I suggest you take the saucers and cream pots to the range and kill them off before you turn completely gay.Next thing you know you will be posting a picture of some sort of antique tea party using GI joes and other action figures.

I just looked at my dinner plate,and is made in China,is it worth anything ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Fabulous?? How bout wonderful? Dude, you gotta know that gayness is beeming right about now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
But does it match the curtains in your dining room?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:20:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Take note of the flamers, so that when you sell the china and buy TWO MP5s, you'll be able to drop 'em a nice "ghey" hand-written note.  (hopefully)       Stay safe
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help!

This thread is so gay.

lol thats pretty funny
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I trade around in all kinds of things old and what not.  But I refuse to get involved with damn dinner sets.  That being said, my bud paid 12 bucks for a complete set of older China.  This was with the creamer and teapot.  He sold it for 2600 on egay...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#22]
FUCK! That shit is worth money?!

Last time I found a China set it ended up at the far side of the range.

Damnit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top