Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 10:18:27 AM EDT
I got thinking the other night, and was wondering if this would work.  Anyone have any thoughts about this?  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
yes...but you shouldn't use it an aluminum framed weapons, apparently it can damage aluminum because it is harder than aluminum.....steel on the other hand, no sweat.....

hopefully, someone can fill us in on that....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes...but you shouldn't use it an aluminum framed weapons, apparently it can damage aluminum because it is harder than aluminum.....steel on the other hand, no sweat.....

hopefully, someone can fill us in on that....

I think you're right.  I was thinking it was because some sort of electrolytic corrosion or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought some powdered moly di-sulfide lube, I'm gonna try it out on my P22 as soon as I get off my lazy ass. It's supposed to be pretty good for metal on metal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I once read that hunters in the North Pole region would lubricate their rifles with graphite, as liquid oil would get too gummy in the extreme cold up there.

Never saw cold like that here in Texas, but I did read about it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, the problem with graphite use with aluminum isn't its hardness. Graphite and aluminum cause a galvanic reaction to occur that causes the aluminum to corrode. This is common whenever dissimilar metals are in contact with each other, however, the more dissimilar the metals, the more reactive is the reaction. On a galvanic table, aluminum ranges between #6-#25 (depending on alloy). Graphite is #92 (the highest number on the chart). When these two metals are brought into contact, the metal with lower number (aluminum) acts as an anode and corrodes. The greater the difference between the 2 numbers, the more aggresive the reaction is. The only metals more aggressive than aluminum and graphite would be graphite and magnesium + alloys, zinc or beryllium.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Use it in my FAL and HK and it seems to work well.   Got some Remington oil that I mix with it so its more liquid.    Just realize that it looks like you haven't cleaned your rifle in awhile.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I think powdered graphite offers -0- corrosion protection.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I once read that hunters in the North Pole region would lubricate their rifles with graphite, as liquid oil would get too gummy in the extreme cold up there.

Never saw cold like that here in Texas, but I did read about it.

That's true. When it gets cold...-60 cold (wouldn't know anything about that in Texas) any old lube just will not work. It freezes. I use AK_Mike's method when it gets that cold. I use either NO lube, or an extremely thin coating CLP...the thinner the better. I believe graphite will corrode the Aluminum, but don't quote me on it.  

See this thread HERE it has many of AK_Mike's methods, and some that I've tried.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
just shoot Wolf ammo and claim all that black crap IS graphite.

Don't you need a fairly high moisture ambient environment for the steel/alum/graphite problem to manifest itself? Or am I misremembering another galvanic problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top