Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 8:47:12 AM EDT
A friend of mine, who recently moved his family onto a farm owned by the company his wife works for has asked me to step in and give him a hand with a problem.   The problem? This place is CRAWLING with 'yotes.  

Some of these yotes are monsters, and he is not comfortable with the fact they have no problem coming into the yard/barn area during twilight/at night. He has 2 young boys and a couple of dogs, and this makes him very uncomfortable. I've taken a look around the property and can confirm thats theres an unuslually high concentration of yote sign, many different sets of tra cks, some of them huge.

I'm not to suprised, as it is a commericial hog farm that this property bumps up next to.

So anyway, i've decided to help him out by thining his yote pack, but i'd like to make a little money at it if its possible.    So basically im wondering if there is any market for yote skins these days, and if so what the going rate per pelt is.

Either way this looks like a fun chance to break out my ghillie suit and try out my new rem 700.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC I used to see 'yote and rabbit hides at gunshows for sale.  $2 for the rabbits and I think about $10-$15 for the 'yote..

Per pelt
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A friend of mine, who recently moved his family onto a farm owned by the company his wife works for has asked me to step in and give him a hand with a problem.   The problem? This place is CRAWLING with 'yotes.  

Some of these yotes are monsters, and he is not comfortable with the fact they have no problem coming into the yard/barn area during twilight/at night. He has 2 young boys and a couple of dogs, and this makes him very uncomfortable. I've taken a look around the property and can confirm thats theres an unuslually high concentration of yote sign, many different sets of tra cks, some of them huge.

I'm not to suprised, as it is a commericial hog farm that this property bumps up next to.

So anyway, i've decided to help him out by thining his yote pack, but i'd like to make a little money at it if its possible.    So basically im wondering if there is any market for yote skins these days, and if so what the going rate per pelt is.

Either way this looks like a fun chance to break out my ghillie suit and try out my new rem 700.

Not real sure as of this year, but last year they averaged anywhere from 25-30 around here......

Might be more this year I heard demand has gone up.....

ETA......

I did some checking up on it and it seems the average for western coyotes is around 35 and 25 for eastern.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not real sure as of this year, but last year they averaged anywhere from 25-30 around here......

Might be more this year I heard demand has gone up.....

I had no idea people still bought them.  I used to get 5$ apiece in the 70's. Check and see if the local Ag extension or the county has posted a bounty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on where you are at, there may be a Bounty. BAck Home in Iowa, you get Money from the county, and sometimes PP and DU. You just cut the ears off and bring them in.

Aviator
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe your friend Or the pig farm owner would pay for a bounty?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#6]
mmmmmmm bounty, i like the sounds of that.

used to get a bounty on feral dogs when i was stationed down south.
noone thought much of it until a feral pack dragged some e7's daughter out of a housing area.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't know what they are going for now, but I know it isn't anything like the glory days of the late '70s. Fox furs were selling for $75 and I believe coyote was up there as well.

$30 isn't too bad, though. If you can find a local buyer you probably won't even have to skin them out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't know what they are going for now, but I know it isn't anything like the glory days of the late '70s. Fox furs were selling for $75 and I believe coyote was up there as well.

$30 isn't too bad, though. If you can find a local buyer you probably won't even have to skin them out.

Things were good back then and a man could make a living trapping full time. Extra-Large Creamy White Belly Coyote pelts were going for $130.00! The dinks were buying them and dyeing spots on the belly hair and passing it off as bobcat. Bobcats were bringing $350.00 straight through.

Right now, coyote pelts are bringing about $7.00 IF you're lucky. Below is a link to one of the biggest fur buyers in the country.

Moscow Hide & Fur
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#9]
varmintmasters.com/  publishes info on where to sell furs. Also lots of good tips on hunting them.

Let me give you the bottom line. Unless you are an illegal alien choking them to death and skinning about fifty a day, it probably won't pay your time and expenses. There are cleaner and easier ways to make less than minimum wage.

But you could have some good recreation for comparatively low cost.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#10]
need help?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
$15 around here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#12]
PETA ruined Coyote hunting.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't stop with the furs.  Skulls and claws bring money too.  Especially skulls that have been cleaned and are ready for display.  Hell, I used to sell coyote canine tooth earrings for upwards to $30.00 a pair.  Not bad, just got to pull them out, clean off the plaque and staining and use a fine drill to put a hole in one end.  The goth chicks love that kind of stuff.

You haven't lived until you've been squirted with some coyote anal juice on the face...    Dry-heave city my friend!!

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe i'll make a lil money yet.
i doubt it, but i'm not payin for my ammo, so it's all good.  since deer and turkey are done with there aint much else in the way of big game hunting goin on anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yeah those were the days!!!! I had a buddy who did a lot of trapping and calling, I'd go along for the fun of it, back then I was shooting 50grn. Nosler  hollow points pushing 4100fps out of a Winchester 70, in .220Swift. (these were handloads, and on the ragged edge of MAX!!)

One good Center of Mass hit would turn a 'yote inside out!!! He forbid me from using these loads, there was not much left after wards!!!!

So at his request I switched to 45grn. SXT's at a moderate speed, still got one shot kills, and only one tiny little hole to patch, these suckers would explode on the inside and turn the vitals into jelly.

Yeah, those were the good 'ol days....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

the above sites message board has all you EVER needf for pred hunting, esp yotes, I love the place and the guys who know there stuff, put up ALOT OF FUR, im talking 150 + yotes per season.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

the above sites message board has all you EVER needf for pred hunting, esp yotes, I love the place and the guys who know there stuff, put up ALOT OF FUR, im talking 150 + yotes per season.

That all??  Hell I've sent over 200 to a better place just in the past 8 monthes.........

'Course my line o' work might have somethin' to do with that!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#18]
well, most of those guys do it part time....or tape for DVDs...Byron...Randy...The Johnson bros, they site has some GREAT info and many great tanners, Champion for one, so what do you do???? dont keep me in suspense!  hey do you have a pick of all the hides hangin!  that would be sweet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top