Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 6:15:00 AM EDT
I just saw on the television that HUNTER S. THOMPSON committed suicide last year (2005).

Is this true??!!

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
yeah

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes in Woody Creek colorado, Pitkin County

Here ya go
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
He was cremated and his ashes loaded into fireworks for a last 'big bang'.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:35:58 AM EDT
[#6]
How did you miss THAT bit of news?It was all over the media at the time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#7]
again?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Woblin, not much into current events, huh?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, shotgun to the head, because he was depressed that the Republicans were winning. What a pussy way to go for such a good writer. He should have committed suicide by pissing off some ninjas and fighting them to the death.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted: Yep, shotgun to the head, because he was depressed that the Republicans were winning. What a pussy way to go for such a good writer. He should have committed suicide by pissing off some ninjas and fighting them to the death.
Yeah, there's plenty of good news back in 2005! The best part was that he was on the phone with his wife when he shot himself and the kids were in the house, too. So now only did he kill himself, he messed up his family! Bwa ha ha ha, Hunter Thompson was such a loser. Maybe he cut himself when he was a kid to get attention.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted: Yep, shotgun to the head, because he was depressed that the Republicans were winning. What a pussy way to go for such a good writer. He should have committed suicide by pissing off some ninjas and fighting them to the death.
Yeah, there's plenty of good news back in 2005! The best part was that he was on the phone with his wife when he shot himself and the kids were in the house, too. So now only did he kill himself, he messed up his family! Bwa ha ha ha, Hunter Thompson was such a loser. Maybe he cut himself when he was a kid to get attention.

I never understood the hero worship for this guy. He was a self described drug abuser who never had any trouble buying, and recklessly using weapons including full auto  with the permission of the sycophantic County Sheriff of his county. He was a boor and a bully and the last memory his children have of him is his brains splattered all over their kitchen. Yes, his own son had to be the one to discover the body.

The left adored this guy and apparently thought it was okay for him to have guns while campaigning to take yours away.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, Rot in Hell HST
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never understood the hero worship for this guy. He was a self described drug abuser who never had any trouble buying, and recklessly using weapons including full auto  with the permission of the sycophantic County Sheriff of his county. He was a boor and a bully and the last memory his children have of him is his brains splattered all over their kitchen. Yes, his own son had to be the one to discover the body.

The left adored this guy and apparently thought it was okay for him to have guns while campaigning to take yours away.

Good riddance to bad rubbish, Rot in Hell HST

I always thought him a waste of skin.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Ate a 1911, he did.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If being an irresponsible, childish, dangerous, self-absorbed, self-destructive asshole is your goal in life Hunter S. Thompson is the perfect role model.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Jesus Christ, this guy commits suicide an awful lot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#16]
What's a Hunter S. Thompson?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1.  Some 60's reject?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  Some 60's reject?lic.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, he was just some, y'know, writer guy or something.

I personally disagree very strongly with his politics (well, most of them... I'm pro-legalization), however, I do enjoy his writing. I think he was certainly a good writer, if rather misled, and I have enjoyed all of his books that I've taken the time to read.

Then again, I don't discount the works of everybody whom I disagree with politically, as many people here seem to do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I enjoyed his stories, *maybe* even recreated some of the hotel scenes(), but never actually liked HTS as a person/personality.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#23]
ever read Doonesbury?

http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/thecast/duke.html
Duke = HST

interesting Bill Murray HST article:
www.gonzo.org/articles/other/murray.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
He should have committed suicide by pissing off some ninjas and fighting them to the death insulting Chuck Norris.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#26]
No great loss IMHO
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
They say it was suicide but Bush killed him.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
They say it was suicide but Bush killed him.

No, it was a retroactive abortion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What a pussy way to go for such a good writer.

He was wholly overrated as a writer. I've seen junior high stuff better written than his. The only people who seemingly liked his stuff were the liberal asshats, the "smoke dope, make love not war" crowd.

Ironic he loved liberals yet owned guns they wanted to ban.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oh, he was just some, y'know, writer guy or something.

I personally disagree very strongly with his politics (well, most of them... I'm pro-legalization), however, I do enjoy his writing. I think he was certainly a good writer, if rather misled, and I have enjoyed all of his books that I've taken the time to read.

Then again, I don't discount the works of everybody whom I disagree with politically, as many people here seem to do.

You win the smug condescension award for today. There was one earlier post in the thread referring to Thompson's writing. I'll quote it and maybe you can figure out who wrote it and whether it discounts Thompson's writing:

Yep, shotgun to the head, because he was depressed that the Republicans were winning. What a pussy way to go for such a good writer. He should have committed suicide by pissing off some ninjas and fighting them to the death.

Don't let your own enlightenment blind you, swami.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#31]
The HA's didn't stomp quite hard enough...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If being an irresponsible, childish, dangerous, self-absorbed, self-destructive asshole is your goal in life Hunter S. Thompson is the perfect role model.

+1
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yes in Woody Creek colorado, Pitkin County

Here ya go

About 5 miles from where I'm at. The week following people were selling the local papers on Ebay and making a killing (no pun intended). The papers here are free and people were getting $50-$60 a copy or selling a weeks worth of the headlines for about the same (who cares if they are free?). I started thinking that some would be doing this and, sure enough, when I looked on Ebay there they were. The phenomenon died down after a week or so...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Gues what!!! we landed on the moon!!!!!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top