Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT
Do you smoke in the presence of young children?  Just curious.  Thanks.

I'm a former smoker.  I could never smoke around kids due to guilt and embarrassment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]
nope, but its not from guilt or embarrassment, its that they don't need to be inhaling the shit that'll probably give them cancer, if they choose to smoke later on in life, then its on them.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:11:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That is why I felt guilty.  I knew it was damaging their body.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So does your car!  Time to buy a horse.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

same thing could be said of farts or damn near anything else nowdays.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm surprised that some state hasn't already banned smoking in a private home if children are present, labelling it 'child abuse'.  Not that I advocate smoking around children, but it would be another slippery slope to banning guns in homes with children.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:21:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't smoke a lot but when I do I make it a point to get away from any nonsmokers.  My Dad smoked around my older brother when he was young and he has bad asthma.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm surprised that some state hasn't already banned smoking in a private home if children are present, labelling it 'child abuse'.  Not that I advocate smoking around children, but it would be another slippery slope to banning guns in homes with children.

A handful of states back east are trying to do this regulating smoking in a private home if there are children present. Virgina was on the list IIRC which surprises me as they're a big tobacco producer.

i believe this was for homes w/ foster children.  if i'm right, then i have no problem w/ the state telling them they can't smoke around other peoples children.  The state is paying them to care for other peoples children, they are employees, so to speak.

what's odd about this smoking issue is that if it were a street drug of equal effect as nicotine being smoked in the presence of children, you guys would be screaming to have the BG drawn and quartered.

ETA: no, when i smoked, i avoided doing it in front of children to avoid being a bad example.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:57:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes I do ...............I'm not changing
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
nope, but its not from guilt or embarrassment, its that they don't need to be inhaling the shit that'll probably give them cancer, if they choose to smoke later on in life, then its on them.

MLW>"<

+1

-HS
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't smoke a lot but when I do I make it a point to get away from any nonsmokers.  My Dad smoked around my older brother when he was young and he has bad asthma.

My B.I.L died from asthma, and I think he got it because his dad smoked constantly around him.  And my M.I.L. died from cancer, I am relatively sure that is due my F.I.L. smoking.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Second hand smoke and global warming, two of the biggest lies of the 21st century.

AB
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Define young and define 'around".

For the most part I do not.  But I have always smoked in my house while my kids were growing up.

Just not in the same room as them.

Just common sense
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have pictures of my parents' house parties in the 70's.  There is no way you could pull that crap today.  There was a phalanx of liquor bottles on the kitchen table, easily 30 fifths of booze along with various mixers.  Every adult in the house had an ashtray on their knee, and every kid was dressed up in polyester plaid.

The men drove home, usually tanked.  It was a different age, yes it was.

Clouds of smoke, extra packs of cigarettes, table lighters on every table in the living room.  Wow.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My B.I.L died from asthma, and I think he got it because his dad smoked constantly around him.  And my M.I.L. died from cancer, I am relatively sure that is due my F.I.L. smoking.

Where did you go to medical school?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#17]
No I don't smoke around children, even in my own house.  I won't smoke in someone elses house or car if they don't smoke, even if they say it it's OK.  

I will however, stand next to an ashtray outside and blow smoke in someones face if they make snide remarks about my disgusting habit.  Common courtesy goes both ways folks.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Outside, but only if the kids come up to me... If I'm in a park or festivle, I tend to walk away from kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top