Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 5:04:21 AM EDT
So, working on a project and I need some cradles made for a few pieces. Nothing major, nothing complicated. Found 1 shop which allows you to use their software to design your part and get a qoute.
Came to over 8 bucks a piece. Sounds a bit excessive to me.

So, I was wondering if there were any machinists on Arfcom who could tell me if the qoute was low, high or industry average.

Part is 1010 steel, .625x.5x.250 with a channel milled into the side (But not all the way through). Channel is .5x.260x.125. Overall dimensions are "sloppy", only critical dimension is the channel width and height which should be + .02 -.0.

I was qouted just a touch over 8 bucks a part on 15 pieces, with me doing the CAD design.

That sounds right, or is that a bit high? Personally, that sounds a touch high to me, 8 bucks a peice fora 1/2x1/2x1/4 peice of steel with a simply channel milled into it and me doing the CAD work.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say that is a good price just for the fact that finding someone who would want to do a job that small on a CNC is not easy.

BTW you would be better off finding someone that isn't into large production, as in CNC. If you can find someone who has scrap and is not busy you could problably get that done for less than $100. The larger the # with CNC the less the price per part is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats the site for that shop? I could probably use them for a few things.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would say that is a good price just for the fact that finding someone who would want to do a job that small on a CNC is not easy.

Well thats the kicker, the job doesnt need to be CNC. All it is is a simple block of steel with a channel. Problem is, NOT having CNC limits what you can do, which makes doing simple jobs unduly expensive.

Such is life.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How many will be a factor also. 1/2X1/2X1/4 material but you have a .625 dimension in there?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats the site for that shop? I could probably use them for a few things.

E Machine Shop

Its actually a very cool site. You download the software, design your project and then the software will automatically verify the design and calculate the cost (including shipping!).
My project showed a lead time of nearly a month. Might be due to the small quantity.

Anyways, its a cool site and cool idea nonetheless. Always wondered what would happen if someone loaded a firearm reciever and submitted it......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Whoops
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How many will be a factor also. 1/2X1/2X1/4 material but you have a .625 dimension in there?

First post. The actual dimension is .625. When I typed .5 that was just as a simple round number.

I need a 1/2x1/2x1/4 piece is eaiser to type then actual dimensions of .625x.......
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's another online machinist (or maybe the one you used)

www.emachineshop.com

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First post. The actual dimension is .625. When I typed .5 that was just as a simple round number.

I need a 1/2x1/2x1/4 piece is eaiser to type then actual dimensions of .625x.......

Thats part of your cost problem right there.  .625X .500 material is not a standard size and will have to be milled from a standard 3/4X3/4 bar or special ordered. Unless I'm missing something here.

eta, I use 1/2X1/4 barstock alot in my wroughtiron.  I guess a piece .625 long would work but you'd have to get cold rolled to have sharp corners.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats part of your cost problem right there.  .625X .500 material is not a standard size and will have to be milled from a standard 3/4X3/4 bar or special ordered. Unless I'm missing something here.

Thats a good point.
Maybe I'll see what it gives if I submit a 3/4x1/2x1/4 peice to cut down on the machining required.

Thanks!!  See, this is why I asked, I knew I was overlooking something obvious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Shop rate for CNC is about $80.00 an hour. Setup takes time, so the first hour will cost ya but get you no parts. It's the long runs that get the price down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top