Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 2:38:17 AM EDT
abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=3771743

There was a surprise for a Houston woman when she found out one of her family members was on a terror watch list. Now he's not able to fly until he follows a precise checklist put forth by the government. But there's a twist to this story.

Edward Allen's parents say there is no way their son's a terrorist. He doesn't own a gun and has no allegiance to a foreign government. On top of that, he's only four years old.

And by all accounts, Edward is a typical four-year-old child.

"He loves to play. He loves to watch cartoons, ride his bike," said his father, Cedric.

But one thing he's not, says Cedric, is a terrorist.

It all started on a recent flight out of Bush Intercontinental. That's when mom, Sijollie Allen, was stopped at the ticket counter and told she couldn't board the plane.

"They just said, 'You're on the list' and that's why I had to get clarity," she said. "I asked if we're both on the list. They said, 'No, you're not on the list. He (Edward) is.'"

It turns out the name Edward Allen popped up on the TSA's 'no-fly' list. Unbeknownst to his parents, the little four-year-old was a wanted man. Well, sort of.

"First off, the individual was not on the no-fly list. It's a name that on the no-fly list," said IAH Federal Security Director Jim Marchand. "We have many, many people who have common names and a lot of times, that's what happens."

TSA says in some rare cases, passengers with names similar to those on the list are sometimes stopped. In those cases, passengers are instructed fill out paperwork to get special clearance. But the Allens showed us that paperwork. On it, it asked for at least three forms of identification. It's ID the Allens say, four-year-old Edward simply doesn't have.

"Anytime he has to travel, he will always be stopped and he might not be able to travel, not until you get him special clearance," said Sijollie.

Continental Airlines, the carrier the Allens flew on, sent us a statement saying in part, they were just following procedure and regret any inconvenience to the family. In the meantime, the Allens are debating whether to file the paperwork, considering their child has no identification other than his birth certificate.
(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
One less whiney kid on an airplane?

fine with me!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking for where TSA did anything? It was the airline who stopped the kid.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

fine with me!

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fine with me!

oh don't get all stern with me.
I'm being sarcastic.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Obviously this four year old kid hates America.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

oh don't get all stern with me.
I'm being sarcastic.

OK, ill accept that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

TSA helps set the standards for these lists.  Their a .gov agency not the airlines.

maybe you missed this part

It turns out the name Edward Allen popped up on the TSA's 'no-fly' list
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TSA helps set the standards for these lists.  Their a .gov agency not the airlines.

maybe you missed this part

It turns out the name Edward Allen popped up on the TSA's 'no-fly' list

These situations can be resolved on the spot if the airline is willing to pick up a farking phone- they still could have flown. I've seen them put grown men on a flight who had a no-fly name match after a five minute call.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:17:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Give it some time.  TSA will beat this one and come up with something even more ridiculous.  I have complete faith in them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
We are just seeing the, "we are just following orders" syndrome to the Nth degree. I mean, good grief, can't they see he is FOUR YEARS OLD! What is he going to do, poop in his pant's and knock out all of the crew?!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:40:39 AM EDT
[#11]
wow that 4 year old must have lots of hajii training under his belt
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:58:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Every time I read of an instance like this, I am reminded just how deadly .gov socialized medicine would be in this Country.

Hail the .gov.........Hail the .gov...........Hail the .gov
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I remember the time that a TSA security had found 2 bottles of a liquid that a women was carrying on to a flight. The woman said it was breast milk for her baby. Of course the TSA guy said for her to prove it was breast milk by telling her to drink some. Now you know why sperm donors take the grey hound bus.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:30:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Every time I read of an instance like this, I am reminded just how deadly .gov socialized medicine would be in this Country.

Hail the .gov.........Hail the .gov...........Hail the .gov

Yep.  How does that line go: Socialized medicine would have the efficiency of the DMV and the compassion of the IRS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

fine with me!

Whiney/crying kids on airplanes are annoying.  I think parents with young children should drive.  That is what I will do.  The world does not revolve around me and my kids and I think it's rude to subject others to hours of screaming because their ears hurt or they are scared.  I made the choice to have a child, they did not.  Why should they have to suffer for what I chose?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Edward Allen's parents say there is no way their son's a terrorist. He doesn't own a gun and has no allegiance to a foreign government. On top of that, he's only four years old.

That jumped out at me. What, if he owned a gun, he'd be a terrorist? WTF?

And of course, there's a total lack of common sense and reason by Airline and Government employees. Not that that's unusual or anything.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#17]
He's a terrorist, he just doesn't know it yet!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Whiney/crying kids on airplanes are annoying.  I think parents with young children should drive.  That is what I will do.  The world does not revolve around me and my kids and I think it's rude to subject others to hours of screaming because their ears hurt or they are scared.  I made the choice to have a child, they did not.  Why should they have to suffer for what I chose?

This is no place to be spouting sensible opinions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#19]

"First off, the individual was not on the no-fly list. It's a name that on the no-fly list," said IAH Federal Security Director Jim Marchand. "We have many, many people who have common names and a lot of times, that's what happens."

Welcome to America!........we're told that it's not possible to protect our nations physical borders from illegals........while HOMELAND SECURITY keeps 4 year olds from flying........

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
my tax dollars at work
and some people wonder why the gov pisses me off
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
The .gov is unwittingly releasing info about it's pre-crime unit. That 4-year-old punk probably turns into a major terrorist asshole in 20 years. Better he gets weeded out now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In the meantime, the Allens are debating whether to file the paperwork, considering their child has no identification other than his birth certificate.

No SSN for a 4 year old? How are they claiming exemption for him on their Tax return?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#23]
That is interesting, that all the airline got to go on is just a name, how about a description/picture and age?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That is interesting, that all the airline got to go on is just a name, how about a description/picture and age?

That would make too much sense. We can't have that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The .gov is unwittingly releasing info about it's pre-crime unit. That 4-year-old punk probably turns into a major terrorist asshole in 20 years. Better he gets weeded out now.

this kid is mostly likely the anti christ, in 20 years he will rule the world.  they are trying to be pre-emptive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:58:38 AM EDT
[#26]
And this is why proactive parents should not hesitate to give their child a "stupid" name.  

I betcha that Jealous Greenjello Allen will not be mistaken for anyone on the list

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Might have been a ginger kid.  Imagine what those souless gingers could do with an airplane.  Good call if the kid was a ginger, or day walker.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Obviously this four year old kid hates America.

Well, he certainly will, once he understands what's going on.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
These situations can be resolved on the spot if the airline is willing to pick up a farking phone- they still could have flown. I've seen them put grown men on a flight who had a no-fly name match after a five minute call.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Edward Allen's parents say there is no way their son's a terrorist. He doesn't own a gun and has no allegiance to a foreign government. On top of that, he's only four years old.....................

I bet everything that when the Dems get back into power. That will one day become a qualifier in identifiing a terrorist.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In the meantime, the Allens are debating whether to file the paperwork, considering their child has no identification other than his birth certificate.

No SSN for a 4 year old? How are they claiming exemption for him on their Tax return?

But your SSN was not ment to be a form of identification.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

<snip>

"They just said, 'You're on the list' and that's why I had to get clarity," she said. "I asked if we're both on the list. They said, 'No, you're not on the list. He (Edward) is.'"

It turns out the name Edward Allen popped up on the TSA's 'no-fly' list. Unbeknownst to his parents, the little four-year-old was a wanted man. Well, sort of.

<snip>

(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

Simple proof that the government has no idea how to fight "the war on terrorism" and is taking no substantive steps to stop the "boogeyman".
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted: I'm looking for where TSA did anything? It was the airline who stopped the kid.
Yep! And the Continental check-in crew that messed that whole thing up should be FIRED! If they can't handle doing the right thing with a 4 yr. old, then how can we trust them with other things?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#34]
And it's against the law for both the rich and the poor to sleep under a bridge.....IOW, the law's an ass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#35]
A DUI checkpoint could have nabbed this future terrorist before he even got near an airport.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fine with me!

Guess you'll never visit us in the 50th state or travel anywhere else overseas then...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Show the damn receipt next time!  

Heaven forbird people exercise careful judgement in their decision.

Here's how it should have gone.
Airline Employee: "Sir/Ma'am, your son has been flagged on our do not fly list.  Please be patient while I call my supervisor and get this sorted out."
Parents: "Ok, thanks."
AE to supervisor: "Here's the situation, blah blah blah.  I'm going to allow this person to be checked in.  If you don't agree with my decision, fire me now."
Supervisor: "Ok, thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I will take this up with TSA.  Please check in the family."
AE: "Well folks, there you have it."  (Time for check-in elapses.)  "You're all set now, we apologize for the delay.  Enjoy your trip."
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Somewhere there's a guy named Edward Allen who is considered a threat, probably due to fears the raven will show up and cause problems, so everyone named Edward Allen gets stopped since the list likely has no pictures or other way to narrow it down.
But there should be procedures for ticket counter people to make an exception when it is obviously not the person the TSA actually wants banned
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Edit:

Quoted:
We are just seeing the, "we are just following orders" syndrome to the Nth degree. I mean, good grief, can't they see he is FOUR YEARS OLD! What is he going to do, poop in his pant's and knock out all of the crew?!

Section 8 of contigency plan 14 addresses such a scenario.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:26:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
He's a terrorist, he just doesn't know it yet!

He is 4 years old... He's a terrorist.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Welcome to America!........we're told that it's not possible to protect our nations physical borders from illegals........while HOMELAND SECURITY keeps 4 year olds from flying........

Actually, this is proof positive the dips couldn't secure the border. Which is further support for my idea of a 2000 mile berm/public shooting range.

ALL 4 year olds are "terrorists."
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I am glad the TSA isn't in charge of doing background checks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Infortunately the subtext of the story is being overlooked:

The government and the airlines are finally able to have the passenger lists compared to no-fly lists before passengers are allowed onto flights.

Obviously some kinks need to be worked out; the airlines need the authority to override the ID requirement in certain circumstances.  They obviously knew that the little guy wasn't the right person, but they didn't have a way out per the rules.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The TSA has nowhere lower to go after breaking General Joe Foss' balls over trying to board the plane with his Medal of Honor.

Exactly. Fuck the TSA; they're a bunch of incompetent morons.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I say we all chip in and buy the kid an AR..

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#48]
This is not news. Name ONE THING the TSA has done right in the past 20 years.

Any agency that bans someone from flying based on their NAME only must be run by a neanderthal, and staffed by chimpanzees. God help us if there is ever a Tango named John Smith. That would rule out about half a million right there.

SSN, DL, Shoe size, anything would be smarter. And it takes an act of congress to get your name off the list.

ETA -  I take that back. My statement is grossly insulting to primates. The TSA staff is more on the thought level of a single celled Ameoba.

Read this and it becomes evident a significant number of TSA employees are petty thieves as well.

Surveillance camera catches TSA employee rifling luggage
December 16, 2004 at 12:13PM MST

The travel season is here, but, do you feel safe sending your luggage through the airport?

The surveillance video is disturbing. A TSA worker at JFK airport in New York, allegedly rifling through a bag planted by police, removing jewels and money.

This suspect was charged with larceny and possession of stolen property.

Theft has been a problem for as long as travelers have been checking their bags, but now, the TSA is keeping track.

Since taking control of baggage screening nearly two years ago, it's received more than 28,000 complaints of damaged, lost or stolen items. The total value: nearly $36 million

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Fuck up a Wetdream?..
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:18:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Read this and it becomes evident they are petty thieves as well.

Sidebar (Yes I hate them, too.  Not the brightest bunch of people working for the guberment.  They pissed me off good and hard after not allowing me to bring an AR upper in my checked baggage.  There's no regulation that says firearm parts must be in a locked case.  Fuck them!)

About TSA  
Who We Are

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) was created in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 as part of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act signed into law by President George W. Bush on November 19, 2001.  TSA was originally in the Department of Transportation but was moved to the Department of Homeland Security in March 2003.

www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top