Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 1:59:05 PM EDT
I see a lot of the Fortier stuff lately, starting in Shotgun News and now all over in different mags.  I still sometimes see him write content that i disagree with, but he seems to be less full of shit than 90% of the hacks who write for the gun mags, and he writes about black rifles etc, even if he is a Kalisnakov dweeb.

The main thng that I'm curious about though, is that I've noticed that he sometimes refeernces "plasma rifles" and other standards from Arfcom.  Is he a member here?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
yes
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes

+1

and I think he is the coolest nerd I have ever seen.  I like his writing, I can understand it without a dictionary, and it does not always seems like a paid advertisement.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Didn't we just have a thread about this poor guy last week?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The thing that aggrivates me about Fortier is his constant need to let the Reader know all about his wardrobe.

Example (loosely quoted):

"Here's Fortier wearing his Sig Tac tactical pants, Sig tac shirt and Danner boots."

The captions below most of his photos are downright humorous. We have a running joke at the office that the credited photographer (Emily?) is not his wife, but rather his mother taking photos of her boy playing in the backyard.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

+1

and I think he is the coolest nerd I have ever seen.  I like his writing, I can understand it without a dictionary, and it does not always seems like a paid advertisement.

See, I have the exact opposite view.

It seems like he's always pimping some new piece of kit.

Case in point would be the Sig clothing. In the same article, he was reviewing DSA's new M4-type carbine with the new gas system. I've personally known several people who tried them out. Every single rifle had nothing but terrible quality control issues.

Maybe he got the "Special rifle" from the factory...who knows?

I don't trust any firearms or equipment reviews these days unless they come from this website.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

+1

See, I have the exact opposite view.

It seems like he's always pimping some new piece of kit.

Case in point would be the Sig clothing. In the same article, he was reviewing DSA's new M4-type carbine with the new gas system. I've personally known several people who tried them out. Every single rifle had nothing but terrible quality control issues.

I don't trust any firearms or equipment reviews these days unless they come from this website.

My guess is He gets a ton of stuff to test, so much that he has to "multi-task" and wear crap while he is testing guns.  And mentioning what he is wearing is part of the job.  HE is a gun writer, and his reviews are the most truthful ones I have seen and he does mention drawbacks and failures etc.  I am sure he is pimping some stuff, but that is part of the job.  I have seen alot worse out there.  

I like ARFCOM reviews as well, and do tend to lend more credence to them than what an article says.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The one review of his that I read was for the .21 Genghis, and that was enough.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Overall I think he does a good job and I can't recall anything inaccurate he may have wrote unlike alot of the other hacks. She does pimp Larue and others but lets face it's his job and our's to see thru the BS.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I am of the opinion that he's a douche bag.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Gunwritr

Active Stats

Posts Per Day ::

Last Login Date ::
12/26/2005 1:17:07 AM EST

Last Post Date ::
12/16/2005 7:21:38 PM EST  

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I get a good laugh out of his wardrobe.

C'mon now, do you really need to dress up like a warsaw pact soldier to to shoot dirt clods in the yard with your AK?

But I am jelous of the fact he plays with some really cool toys.

As a writer for the rags, he is one of the few that seems to be credible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[

Gun companies usually send the gun to the writer.

You can sure as hell bet they make sure that thing works well before the magazine gets it.

Another reason why I get my reviews here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#13]
He has stated numerous times that when the editor looks at his article, and picks the pictures, that they will caption the photo with shit like, "David is seen wearing pants and shirts made by SigTac", becaue they are trying to advertise products.

I like his articles, and I like the act that he doesnt put bullshit speculation into them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top