Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 11:45:17 AM EDT

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
try peices of dry wall about 4 to 6 inches square, they make a nice puff of dust when hit, and can take a few hits before they need to be replaced. and very cheap
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
We used 2 liter coke bottles filled with water, add food coloring, we used purple or orange. Freeze overnight. Take to your favorite shooting spot the next day in a cooler. Cut off the coke bottle. Throw the cut off plastic bottle in the back off the truck and shoot at the ice target. No mess to clean up later.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]

I found natural targets are cool..  when I'm out on (make believe Recon)  I hunt for enemy cow patties.. the wet one's blow up on impact..  I usually double tap each encounter.  and if you wanna really have fun..  go at it, at a half running pace  

PS..  dont shoot the enemy when the friendly's are at hand  ( moo cows)

Realist
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Take some string, scotch tape & eggs. Hang the eggs about 2-3' down from a beam of wood of some sort & try hitting them from 100 yards with iron sights. Quite the challange & lots of fun. Usually no doubt what is a hit & what is not!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#6]

What the??? You all don't have snow down there?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think it is probably rare in AL.

That is a pretty good idea though.

My uncle is a shop teacher, and he had the kids weld up some heavy duty spinner targets for us. Shot them a couple days ago and they worked really well. A couple of design changes and we should be all set.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is probably rare in AL.

That is a pretty good idea though.

My uncle is a shop teacher, and he had the kids weld up some heavy duty spinner targets for us. Shot them a couple days ago and they worked really well. A couple of design changes and we should be all set.

I know, I was kidding. And I'm jealous too.

And did you shoot at these targets with a rifle?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 ON PAPER PLATES
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And did you shoot at these targets with a rifle?

yeppers, and 9mm pistol
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm a paper plate guy myself.  Although, got drunk at a bowling alley last month and bought some old bowling pins and shot them yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I found natural targets are cool..  when I'm out on (make believe Recon)  I hunt for enemy cow patties.. the wet one's blow up on impact..  I usually double tap each encounter.  and if you wanna really have fun..  go at it, at a half running pace  

PS..  dont shoot the enemy when the hand friendly's are at ( moo cows) they are wet and your in bayo distance.

Realist

Had to make an important correction.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
tagged for some good target ideas.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Clay Pidgeons work well, too...tape em to paper plates, or get some of those holders designed for em. Downside of the holders is that if you're like me and shoot at it as fast as you can until the thing blows up...the holders and alumnium rod that holds it out of the ground, don't last longer than 2 or 3 pidgeons

Easiest "precision" target though would be to get those neon orange round stickies at say an Office Depot, and paste one in the middle of a paper plate. Works great.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Go out to the workshop, garage, storeroom... you know all those cans of spraypaint that are stopped up, but you just can't bring yourself to toss them?  I know they are half full, and you'll come across another nozzle one day... sure!

They make great reactive targets.  I like the red, orange, yellow, and white best.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#16]
My favorites are 16 oz soda bottles filled with water.

I put them in enemy formations and mow them down like alvin york shooting the turkeys farthest back and working my way forward.  I like eschelons!  

They make a nice "explosion" when hit.

And then I recylce them for my nickle, muh hahahahahahaaaaaa

What's that dear, time to take my medicine?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
For plinking with a .22 - try Army men at about 50m using a scope.  It's like direct-fire artillery.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Take some string, scotch tape & eggs. Hang the eggs about 2-3' down from a beam of wood of some sort & try hitting them from 100 yards with iron sights. Quite the challange & lots of fun. Usually no doubt what is a hit & what is not!  

I dunno about anybody else, but it'd be a challenge for me to even SEE an egg at 100yds, much less hit it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
necco's.  stick them all over
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We could have worn shorts the other day...We did get some snow for Christmas, but it was pre-melted...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

PS..  dont shoot the enemy when the friendly's are at hand  ( moo cows)

Realist

Lol, Dude said "moo cows"  

Isn't their a rule about drinking n posting that aint coffee in my cup
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm a paper plate guy myself.  Although, got drunk at a bowling alley last month and bought some old bowling pins and shot them yesterday.

Me too.  Most cost effective training aid I can think of, especially when you buy a jumbo pack at the dollar store.  Every range I go to people give me "the look" when I bust out the paper plates and cardboard cutouts, but I don't see any need to pay for fancy paper targets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:34:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Balloons are fun.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on the ice blocks .

Of course it's allot easier for me to make them
since all I have to do is leave a bunch of full
2gal water buckets outside overnight .

But then , the pics from my range trip today
don't look quite as pleasant as yours

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Your shooting condoms?
You know, theres better things to do with those......
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]

My uncle works at a place that makes air filters and he gets these 12"ish cardboard disks, I like to staple them on the sides of other targets, makes for sighting in easier (these are low because I was at a pistol range with a 35yard max...)

a little on the move action, rifles are totally new to me, I'm just now finishing up my first 1000 rounds in my new LMT AR15.

Here's one good thing about wolf ammo

Clean up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top