Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 10:17:03 AM EDT
God DAMN I'm pissed at these Mofo's.
Here's the shituation.  For X-mas the in laws get me a $200 gift card to BestBuy. WooooHooooo.  So, on 12/26 I go to BestBuy.com and order a PC game and a joystick for next day delivery.  I get to the "Review and Submit Your Order" window, verify all the stuff and click "Submit Your Order".  Then the same damn window shows up with a "system failure...check all your info...resubmit" message, so I do so.  Same shit happens, WITH THE ADDITION that it charged my gift card twice .  I never got to the "Order complete" window, no order number, nada.  

So I call the number on the  back of the gift card, and it was indeed charged $121.46, yet no order was processed!  WTF?!

But wait, there's more.  First, I call their "customer service" number.  They put me on hold for 20 minutes.  Then all they say is "someone from the service team will contact you within three days".  I ask if there's a phone number for the service team, and they say "no".  Then I decide to go to BestBuy's customer service email thingie and fill in all the appropriate stuff.

Finally, three days later (on 12/29) "Tracy" from the customer service dept emails me this ...

"Rich,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about your order charges. I'm Tracy
with Customer Care.

We are sorry that your experience was frustrating.

There is currently a research team investigating the issue. They will be
contacting you within 3 business days.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

So, they charged me $121 for a non-existant order, tell me someone will get to me in three days, and when someone DOES contact me, they tell me it's going to be ANOTHER three days (for an order that was to be shipped Next Day)

Suggestions?

R
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait 3 days?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I HATE BESTBUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

+1
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe you should actually go to the store and get it straightened out.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#7]
BBB

Your Attorney General

FTC
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this, bought a computer with an internet deal several years ago.  3 days later the computer breaks so we go back to the store for a replacement, as we'd bought the warranty.  They try to give me a rain check for the next delivery in 2 weeks.  Now I've already paid so I'm not going home without a computer.

After arguing with the 17 year old in customer service I ask for a manager.  By this point we've been promised 3 things which the staff has all recinded.  She tells me "The manager says..".  I've been up for almost 20 hours, I'm not in the mood to play games.  I tell her "No, I said I wanted to speak to the manager, not for you to tell me what he says."

At this point she tells me they've refunded the computer on my credit card.  Now I didn't ask for this, I simply wanted my replacement computer.  I never said I wanted to return the computer and go home without one!

Manager finally comes down and I complain about the customer service girls attitude, which he ignores my complaint.  Finally get it worked out to where we have to drive halfway across town to pick up a computer from another store that's the same price.

So we go get computer, they charge my card, good to go.

I called the ISP to let them know we had replaced the computer but the internet deal was still good to go and they said they'd make a note of it.

The next day we go back to best buy to transfer the warranty and it's the same 17 year old at customer service.  She sees us and says "Oh, it's you."  I told her we weren't thrilled to see her either.  She asks what she can do for us, I say we need to transfer the warranty.   She goes "Oh, I can do that". I'm irritated with her and say "Oh, finally, something you can do?".  The warranty gets transferred, we leave.

Two days later I'm buying $50 worth of groceries knowing I have roughly $800 in my account.  I'm declined at the store.  The ISP put a hold on over $750 in my account because I had returned the computer to the store and had it credited back to my credit card.  It took me almost two weeks to get the hold released from my account.

I hate best buy and I still hate that little twit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Can you just cash in a Best Buy gift card? got a $75 one for Christmas, But I'll be damn
to shop there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can you just cash in a Best Buy gift card? got a $75 one for Christmas, But I'll be damn
to shop there.

Nooo.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wait 3 days?

I already did, they told me to wait another three.....for something I ordered to be shipped Next Day.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
to shop there.

I'll give you $10 for it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Dept of Consumer Affairs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I love Best Buy...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I HATE BESTBUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

+1

+2

CC isn't much better, but they are more polite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This is what I would do.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what I would do.

and DRAW DOWN!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't care for the place.  I went home to California to visit family and I found Frye's Electronics to be better than Best Buy.  If they dont have a store in your state then I would look at going online.

Max
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't care for the place.  I went home to California to visit family and I found Frye's Electronics to be better than Best Buy.  If they dont have a store in your state then I would look at going online.

Max

hahah that is the funniest thing I've heard all year! Fry's is known for their crappy products and horrible customer service. Granted they have a lot of stuff there, I will only buy from there every other place is out of an item.

For example... I just purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma... BB and CC had a great price on it, but neither store had it in stock. I called around to atleast 8 other retailers around SoCal looking for the tv. Only place that had it was Fry's. Before buying it I requested that they show me the box and let me open the box to make sure it was never taken out of the store prior to my purchase. They finally agreed after some going back and forth. I'd venture to say that over 50% of the stuff that I have bought there had been previously used by another customer and sold to me as brand new.

-d
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Best Buy is chock full of a**holes, idiots, and thieves.

I used to have a Jeep Sahara, and my boyfriend at the time (who had one as well) took me up to BB to get a cd player/radio installed in it.  We pull around back, fill out the paperwork, and were about to leave when one of the install guys wanted to look in my bf's Jeep.  Fine.  Tried to start it, couldn't.  Bf says 'you have to have the cig lighter plugged in to start it, it's the kill switch.'  'Ah, ok.'  We leave, pick my Jeep up later, go home.

That night, while we were asleep, the BB bastards decided to come and UNinstall not only my new radio, but my bf's as well.  Very clean uninstallation, I might add.  They knew exactly what to do.  They took everything in the cars, PLUS his cigarette lighter.  They knew we didn't have alarms on the vehicles, they knew where we lived (from the paperwork), and they didn't install the backup alarm on the radio.  Hmmm...

Huge lesson learned here...#1, I absolutely will NOT put my address or home phone on any paperwork at any store.  If they tell me their product is not for sale without my address, I walk.  #2, Best Buy, and all it's install guys, can rot.

At the BB store by me, we had the same thing happen. The install guys were giving the info to their buddies, which in turn did the dirty work. Luckily, we caught them doing it to another customer. Arrested, charged, and jailed. :)

-d
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
BBB

Your Attorney General

FTC

The BBB is a joke. All they will do is file a report for you. Will they get your money back? NOPE.

You're better off doing your homework and calling the corporate office. If you play your cards right you can get in touch with someone (director, VP, etc...) and they will make it right for you quicker than you could imagine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#23]
BB is horrible. When they first opened they were excellent. However, over the years their customer service has gone down the toilet. I was having a problem with my computer so I took it to the "Geek Squad". They had it for a month! They didn't even look at it until the third week.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Consumer groups exist just for this, MBNA tried to screw me over big time however after contacting a few org's amazingly with in a few weeks they are calling me trying to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never had a single problem with Bestbuy.

Then again, I go into the store and pay with cash.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
www.bestbuysux.org/

Damn, beat me to it.

I'd rather juggle running chainsaws with my penis that buy anything from that shithole.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Finally, three days later (on 12/29) "Tracy" from the customer service dept emails me this ...

"Rich,

Thank you for contacting Best Buy about your order charges. I'm Tracy
with Customer Care.

We are sorry that your experience was frustrating.

There is currently a research team investigating the issue. They will be
contacting you within 3 business days.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
Tracy"

So, they charged me $121 for a non-existant order, tell me someone will get to me in three days, and when someone DOES contact me, they tell me it's going to be ANOTHER three days (for an order that was to be shipped Next Day)

Suggestions?

R

LOL! I got a mindless response from the same person over an X-Mas order I had placed with them. I had caught the error early, called, and was told it was all sorted out. I wait the prescibed time, call again and am told "it's all sorted out, wait x amount of days". Said days expire, no fix, so I call and am told "it's all sorted out, wait x amount of days".

This takes my from the end of November, all the way to the 18th of December. So I call again after the waiting time and am told "it's all sorted out, call me back tomorrow for confirmation". I call the next day and the line at Best Buy says "We're sorry, due to the Christmas rush, we can no longer handle any phone calls"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I am pissed. I write a huge e-mail to that same lady, with copies of all the correspondence pasted into it, explaining it all in detail, and get a three sentence mindless response back from the same lady. No resolution, no suggestions, just more "wait".

In the end I never got the item, wasted a ton of time, and my Wife didn't get the gift because I ran out of time dealing with Best Buy.

Never again will BB get a penny from me...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Try returning something you paid cash for, only to find out that they will mail you a check "in a few weeks".
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Best Buy used to be really good on thier prices, thats about it.

However these days I find Circuit City is starting to be very competative with Best Buy.

I'm giving CC more and more of my business these days.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a crappy experience at Best Buy two days ago...

I got $500 worth of gift cards from my brother for Christmas. After doing the online research, I found a nice Sony 32" flatscreen TV. The price was $549... It also had an "Online discount" that brought the price down to $522... WITH free shipping to my door.
I decided I wanted to go to the store and see what else they had, just in case there was a better deal "in-store".
I arrived at approx 8:45pm...  Did a little looking around, but liked the Sony 32" flatscreen the best.
After spending 10 minutes looking for a salesman, I finally got a guy to take care of me... He pulls up the advertised TV on his screen and tells me the price is $549...  I said that I just saw it online a few minutes ago for $522. He pulls it up online and says "NOPE... Here it is...  $549"
After arguing with him a minute or two, I told him he just lost a sale on a $500 TV and I walk away...
On the way out the door, I mention this to the guy that checks receipts out front. He says: Oh, that's no problem, just see the customer service girl at the front desk. After waiting in line, she tells me that price is for internet purchases only. I said: "Do you mean to tell me, it would be cheaper for me to walk out of the store, go home and have you folks deliver it to my door ??? .... THAT just doesn't make sense to me...  "

I go out to my truck and call my brother (In Mooresville,NC BTW)   I tell him of my problem in the store and he suggests that I give him all the Gift and CC#'s so he can order/pay for the TV online.
It works... I buy the TV for $522... He supplies me with an order confirmation number and I walk back into the store...
I show it to the gal at the customer service counter, and she directs me to another guy at the other end of the counter. After waiting in line a few minutes, I'm finally waited on.
Now, the guy behind the counter won't accept a handwritten confirmation number... He said it needs to be printed out on paper... And that the guys in the computer dept can do that for me...
I finally get the attention of one of the computer guys, and explain the whole situation...  He sends me back to the TV dept...  By now I'm getting pretty pissed...
I go back to the TV dept and find the same salesman that couldn't help me earlier. I show him my order confirmation number and the price I paid. He was surprised, but cool about it. He takes me to a computer terminal in the middle of the store to print out a copy of the order confirmation number... After fumbling around the website a few minutes, he finds my order...   He clicks "Print" and the goddamn printer jams up... Soooo...  We walk back to the TV dept... He's able to find the order on his computer now, and is finally able to print a copy for me.
He tells me to go back to the front of the store and retrieve a big cart for the TV. I come back with a big cart and load the TV on it.
By this time it's almost 9:45pm
I wheel the TV to the front of the store and stop at the customer service counter AGAIN. A different kid waits on me this time, and asks who was taking care of me earlier, that he would go get them. I said: "NOBODY has taken care of me, OR given me more than 5 seconds of thier time yet... YOU will do just fine."
He says: "Oh, OK...   Let's see here"  
He types my order confirmation number into his computer, and gives me a funny look... He turns to a co-worker and hands everything over to him...  This other guy types everything in his computer and says: "Your order is PENDING."
I asked what that meant...  He said:"That means it's pending"
I said it's NOT pending. RIGHT HERE is my order confirmation number and RIGHT HERE it shows the last 4-digits of all the gift cards AND my credit card, INCLUDING the amount charged to those cards. This TV is BOUGHT AND PAID FOR, all I need to do now is LEAVE with it.
He said:"Well as long as it show pending on my screen, it doesn't appear to be paid yet..."

By now I'm absolutely FUMING and having trouble not making a scene...
I said LOOK... I've had enough. I want to speak with the highest ranking individual in the store RIGHT NOW.
The kid walks back to a cubicle and returns with the managers remarks...  The order is PENDING and has not been processed yet....  You can't pick up your order yet.
I said I'd like to speak with the manager RIGHT NOW and IN PERSON.
The manager comes over and is very polite. He asks what the problem is and how may he help.
I said: "I'm going to try and explain this as politely as possible given the circumstances.."
He listens to my whole story and how I've seen and spoken to no less than 6-8 different people, been there no less than an hour, and yet here I am, STILL unable to leave with a TV I've bought and paid for. Including having to order it online via my brother in NC. He says hang loose a sec and we'll get this all squared away... I apologize for all the incompetent seasonal help. He pulls everything up on his computer, looks at my ID and gift cards, and prints out a receipt for me to leave.
FINALLY, I'm able to leave the store at 9:58pm...

WHAT a fucking nightmare.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#31]
What about when you buy something semi-major, and then they won't finalize the deal until they grill you, and try to intimidate you into buying the extended warranties. They won't take no for an answer and just keep going with you like you're on the witness stand or something.

Plus all the while denying, that they get a a kickback from pressuring you in the first place.

These guys make Radio Shack's old name address grilling look tame.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

hahah that is the funniest thing I've heard all year! Fry's is known for their crappy products and horrible customer service. Granted they have a lot of stuff there, I will only buy from there every other place is out of an item.

For example... I just purchased a 50" Panasonic Plasma... BB and CC had a great price on it, but neither store had it in stock. I called around to atleast 8 other retailers around SoCal looking for the tv. Only place that had it was Fry's. Before buying it I requested that they show me the box and let me open the box to make sure it was never taken out of the store prior to my purchase. They finally agreed after some going back and forth. I'd venture to say that over 50% of the stuff that I have bought there had been previously used by another customer and sold to me as brand new.

-d

Funny that you say that.

I mainly go to Fry's now since Shitty Buy and Circuit Shitty rarely have what I need or want.

Fry's prices are good, most of the people there (when you find one that speaks english) are knowledgable, and I can return stuff without getting fussed at.

Only qualm is their check policy, but I mainly pay in cash or with cc now.

Best buy can lick the grease between my cheeks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Same here, but I always pay with the company American Express card.  No matter how badly Best Buy screws-up, a single phone call to American Express fixes everything.  Usually that isn't even required.  I just threaten the Best Buy employee that I'll call American Express.  They know American Express will stand behind the cardholder, so they usually fix the problem then rather than having to pay the inevitable chargeback fee to AmEx.z
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Best Buy and auto parts stores have one thing in common: They tend to hire people who have no earthly idea what the they're doing.

I love how those clowns keep trying to push the extended warranty off on you. I don't even make an attempt at being polite anymore.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Worst store ever. Share your pain.

DONE... and at the top of the page.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Best Buy is chock full of a**holes, idiots, and thieves.

I used to have a Jeep Sahara, and my boyfriend at the time (who had one as well) took me up to BB to get a cd player/radio installed in it.  We pull around back, fill out the paperwork, and were about to leave when one of the install guys wanted to look in my bf's Jeep.  Fine.  Tried to start it, couldn't.  Bf says 'you have to have the cig lighter plugged in to start it, it's the kill switch.'  'Ah, ok.'  We leave, pick my Jeep up later, go home.

That night, while we were asleep, the BB bastards decided to come and UNinstall not only my new radio, but my bf's as well.  Very clean uninstallation, I might add.  They knew exactly what to do.  They took everything in the cars, PLUS his cigarette lighter.  They knew we didn't have alarms on the vehicles, they knew where we lived (from the paperwork), and they didn't install the backup alarm on the radio.  Hmmm...

Huge lesson learned here...#1, I absolutely will NOT put my address or home phone on any paperwork at any store.  If they tell me their product is not for sale without my address, I walk.  #2, Best Buy, and all it's install guys, can rot.

I'm quoting this post because this is a VERY important warning. If you let someone do any kind of high end work on your car, don't take it to a chain store. Someone copied the key in my ex girlfriends Explorer and stole the $1200 audio system that they had installed that morning.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I only buy electronics from Speaker City.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:06:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Wait a minute . . . . we are all members of an online gun forum called AR15.com, wherein people discuss having 10,000 rounds and drilling sub 2 inch groups at 300 yards, and we're asking ourselves "what can we do about this?" LIGHT IT UP, BABY! Who hasn't been screwed by the yellow tag weiner that is Best Buy?!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I love how those clowns keep trying to push the extended warranty off on you. I don't even make an attempt at being polite anymore.

A lot of those guys are paid on commission on warranties. Last I heard, the markup on the average HP Deskjet printer were a friend of mine worked was $-0.05 (yes, they actually sell them at a loss). Average markup on a full computer system is between $10-$20. On the other hand, a warrantee is about 60% profit. Small items like USB cables, case screws, power cords, etc., also have a relatively high markup. There are several computer stores (I can't remember if Best Buy was one of them) where salespeople can get fired for not selling enough warranties (sp?) and small little accessories.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What about when you buy something semi-major, and then they won't finalize the deal until they grill you, and try to intimidate you into buying the extended warranties. They won't take no for an answer and just keep going with you like you're on the witness stand or something.

Plus all the while denying, that they get a a kickback from pressuring you in the first place.

These guys make Radio Shack's old name address grilling look tame.

M4-AK

My name in the radio shack store was always "Jonny Cash"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of those guys are paid on commission on warranties. Last I heard, the markup on the average HP Deskjet printer were a friend of mine worked was $-0.05 (yes, they actually sell them at a loss). Average markup on a full computer system is between $10-$20. On the other hand, a warrantee is about 60% profit. Small items like USB cables, case screws, power cords, etc., also have a relatively high markup. There are several computer stores (I can't remember if Best Buy was one of them) where salespeople can get fired for not selling enough warranties (sp?) and small little accessories.

Best Buy isn't on commission. And no BB doesn't fire people for not selling warranties or accessories. As for the mark up, you'll find that most places make all of their money on the accessories. Cell phone companies are famous for this. Monster cable has built their fortune on selling over priced products that are not even better than the competition.

-d
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
www.bestbuysux.org/

I actually have a story printed on there, about the LAST time I'll ever buy anything there.  Unfortunately I had to go in there after Christmas to return something I was given as a gift and could write another.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#44]
I just buy DVD's from 'em, always get said "hello" too when I come in the door.  

Had some recent good experiences with them:

1) had a 10% off coupon good from Fri-Sunday, so I show up on a Saturday to buy a DVD box set and they're out of stock and I wanted a rain check on the 10% coupon cause the DVD set would be back in stock after the coupon expired, a sales droid initialled the coupon and later the next week went back to BB and they honored it.

2) bought a new release on a Tuesday and realized the price was a $1 or $2 more than what Circuit City had for the same DVD.   Went to customer service counter and made them match the price, they did

3) Another time I bought a Stargate SG1 season DVD set and 3 weeks later it was on sale per their Sunday ad, went back with my original receipt which was less than 30 days old and made them match the current sales price, saved $20 and blew it on more DVD's.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
to shop there.

Sell it on Ebay
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BBB

Your Attorney General

FTC

The BBB is a joke. All they will do is file a report for you. Will they get your money back? NOPE.

You're better off doing your homework and calling the corporate office. If you play your cards right you can get in touch with someone (director, VP, etc...) and they will make it right for you quicker than you could imagine.

I had the manager get someone from corporate on the phone for me while I voiced my complaint to everyone within earshot.  He still could not understand the laptop I had was defective even when the tech told him he could not confirm it hadn't been sold in it's current condition.  I still got charged a restocking fee.  I am going to dispute the charge.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top