Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:52:28 AM EDT
Kodachrome and Agfachrome ruled back then.

WW2 in Color

Some samples...

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool.

Funny though, whenever I think of WWII battles, I always picture them in black and white.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Now that is a gun!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
VERY cool page!  Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF were all these buildings?

Temporary War Department Office Buildings?

They arent  there now.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
WOW.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Two of my all-time heroes:

LtCmdr John C. Waldron w/ Gunner/radio Operator Horace Hobbs take off from USS Hornet on June 6, 1942 to attack the Japanese fleet. This is the last picture ever taken of them.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool Link!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Okinawa....wonder if any of the guys in the pic survived?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Impressive!  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of optic is that on that watercooled MG?  Are those troops Italians, Bulgarians, Romanians.....??????

edited to add: on second look that is probably a spotting scope in the background.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Impressive!  Thanks!  

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What kind of optic is that on that watercooled MG?  Are those troops Italians, Bulgarians, Romanians.....??????

edited to add: on second look that is probably a spotting scope in the background.

They are Swedish Army troops, 1943.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Okinawa....wonder if any of the guys in the pic survived?

"John, isn't this thing supposed to have a spoon??"
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:35:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's some that I like.

Description : B-25 Tests guns on the night before a mission.

P-51 firing rockets

P-40,s of the Flying Tigers, based in China

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/us_navy/aox.sized.jpg

They arent  there now.

"1917
  America enters World War I and Washington's population swells with war workers. Rows of temporary war buildings are erected around the Mall. "

I never seen or heard that before, thats pretty cool pic.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They arent  there now.

WTH the WWII memorial pool is in that pic? That wasn't put in till over 60 years after that pic was taken.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They arent  there now.

WTH the WWII memorial pool is in that pic? That wasn't put in till over 60 years after that pic was taken.

The picture was taken from atop the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial would be on the other side.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They arent  there now.

The picture was taken from atop the Washington Monument, the WWII Memorial would be on the other side.

Nope was just down there last summer. Its on the Washington Monument side. You can check google earth out and see them buliting it. Looks like somone PS it in. Or there was a pool there before and the removed it when they took the buildings down.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They arent  there now.

Nope was just down there last summer. Its on the Washington Monument side. You can check google earth out and see them buliting it. Looks like somone PS it in. Or there was a pool there before and the removed it when they took the buildings down.

Bah, you're right.

Looks like the WWII Memorial destructed the Rainbow Pool that is in that pic.

"The WW II Memorial now divides and blocks the grand open space that was the Mall area between the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. The Coalition opposed this location because it required destruction of the historic Rainbow Pool, part of the 1901-1902 McMillan Plan for the Mall. The Coalition opposed this placement because it severed — both physically and symbolically -- the historic, uninterrupted connection of open space and vista between the monuments to Presidents Washington and Lincoln. And it opposed the memorial in this place because the Memorial plaza’s martial and funerary symbols are better suited to Arlington National Cemetery than to the Mall’s open space dedicated to American founding principles. The massive WW II memorial dwarfs the simple and contemplative memorial for the Signers of the Declaration of Independence in nearby Constitution Gardens, and it encroaches on the Lincoln Memorial grounds and Reflecting Pool."

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hmm, let's see it say's here "'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Some Axis shots I found interesting....

Before WW2, obviously.... S. America?

French SS....I can only imagine what fate awaited them, if they even survived the war....

German POWs, after D-Day, I think....

Sunken Greek battleship Kriti, a former US pre-dreadnought BB, IIRC.....

Dunkirk, 1940, after the Germans came in...

SS Cav. Div. Florian Geyer, Russia

Hungarian infantryman

Finnish soldiers- not Germans.

More German POWs

Gun pr0n....

Italian ground crew working on Macchi 200 fighter

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Why, exactly, were the Finns on Germanys side? IIRC, its from a conflict they had with Russia. Is that about it?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys.I've got to save this for my Dad (WWII vet)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why, exactly, were the Finns on Germanys side? IIRC, its from a conflict they had with Russia. Is that about it?

There are people on this site who are a lot more qualified to comment on this than I, but what the hell, I'll bite, feel free to comment:

Until Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, the USSR was Germany's ally, in many ways. But not always. Both countries were seen as the enemy of the West, however.  When the USSR invaded Finland in late 1939, the West (France, GB, USA, Sweden, et al), as well as Germany, aided the Finns politically, financially and militarily. After suffering huge Red Army casualties, the Soviets eventually prevailed, and won against little Finland, forcing heavy penalties from the Finns who had dared resist them.....

One Finnish soldier to another, upon seeing the waves of Russian soldiers invading Finland: "So many Russians!"

Other Finnish soldier: "Yes- where are we going to bury them all?"

In June 1941, the Germans and their Axis allies invaded the Soviet Union. The Finns, looking at the alternatives, and trying to get back their territory, and survive, threw in their lot with the Germans. At that time, it looked like Germany was going to win the war, even to many people in America.

Note that the West, incl. Britain and America, did not ever declare war on Finland in the 2nd World War, even when the Russians were our allies against the rest of the Axis.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are people on this site who are a lot more qualified to comment on this than I, but what the hell, I'll bite, feel free to comment:

Until Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941, the USSR was Germany's ally, in many ways. But not always. Both countries were seen as the enemy of the West, however.  When the USSR invaded Finland in late 1939, the West (France, GB, USA, Sweden, et al), as well as Germany, aided the Finns politically, financially and militarily. After suffering huge Red Army casualties, the Soviets eventually prevailed, and won against little Finland, forcing heavy penalties from the Finns who had dared resist them.....

One Finnish soldier to another, upon seeing the waves of Russian soldiers invading Finland: "So many Russians!"

Other Finnish soldier: "Yes- where are we going to bury them all?"

In June 1941, the Germans and their Axis allies invaded the Soviet Union. The Finns, looking at the alternatives, and trying to get back their territory, and survive, threw in their lot with the Germans. At that time, it looked like Germany was going to win the war, even to many people in America.

Note that the West, incl. Britain and America, did not ever declare war on Finland in the 2nd World War, even when the Russians were our allies against the rest of the Axis.

Well spoken.

Never piss off the Finns . . . they are quite mean . . . handed the Russians their a$$e$, but Quantity has a quality all its own.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/albums/other/french_ss.jpg
French SS....I can only imagine what fate awaited them, if they even survived the war....

Not SS, look at the collars and the grey uniforms.  Wermacht, yes, but not SS.  Admitedly, they still got their necks stretched after the war, but they did not get their balls cut off first (or something like that).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top