Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:10:43 AM EDT
As is my custom this time of year, I have been reflecting upon the year that was 2005, and have come to a suprising conclusion:

2005 sucked. Big time.

This year has been a seemingly endless string of bad news. With the exception of the miraculous recovery of a friend who almost died in Feb. of 2005, the rest of the year was one awful event after another. Layoffs, deaths, surgeries, property loss, repair bills....You name something bad and it either happened in my family or to other people close to me. About once a week in 2005 I could be caught remarking to myself: "I really need to take up drinking..."

Even for the world in general it seems to have been a mighty sucky year.

Tsunamis, hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, terrorism....The rest of the planet doesn't seem to have fared much better, indeed upon seeing what others have gone through, 2005 could have been a heck of a lot worse for me personally.

If 2005 has kicked you in the face as well, then join with me in giving 2005 a well deserved and unceremonious heave into the garbage dump of history, and lets all pray that 2006 is a hell of a lot better for everyone.

If 2005 sucked for you too, tell us why.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on! 2005 had to suck for someone else too!!

Bump
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My closest, dearest uncle died in January of 2005. That was tough. Real tough.

My son, who was born November 30th, 2004, had a rough time of it (born with clubfoot) for about six months. As any parent knows, if baby has a rough time, everybody    has a rough time. He's doing much better now (four castings, one surgery, two sets of shoes/braces later).

2005 was pretty darn good for me, business-wise.

All-in-all, I'd say it was a good year. Still a little bummed over my uncle Dwight, though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
While I am grateful for evey year God lets me grace the earth.... yes, 2005 was not a stellar year for myself.  Glad to see it go and looking forward to next year.

But, respectfully thankfull for all the blessings bestowed upon me in 2005 at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I posted this in another thread, but I am fuggin' glad to see 2005 go bye-bye!!    

My grandmother, 1st cousin and dog died this year.  All within the last 4  months.  

Kinda strange to admit this, but I miss my dog the most.  She really broke down my emotional barriers and stole my heart.

We almost lost our house due to a reduced income caused by illness, all straightened out.

Just not a very good year for my wife and I.

We are hanging in there, I am committed to making 2006 a much better year.

I just hope everyone is healthy and happy--as they can be!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed.  2005 sucked for me.  My wife had a miscarriage, had some vehicle breakdowns and accidents, had to deal with an ugly lawsuit, and had an investment in someone else's business take out half my net worth.  My brother moved away to Alaska, and a cousin attempted suicide.

2005 did end on a good note for us, though.  My wife found out Dec 22nd that she is pregnant again, and I won a consulting contract worth more money in 2006 than I have made in the previous 3 years combined.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
worst year of my life-lost job X2, marriage broken up, got arrested for bull shit,
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it sucked for me too.  But thinking about it (listing the crap, pending divorce, cancer, about to lose job for bs claim that I was misusing a client computer, high bills due to wife so I'm barely breaking even to pay bills, don't know what I'll do next month, etc.), I am pretty sure about what I can take.  I know I'm not suicidal. I've learned what true friends are. And hell, I'm alive. That's always a good start.

But no, I won't really miss '05 at all, in any way.
A new year with a new start.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If 2005 was a person that showed up on my doorstep, I would have put a bullet in his head immediately.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
2005 sucked for everyone around me.

I've had my fair share of setbacks, but I have had some great advances too. I'd say that I broke even.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If 2005 was a person that showed up on my doorstep, I would have put a bullet in his head immediately.

+2000.

Fuck 2005.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Grandpa Chad died.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#13]
2004 AND 2005 both sucked.

Hopefully 06 will be better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Was a pretty average year for me personally. If I hold a grudge against '05, that'll probably just mean '06 will be worse, so I offer it a respectable farewell.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Guys, it sounds like some of you have had a rougher time than most.

I sincerely wish you all the very best!!

Here is to you!!    
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]

I'm shocked at the amount of negativity in this thread.

I had a great year and next year will be twice as good.

If it is not, then it is probably going to be my fault.

I wish ALL of y'all a GREAT '06.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh. I have seen worse years. A lot worse.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thought that way about 2004. Things have been improving, if not where I want them to be.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Rating 2005, lets see....

Professionaly, I managed to burn some coworkers who wanted to get into a shit slinging contest. Life's tough when you play for keeps. Even got promoted out of the deal.

Personal life, it seems that everyone I have feelings for has tried to use me. The me first syndrome is close to home and doing well. Family wanting money and favors, friends borrowing and in some cases stealing, useing me because I am too easy.

Some of the family that I love the most is on thier last days on this earth, and I will miss them more than anything. Two of the coolest and most understanding aunts anyone could ever be blessed enough to have. God bless them.

2005 was at best a wash, but in reality a bust. Good riddance.

For 2006, in my future I see more Crown, gunpowder, and fishbait. I plan to wear blinders and earplugs as much as possible, tune into my needs and ignore the rest.

HAPPY NEW Fu@$%&g YEAR   FULLCLIP
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy CRAP! glad i'm not the only one who had a fucked up year. Not that i want someone else to but i thought for sure God was picking on me.
#1 Girlfriend dies on jan 19. Partially my fault.
#2 Granmother of 85 falls outbed and breaks her neck. Survives but now has to live with me permantly and has become invalided.
#3 December 14 accident with gun end up with metal in my eye and in the hospital for 2 days. Can still see though.
#4 Chronic ear infection occours after a 1 year absence.
#5 car dies on me and leaves me stranded 3 times in two months after mechanic rips me off for $600.
#6 general shit happens to the world.
#7 have to move out of my room to make room for grandmother, house looks like warehouse for 3 months with all the shit to move.
#8 general death threat from brother of girlfriend.

But other than that, things are going great. And no i won't talk about any of this stuff so don't ask.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#21]
2004 was my best year ever in my short life so far.
2005 sucked the big one, lost the job that made 2004 kick ass.
2006 should be ok going back to college 21 year old college sophomore great
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Holy CRAP! glad i'm not the only one who had a fucked up year. Not that i want someone else to but i thought for sure God was picking on me.
#1 Girlfriend dies on jan 19. Partially my fault.
#2 Granmother of 85 falls outbed and breaks her neck. Survives but now has to live with me permantly and has become invalided.
#3 December 14 accident with gun end up with metal in my eye and in the hospital for 2 days. Can still see though.
#4 Chronic ear infection occours after a 1 year absence.
#5 car dies on me and leaves me stranded 3 times in two months after mechanic rips me off for $600.
#6 general shit happens to the world.
#7 have to move out of my room to make room for grandmother, house looks like warehouse for 3 months with all the shit to move.
#8 general death threat from brother of girlfriend.

But other than that, things are going great. And no i won't talk about any of this stuff so don't ask.

Damn dude......

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#23]
It sucked but it was good at the same time.  Good riddance though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Sold my house. Had to get rid of my wood working tools due to lack of space. 1 daughter moved out. The other went off to college. Went from a family of 4 to living alone.

... Oh yeah, I got divorved, not necessarily bad now that its final.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#25]
After reading the "Topic" line I'm disappointed to find that John_Wayne777 didn't mention me by name as the bane of his existence.  Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but... 2005 was one of the best years of my life.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I hate to rain on your "I hated 2005" post, but it was a great year for me.

Although Hurricane Rita did some damage to my property, I have about fixed everything it tore up.

All in all, God was good to me in 2005.  Just like the 56 years preceeding it.

I will trust Him for 2006.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I was going to bitch,but after reading about everyone else's woes,I'll shut up.Me and wife and kids are all alive and well. I ain't asking for any more than that!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm almost embarrassed to post this, but... 2005 was one of the best years of my life.

Not everybody gets wet when it rains. If it was a good year for you, rejoice.

So far 2006 is going better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Pretty Good.

Last year in college is going great.  I found out I will have a job waiting for in June when I return home from college.

Sorry about everybody elses shitty 2005s.

-Fidel
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:03:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not everybody gets wet when it rains.  

I thought the rain fell on the righteous and the unrighteous alike?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not everybody gets wet when it rains.  

Waoh!!!

Old Rodent is holding back on us.

Good job.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#34]

2005 was, personally, a terrible year.  Not as bad as some recent years, but overall, terrible.

I'm still trapped in a small town in Kansas, searching for job opportunities here and all over the place, and the only job offers I have had, I wasn't able to take for various reasons that, in hindsight, aren't important.

So, 2006 will see completion of my thesis, my two research projects, and hopefully a professional job here or elsewhere that gets my post-graduate career off to a good start.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

It does. 2005 sucked for me and lots of others. 2006 may suck for you. One never knows.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was going to bitch,but after reading about everyone else's woes,I'll shut up.Me and wife and kids are all alive and well. I ain't asking for any more than that!

+1

Whenever I start feeling like my life is starting to tank, this place - and the news - gives me a good ass-kickin' reality check.  My life is wonderful, despite the incredibly-tiny-in-perspective obstacles.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Other than spending $3000 + to get my hand put back together, 2005 was a pretty good year for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#38]
It was definitely not a good year for me either.  2006 has the potential to be a fantastic year.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I experienced interesting times during 2005...mostly good times. Got more into building my own AR's (now working on the wife's) and guns in general.  My wife and I are closer to living off of our own biz.

On the "mixed blessing" side of things, I had a stage 1A melanoma removed from my ear.  I think this was actually somewhat of a good thing as it sure changed my focus in life (or maybe the lack of life).

All in all, 2005 was good for us.

2006 is going to be very interesting as we will become "empty nesters" later this summer.

Other than hurricane Rita, I've got to "+1" O_P's comments WRT 2005.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And what makes you think 2006 will be better?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
As is my custom this time of year, I have been reflecting upon the year that was 2005, and have come to a suprising conclusion:

2005 sucked. Big time.

Amen.

Don't feel like listing the reasons. I'm moving forward.

So long, 2005! FOAD!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Millions of new jobs created.

WHERE?

Doing WHAT?

I'm serious, because I am not seeing it around here.  Not just my job search--I mean everyone in this area, from factory floor sweepers to university professors.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
2005 started out real bad for me, got a little better during the middle and finished strong towards the end.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got a theory when it comes to good days and bad days.  God gives you a thousand good days for every bad day you get.  You can take those thousand good days and piss them away, or turn them into bad days, but they were given to you as good days.  Things like a cold or slamming your thumb with a hammer or a speeding ticket don't make a bad day; that's an inconvenience.  Cancer makes it a bad day.  Your dog dying is a bad day.  The tsunami is a bad day.  Some of you guys had like your next twenty years of bad luck this year.  Some of you make your own bad luck for yourselves.  Some of you just are focusing on a couple of problems and forgetting all of the good days that have come since and before.  So, happiness is your responibility.  Don't worry about the unhappiness; that'll happen without any assistance from you.  

You know what happened to me in 2005?  

Sunsets.
My kids' birthdays.
Naps with my wife on the couch.
Lake City .30-06 delivered to my house by UPS.
Buffalo wings and Leininkugels beer.
Patrick O'Brian novels.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]
1. I moved out of California, and bought a couple AR's.
2. I got a CCW.
3. For the first time in my life, I have been able to visit my family on a whim.
4. For the first time in my life, I can shoot on my own property.
5. I make more money here in Ohio than I did last year in California.
6. I have one of the coolest jobs ever.
7. I bought an 05 Mustang GT.
8. I watched my daughter - now three years old - progress from "Dada I hungry" to (and I quote) "When do I get a gun like yours, daddy?"
9. I've met ALOT of interesting people, and even get to live across the street from a cool-ass Marine (my age).
10. My grandmother just gave me a Michigan beanie she knitted for me (my wife got an OSU equivalent)

Best year ever, by a long shot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#47]
2004 was the real bitch.  BAD.

2005 was more of a catharsis year, than "suck" year.  Divorce was finalized, and the legal/financial bullshit of the house refinance etc. were finally taken care of.

2006 is looking up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I've got a theory when it comes to good days and bad days.  God gives you a thousand good days for every bad day you get.  You can take those thousand good days and piss them away, or turn them into bad days, but they were given to you as good days.  Things like a cold or slamming your thumb with a hammer or a speeding ticket don't make a bad day; that's an inconvenience.  Cancer makes it a bad day.  Your dog dying is a bad day.  The tsunami is a bad day.  Some of you guys had like your next twenty years of bad luck this year.  Some of you make your own bad luck for yourselves.  Some of you just are focusing on a couple of problems and forgetting all of the good days that have come since and before.  So, happiness is your responibility.  Don't worry about the unhappiness; that'll happen without any assistance from you.  

You know what happened to me in 2005?  

Sunsets.
My kids' birthdays.
Naps with my wife on the couch.
Lake City .30-06 delivered to my house by UPS.
Buffalo wings and Leininkugels beer.
Patrick O'Brian novels.

PREACH IT Brother!

I've been saying this for years. I'm happy because I want to be.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#49]
i joined arfcom and bought my first firearm in 2005.  wasn't that bad of a year for me!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Come on! 2005 had to suck for someone else too!!

Bump

sucked balz for me. Shredded 3 discs in the spine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top