Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 6:36:54 AM EDT
     Watched a show on History channel last nite that was about the d day assault by the rangers.  There was a sgt. who destroyed 5 large cannons with thermite grenades.  The show explained what they were and how effective they were.  They also stated that they were no longer used.  If that is true what were they replaced with?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I had four when I went into Iraq.  they were in case we had to abandon the vehicle, one on the radio, one on the engine, one on the .50 and one on the LRAS
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a friend that used to make thermite bombs in high school... i wonder where he is now
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
We have one in every HMMWV truck. If we have to abandon it, we dump it on the radio stack and bail.

Its technically called an incindiary grenade, but they are filled with a thermite compound. Melt down to the local center of gravity.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
we had them in the first gulf war.  used in case we needed to distroy our radio and sat com equipment as well as the CEOI logs.  The military still uses them.  They can eat a truck engine in no time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had a friend that used to make thermite bombs in high school... i wonder where he is now

the one i went to highschool with came very close to losing a hand
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
     Thanks for the replies.  I kind of thought something that effective would still be used.  Makes you kind of wonder about how much research goes into some of these types of shows.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Have em in all our vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm doing fine, thanks.

efxguy
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  I kind of thought something that effective would still be used. Makes you kind of wonder about how much research goes into some of these types of shows.

The History Channel still uses 'dynamite' and 'TNT' interchangeably.

The Achilles Heal of homemade thermite is making reliable igniters that will ignite from a black powder fuse.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
man we had cases of those things in Iraq,  it's primary purpose to burn sensitive items if we had to abandon a site or a vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a good video.

Fun with Thermite
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
     Watched a show on History channel last nite that was about the d day assault by the rangers.  There was a sgt. who destroyed 5 large cannons with thermite grenades.  The show explained what they were and how effective they were.  They also stated that they were no longer used.  If that is true what were they replaced with?

The H Channel is probably referring to an M34 WP (Willie Peter) this grenade scatters fragments of burning white phosphor. The Geneva Convention prohibits the use of this grenade against personnel.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#13]
ow!  that thing has got to be pretty horrible
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#14]
EOD uses thermite burnout landmines and the like. I wiped out a dumprtuck full of VS1.6 with a bundle of thermites. I think the main reason you don't see the WP grenade very often is that you can't throw it out of your own frag radius.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here is a good video.

Fun with Thermite

cool video, "because it's french."
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is a good video.

Fun with Thermite

cool video, "because it's french."

letting a cannon fuse burn through 100 yards of grass....

Letting thermite burn things on that same gras....

Doesn't seem like they were very fire conscience....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
EOD uses thermite burnout landmines and the like. I wiped out a dumprtuck full of VS1.6 with a bundle of thermites. I think the main reason you don't see the WP grenade very often is that you can't throw it out of your own frag radius.

I hope they are making better Thermite grenades, I remember training with them and we often would have trouble with the 1950's vintage grenades funtioning as designed.  Some lots were excellent, some sucked ass!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Most lots I get are still from the 50's Ironicly enough I am stationed on the same place that makes them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Thermite grenades burn at insanely hot temperatures to destroy big metal things (like mortar tubes, artillery blocks, or mechanical or automotive trunnions, and radio and crypto code machines) or densely-packed paper (filing cabinets, safes loaded with crypto or classified reports, etc) by placing on top of the safe and letting it burn through to the floor.  I would be surprised if they have been discontinued.

We also had Thermite Destructors which looked like a 1 or two-inch thick plate, loaded with the same thermite burn compounds but with the same grenade fuze head, spoon, and pin for big safes, radios, and computers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The H Channel is probably referring to an M34 WP (Willie Peter) this grenade scatters fragments of burning white phosphor. The Geneva Convention prohibits the use of this grenade against personnel.

I don't think that's the reason.  The 1980 ban on flame or incindiery devices only prohibited the intentional use on civillians.
http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/instree/1980e.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top