Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 10:40:40 PM EDT
Actually, I was just outside the White House, on the Elipse where they have all the Christmas trees and the Menorah.  It's my first time in DC in several years, and the feeling you get standing so close to the WH gets better every time.  I was visiting my GFs family and we went out to dinner in DC.  Maybe next time he can help arrange a REAL tour for me.  He's a retired high ranking military officer and am told has good connections.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait till you get to see the controls to the Halliburton Hurricane Machine!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

LOLOLOLOLOL
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
... Please, for fuck sake, tell us you took a camera inside for a range report!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I took a tour of the White House in 1999, I had to get up at 0530, to wait for tickets.

niceguymr: get your friend to take you on a tour of the Pentagon, tours are available only if you know someone.  The tours were discontinued after the Sept 11, 2001 WTC/Pentagon attack.  But there is nothing really exciting to see there, the whole place remains of a shopping mall, and a huge office building, no tanks, planes, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I toured the Whitehouse in 72 and again in 92. The tour was much better in 72. You don't get to see nearly as much of the mansion now as you did then.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I took a tour of the White House in 1999, I had to get up at 0530, to wait for tickets.

niceguymr: get your friend to take you on a tour of the Pentagon, tours are available only if you know someone.  The tours were discontinued after the Sept 11, 2001 WTC/Pentagon attack.  But you there is nothing really exciting to see there, the whole remains of a shopping mall, and a huge office building, no tanks, planes, etc.

The Pentagon has lots of great things to see.  I remember spending days checking out the 1000's of war photos.  Planes, Ships, etc.  Models of both.  Lots of great corridors to checkout.  The purple water fountain...  The Goal Post, which I'm sure is gone.  etc...

Been a long time since I've been there and it would be neat to see how it has changed in the past 15-20 years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
... Please, for fuck sake, tell us you took a camera inside for a range report!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I want a tour of the roof ........They dont seem to show it much these days . It keeps morphing along year after year .
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

niceguymr: get your friend to take you on a tour of the Pentagon, tours are available only if you know someone.  The tours were discontinued after the Sept 11, 2001 WTC/Pentagon attack.  But you there is nothing really exciting to see there, the whole remains of a shopping mall, and a huge office building, no tanks, planes, etc.

Just request TDY there.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 for wanting to see pics.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Years ago my parents went to Thailand for a couple of weeks. My mother used to work with a Thai woman who called her relatives back in Thailand to meet my parents and show them around town. The first place they took my parents after they got off the plane was to a McD's because they thought my parents would like some food they're used to (I think that was the very first, and probably last, time my parents have ever been to a McD's).  

One of the Thai woman's uncles is a retired Thai Army General who arranged for my parents to have a private tour of the Royal Palace in Bangkok (public tours are available but it was closed to the public on the day they went). Apart from the normal palace tour they were shown through parts of the palace that are not part of the normal public tour so that was a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

One of the Thai woman's uncles is a retired Thai Army General who arranged for my parents to have a private tour of the Royal Palace in Bangkok (public tours are available but it was closed to the public on the day they went). Apart from the normal palace tour they were shown through parts of the palace that are not part of the normal public tour so that was a bonus.

Yeah, but do the Thais have a Hurricane Machine?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm tempted to say thay have a tidal wave machine but that's probably a bit crass considering how many Thais died when the last one hit them.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#15]
me, taken from the secret service observation post across the street...
(it's also known as the Hay Adams Hotel)

and this would be the president's church...

you can stay there for a pittance per night...

keep the keys though, nice souv...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
me, taken from the secret service observation post across the street...
(it's also know as the Hay Adams Hotel)
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/DSCN1841_sm.jpg

and this would be the president's church...
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/DSCN1838_sm.jpg

you can stay there for a pittance per night...
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/DSCN1832_sm.jpg

keep the keys though, nice souv...
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/hay-adams-key_sm.jpg

ar-jedi

Now that how you report in live from the White House!

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Now that how you report in live from the White House!

the bar/lounge in the basement of the Hay Adams, called "Off The Record", is sooooo very cool.
it's upscale and dark with a U-shaped bar and cubbies along the perimeter.  
you can only imagine the wheeling and dealing that went on in there over the years.  

"so i heard there was a break-in over at the Watergate hotel..."

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My parents took us to the White House in 1961. While we were there President Kennedy walked by down the hall and stopped and waved.  I went back to the White House in the early 1970s and again with my kids in the 1990s.  The feeling of history is overwhelming.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The feeling of history is overwhelming.

that is for sure!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is for sure!

ar-jedi

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/DSCN1836_sm.jpg

hubba
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is for sure!
ar-jedi
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/tempdir/DSCN1836_sm.jpg

hubba

she's married, carries a Sig, and can kick both your and my asses in the span of 10 seconds.

i tread very lightly around the house.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Maybe next time he can help arrange a REAL tour for me. He's a retired high ranking military officer and am told has good connections.

Cool, maybe next time you'll get to meet the big guy
Karl Rove!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top