Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 12:46:52 PM EDT
What's the procedure for buying a handgun in Tennessee?
Is it the same everywhere in the state?
I want to send a handgun to my brother in TN and was curious what's involved on his end. I know it has to go to a FFL in TN, what else is there?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok Priceton, the deal is you mail it to a ffl in Tenn, your brother goes to that ffl and fills out form 4473, a background check is ran on your brother, if he passes he pays for said check and transfer fee and walks out the door.
What part of Tenn? I may be able to hook you up to what I consider to be the best ffl you will find anywhere if its close enough.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
He's in north west TN.
He was told something about giving a fingerprint and it going to the local police office for a background check?
Never heard of that before.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He was told something about giving a fingerprint and it going to the local police office for a background check?
View Quote

Negative on the Police Dept.  Just about any gun shop will do a transfer for a $25 fee.

He's got to contact his local dealer, ask the dealer to send your dealer an FFL transfer letter (note: most FFL's in Tennessee will only do a transfer fron another FFL, not from a private citizen)

When your FFL ships the gun to his FFL and it arrives, your brother goes down to the gun shop, fills in the 4473, he then gives the dealer his L & R thumb prints on a seperate form.  

The dealer calls in the information, and in about 10 minutes, your brother forks over $10 for the TN Instacheck fee and $25 or so for the transfer fee and he's ready to walk.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#4]
he then gives the dealer his L & R thumb prints on a seperate form.
View Quote

What's the prints for?
I thought he was mistaken when he told me about the prints.

Thanks Again
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Prints are given everytime you purchase a gun from a dealer These stay with the paperwork at the FFL. I'm in west TN. Email me if you need the name of a good dealer (not many left these days) who will do the transfer for $20-25.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 5:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help
He found a store real close to his home that only charges $20.
I'm not sure of the name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top